$33B in ship building contracts from Canadian government

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dominato3r

Diamond Member
Aug 15, 2008
And Quebec was left out, which will make for some interesting political news over the next little while.

na1019_shipbuilding.jpg

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Ea...ng+contracts+Quebec+frozen/5574607/story.html
OTTAWA — A cross-country political dogfight over shipbuilding contracts ended in a win for both coasts Wednesday, as the federal government awarded $33 billion in contracts to drydocks in Halifax and Vancouver and froze out Quebec.

Irving Shipbuilding in Halifax will receive a $25-billion naval vessel building contract, while Seaspan Marine in Vancouver will receive an $8-billion contract for building coast guard and other non-navy ships.

A third shipyard, Davie Shipyard in Levis, Que., was not chosen by the arm's-length body tasked with awarding the contracts.

Ichigo

Platinum Member
Sep 1, 2005
Oh is that what we're paying for? Why spend money on health/education when we can play real life battleship.

RbSX

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2002
The offshore patrol ships are a waste of time, the Kingston Class offshore ships are fairly new (e.g. built in the last 12 years) and not operational because of lack of human resources.

Likewise, I hope these ships are in addition to the Halifax Class Frigates which are less than 20 years old (the newest being 14 years old)

Last edited:

RbSX

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2002
Oh is that what we're paying for? Why spend money on health/education when we can play real life battleship.

Oh please STFU hippy, we already have some of the cheapest post secondary education and our health care is free (which, imho, it should be two tiered).

Dominato3r

Diamond Member
Aug 15, 2008
The offshore patrol ships are a waste of time, the Kingston Class offshore ships are fairly new (e.g. built in the last 12 years) and not operational because of lack of human resources.

Likewise, I hope these ships are in addition to the Halifax Class Frigates which are less than 20 years old (the newest being 14 years old)

From what I've read they are capable of going into the arctic but many speculate that their ice-breaking capabilities are pretty shitty.

iGas

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2009
The battle has been going on for years, and Quebec was hoping to get federal bail out money so that they can jump on the bid (Quebec shipyard has been in receivership for quite along time now and need $280+ millions CAD to keep the creditors off their back).

It has been known for a while the West couldn't handle the ship building contract, because there hasn't been ship building activities since the fast cat fiasco (skill ship builders all went to the East or South). Hence, the West are only looking at the refitting contract, and smaller ship building that worth much less.

I'm glad to hear that the bidding is over and we all can get on with our lives.

Last edited:

iGas

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2009

Canada in desperate need of fast moving offshore patrol ships to keep the Chinese/Russian/American out off Canada coast line and arctic.

iGas

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2009
Perhaps, it is okay with you when the Chinese/Russian/American start to mines the Canadian coast line and arctic after they claimed it.

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
Perhaps, it is okay with you when the Chinese/Russian/American start to mines the Canadian coast line and arctic after they claimed it.

Ahh, Canada is arming up to deter American aggression? Better start working on a massive border fence and placing landmines. I can see it now, great sea battles between American fishing boats and Canada's frigate.

Status
Not open for further replies.