350 bucks left to spend on my crazy $4K rig on $13/hr job

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dlock13

Platinum Member
Oct 24, 2006
I need $350. I would be glad to take it off your hands. :[
Pweeze.
Broke college student = NOT GOOD.

Shadowknight

Diamond Member
May 4, 2001
Fan controller, quieter fans, Acoustipack Deluxe, and a passive heatsink for your VGA card.*

*Hardcore member of silentpcreview

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000
Wow... buying a $4000 computer on a $13/hr job? Talk about a terrible idea...

biggestmuff

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2001
Originally posted by: silverpig
Originally posted by: nomrah
Use it to clean yourself up and then take a girl out on a date.

Seems the whole purpose of the computer is to avoid just that :)

Investing in a good monitor and a good case are worth it. Everything else should be bang for the buck unless you really need it for work or something.

Did you just say, "investing". Bwahahah! You and the OP should be :eek:

Locut0s

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
Well I have saved $20,000+ from same said job and continue to save more and the computer was payed in full on the spot, well onto credit card then paid off the card right away. So I do know how to save. Don't plan on staying at this job, though I'm happy there right now. Plan on going back to university, much of the savings are for this. The computer and other things I've bought are a few splurges I indulge myself in. I have no rent, bills or expeces so others with this level of income spend way more on these expenses than I am. Anyway I'm happy with the purchase and where I am in life right now which is what counts for me so I don't really care what others think.

Thanks for those who offered a few real suggestions.

her209 KillerNIC doesn't offer any real performance benefits to speak of, you are mostly just paying for marketing hype. Same can be said for ALL monster cable products.

Nocturnal I have a cheap but I think good quality surge protector from APC. I don't need a real UPS as I'm not working on mission critical files here.

keeleysam I like the tuner card idea but I can't remember if HDTV is broadcast over the airwaves here in Canada or not, I know it's available through cable though.[/b]

Locut0s

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
Originally posted by: Lonyo
$4k rig and you only have 3GB RAM and 2.1 speakers?

1/2 of that is for the monitor and the other 1/2 for the rig so it isn't a crazy expensive rig in and of itself. With a 32bit OS it would be silly to get 4Gigs of RAM and I don't need anything more than 2.1 speakers.

Locut0s

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
Originally posted by: Capt Caveman
Save the money b/c something better is going to be coming out in a month or two and you'll want to upgrade.

Yeah that is a definite possibility. I was thinking of eventually upgrading the video card once the next next generation video cards become cheaper, 2560x1600 is taxing on a video card :)

soydios

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2006
4x2GB=8GB of DDR2 and Vista Ultimate x64 (I'm running 4x1GB and Vista Ultimate x64, and Superfetch is very happy)
for that much money, go big or go home

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Pfft I don't work on mission critical stuff but I have a decent $200 APC UPS. One time, it let me look up the phone number for nyseg when my power was out so I could be all "hey doods, the power is out."

Why not a 5.1 speaker system? Like the Logitech Z5500 or the Z5450.

Locut0s

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
Originally posted by: Aikouka
Pfft I don't work on mission critical stuff but I have a decent $200 APC UPS. One time, it let me look up the phone number for nyseg when my power was out so I could be all "hey doods, the power is out."

Why not a 5.1 speaker system? Like the Logitech Z5500 or the Z5450.

I still don't want ot get a UPS, I think the surge protector I have should sufice, besides I don't live in a storm pron area, I think we've lost power like 1 or 2 times in the 10 years I've lived here.

As for the speakers I used to have a 5.1 system with my old computer. A Cambridge Soundworks system. We live in a town house complex so I could never crank that baby up enough to make it worth it. Besides we have a home theatre system in the basement for that kind of thing.

Locut0s

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
Originally posted by: soydios
4x2GB=8GB of DDR2 and Vista Ultimate x64 (I'm running 4x1GB and Vista Ultimate x64, and Superfetch is very happy)

I've thought of upgrading to more RAM and installing Vista 64 but not yet. I'm going to be doing some web page design and 3D animation, and still CGI work on this system in the future and I'll take a look at the situation then when I'm really starting to work this system out. Besides I don't want to go with Vista 64 until at least 1 service pack is out and drivers become a little more stable.

Locut0s

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
Originally posted by: randay
Originally posted by: Zolty
spinning rims

buy some land! buy some land!

Oh wow 350 bucks worth of land, maybe I could just afford a 1 day time-share somewhere in skid row but I'd have to negotiate with the other crack heads to see when they are shooting up!

mb

Lifer
Jun 27, 2004
Originally posted by: Locut0s
Originally posted by: soydios

I've thought of upgrading to more RAM and installing Vista 64 but not yet. I'm going to be doing some web page design and 3D animation, and still CGI work on this system in the future and I'll take a look at the situation then when I'm really starting to work this system out. Besides I don't want to go with Vista 64 until at least 1 service pack is out and drivers become a little more stable.

Stupid cop out. Vista x64 and 64bit drivers have been stable for some time now.