32C64T:AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2990WX(Workstation?)CPU-Z screenshot leaks out

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Markfw

CPU Moderator, VC&G Moderator, Elite Member
Super Moderator
May 16, 2002
PCIE 3.0 x16 Riser cables @ 200mm are about $25. @300mm $50. @600mm $65.
Fair enough.
If you could do a layout with 200mm cables, that'd only be about $200 more added on.

That and the I/O is literally cut in half from what you should be getting making the processor completely unbalanced.
I'd have to pay double what I paid for my 1950x while sitting with the same I/O. This is where I establish a no-go zone. The diminishing returns are too pronounced. It's funny because I got railed for this when I applied it to intel vs amd. However, clearly I am without bias as I can apply it to AMD's own processor line. 1950x/2950x is peak balance on this particular AMD HEDT platform in my opinion.

128GB of RAM limit is a joke at with such a core count when the EPYC processor of this core count supports a Terabyte of RAM with 16 dimm slots. 128 PCIE lanes vs 64 PCIE lanes.

That being said, I guess this is interesting because its a new architecture to consider. You have 2 dies w/ no direct I/O being fed by infinity fabric. You get double the amount of cores but no increase in I/O. I guess this will make sense to someone. I can't help but recognize though that the EPYC is $400 more and the mobo $200 more. If you're going to spend $1800 on a processor anyway... But then again you get higher clocks on RAM/Processor if you go with threadripper vs Eypc. So, if you don't care about I/O scaling much or a terabyte of ram capacity and you care more for ram/cpuclocks then this is your processor...

$1800 is nothing to sneeze at. I await 7nm
By getting the 2990WX, I am taking a chance on the IO, 64 gig is plenty for what I do for memory. I know I can use all the cores, but what I don't know is what will be gimped. Thats why I am getting it, to tell you all what I find, and in my builders thread, I hope people suggest benchmarks that I can actually run to figure all of this out.

ub4ty

Jun 21, 2017
With current prices if you can afford 1TB of dram, CPU price for EPYC is no big deal at all :)
Indeed.. 2x64GB modules runs about $800.
I guess this is the distinguishing characteristic between EPYC vs Threadripper :
Yeah, it has more I/O and DIMM slots but it's really a completely different realm of cost to fully utilize it on EPYC vs threadripper.
So, it seems there's a case for the 32 core threadripper especially as Mark states that he's just fine w/ the I/O it provides and RAM maximum.
Plus, on threadripper you get far faster core clocks and far faster RAM.

Mark, why not wait to see what anandtech provides on a review? I'll be interested in their scientific/engineering software #'s. I'll let you know if I don't see a particular benchmark there and will send you over a link to try get the resulting #'s.

Markfw

Super Moderator
May 16, 2002
Indeed.. 2x64GB modules runs about $800.
I guess this is the distinguishing characteristic between EPYC vs Threadripper :
Yeah, it has more I/O and DIMM slots but it's really a completely different realm of cost to fully utilize it on EPYC vs threadripper.
So, it seems there's a case for the 32 core threadripper especially as Mark states that he's just fine w/ the I/O it provides and RAM maximum.
Plus, on threadripper you get far faster core clocks and far faster RAM.

Mark, why not wait to see what anandtech provides on a review? I'll be interested in their scientific/engineering software #'s. I'll let you know if I don't see a particular benchmark there and will send you over a link to try get the resulting #'s.
My priority is actually all DC, BOINC mostly, since I have 1080TI cards for F@H.. I think I lost my battle with cancer, and will know in 4 weeks. So for me, thats it.

BUT, I want to run benchmarks of different things, and provide feedback for others on how it does with different software. Looks like I will have to be happy with stock until new motherboards and coolers become available.

ub4ty

Jun 21, 2017
My priority is actually all DC, BOINC mostly, since I have 1080TI cards for F@H.. I think I lost my battle with cancer, and will know in 4 weeks. So for me, thats it.

BUT, I want to run benchmarks of different things, and provide feedback for others on how it does with different software. Looks like I will have to be happy with stock until new motherboards and coolers become available.
> Hugs Mark deeply
> Sends his best and most positive wishes for his results in the weeks ahead
> Thinks of the joy unpacking and running that 32 core beast will bring

I will try to form a list of benchmarks for you Mark for this 32 core monster and I thank you sincerely for the information you have provided throughout all the TR threads.. The original 1950x thread was :) and provided me w/ lots of great feels as I engaged in and began running my build. I'd no doubt love a 32 core if I had the $$ for it but that is way out of my ball pack. So, I will have to live vicariously through you. I look forward to and am monitoring the build thread you created. Lots of pics please as always :D. Make sure to do a series involving a sloooowww unboxing :cool:

Markfw

Super Moderator
May 16, 2002
> Hugs Mark deeply
> Sends his best and most positive wishes for his results in the weeks ahead
> Thinks of the joy unpacking and running that 32 core beast will bring

I will try to form a list of benchmarks for you Mark for this 32 core monster and I thank you sincerely for the information you have provided throughout all the TR threads.. The original 1950x thread was :) and provided me w/ lots of great feels as I engaged in and began running my build. I'd no doubt love a 32 core if I had the $$ for it but that is way out of my ball pack. So, I will have to live vicariously through you. I look forward to and am monitoring the build thread you created. Lots of pics please as always :D. Make sure to do a series involving a sloooowww unboxing :cool:
I guess I have to get busy, parts already showing up, but unboxed already

ub4ty

Jun 21, 2017
I guess I have to get busy, parts already showing up, but unboxed already
Please don't do so w/ 2990wx, I need to live through you Mark ...

wahdangun

Feb 3, 2011
PCIE 3.0 x16 Riser cables @ 200mm are about $25. @300mm $50. @600mm $65.
Fair enough.
If you could do a layout with 200mm cables, that'd only be about $200 more added on.

That and the I/O is literally cut in half from what you should be getting making the processor completely unbalanced.
I'd have to pay double what I paid for my 1950x while sitting with the same I/O. This is where I establish a no-go zone. The diminishing returns are too pronounced. It's funny because I got railed for this when I applied it to intel vs amd. However, clearly I am without bias as I can apply it to AMD's own processor line. 1950x/2950x is peak balance on this particular AMD HEDT platform in my opinion.

128GB of RAM limit is a joke at with such a core count when the EPYC processor of this core count supports a Terabyte of RAM with 16 dimm slots. 128 PCIE lanes vs 64 PCIE lanes.

That being said, I guess this is interesting because its a new architecture to consider. You have 2 dies w/ no direct I/O being fed by infinity fabric. You get double the amount of cores but no increase in I/O. I guess this will make sense to someone. I can't help but recognize though that the EPYC is $400 more and the mobo $200 more. If you're going to spend $1800 on a processor anyway... But then again you get higher clocks on RAM/Processor if you go with threadripper vs Eypc. So, if you don't care about I/O scaling much or a terabyte of ram capacity and you care more for ram/cpuclocks then this is your processor...

$1800 is nothing to sneeze at. I await 7nm

Actually, you need buffered ram, to break 128 GB, and currently TR platform not yet support it.