3200x1800 resolution laptops?!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
Huh? Battery seems fine to me. The screen is fantastic and better than the rMBP unless you want to sperg over color accuracy - the bottom line is that there is not one single mobile display in existence that has full adobe RGB 10 bit per channel for color accuracy - if you want that color accuracy, there is no laptop which provides it. Period. So I find this "color accuracy" stuff pretty funny - You need a desktop IPS panel for full 10 bit color and a quadro or firepro card. Furthermore ,the GPU doesn't matter unless you're gaming. HD4400 is perfectly fine for 2d tasks - HD5000 isn't really different in that respect, if that's what you're referring to. I ran HD4000 for ages and there was no perceptible UI lag with even HD4000. So i'm not really sure what you're talking about.

Clearly if you want to game, iGPU is a no go unless you get something silly expensive like the intel Iris Pro. And there's like one laptop in the world using Iris Pro, so.....yeah. You'll need a mobile dGPU if your context is in reference to gaming. You won't be gaming on an iGPU whether it's HD4400 , HD4600, or HD5000.

Last edited:

Infohawk

Lifer
Jan 12, 2002
You won't be gaming on an iGPU whether it's HD4400 , HD4600, or HD5000.

Can't you play some older games or strategy games on integrated graphics? Seems like a lot of the reviews show ultrabooks playing Skyrim, even if it's not at maximum settings.

Towlie

Mar 28, 2012
Huh? Battery seems fine to me. The screen is fantastic and better than the rMBP unless you want to sperg over color accuracy - the bottom line is that there is not one single mobile display in existence that has full adobe RGB 10 bit per channel for color accuracy - if you want that color accuracy, there is no laptop which provides it. Period. So I find this "color accuracy" stuff pretty funny - You need a desktop IPS panel for full 10 bit color and a quadro or firepro card. Furthermore ,the GPU doesn't matter unless you're gaming. HD4400 is perfectly fine for 2d tasks - HD5000 isn't really different in that respect, if that's what you're referring to. I ran HD4000 for ages and there was no perceptible UI lag with even HD4000. So i'm not really sure what you're talking about.

Clearly if you want to game, iGPU is a no go unless you get something silly expensive like the intel Iris Pro. And there's like one laptop in the world using Iris Pro, so.....yeah. You'll need a mobile dGPU if your context is in reference to gaming. You won't be gaming on an iGPU whether it's HD4400 , HD4600, or HD5000.

I mean the muddy yellows, not colour reproduction. The battery life seems to be averaging around 5 hours for many which is ok but nothing great.

And the Asus and new macs have Iris 5100s.

khon

Golden Member
Jun 8, 2010
Can't you play some older games or strategy games on integrated graphics? Seems like a lot of the reviews show ultrabooks playing Skyrim, even if it's not at maximum settings.

Yes, you can play on integrated graphics.

Obviously you won't be playing at 3200x1800, or at the highest settings, but I can easily play games like Starcraft II, Diablo III, WoW, CoD :MW3, DOTA 2 etc. on my i5-4200U.

FwFred

Sep 8, 2011
Huh? Battery seems fine to me. The screen is fantastic and better than the rMBP unless you want to sperg over color accuracy - the bottom line is that there is not one single mobile display in existence that has full adobe RGB 10 bit per channel for color accuracy - if you want that color accuracy, there is no laptop which provides it. Period. So I find this "color accuracy" stuff pretty funny - You need a desktop IPS panel for full 10 bit color and a quadro or firepro card.

As a Yoga 2 Pro owner, I'll disagree with this. From what I can gather, the rMBP has 100% sRGB coverage. The Yoga 2 has about 75% sRGB coverage. The 'mustard/green yellow' issue is easily fixed*, but the yellows will not be as saturated as a rMBP.

Additionally, due to the subpixel layout of RGB (rMBP) vs RGBW (Yoga), the Yoga will not out resolve the rMBP.

Still, a comparably spec's rMBP would cost far more than my Yoga, so I'm not complaining. This screen is still far better than my MBA and the majority of laptops sold today.

*This screen needs calibration, preferably by a decent colorimeter system. Since mine is no good, I simply reduced the Green brightness to match the yellows to my U2713HM.