32" Sony Wega or 32" RCA HD-TV (EDIT: Got the Wega)

gittyup

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2000
Having some problems deciding between 2 TV's. Either way, I need a new TV. Anyway, I was thinking of getting the 32" Wega until my wife said something. "Is the Wega digital compatible?" Her comment was based on all TV's should be digital compatible within the next few years. So, no the Wega is not digital compatible but does boast the completely flat screen. So, that got me thinking about the RCA HD-TV. I am just not sure what HD-TV compatible means. Doesn't sound like true digital, but more like you may need some type of digital convertor to view in digital. Should I get the Wega and enjoy the flatness now and in 3-4 years buy a digital TV when they are more advanced and have come down in price? Just having second thoughts because it is a good deal of money. Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks...

Wega for $899

RCA for $1399 with free RCA Progressive Scan DVD player

SOONER

Apr 8, 2000
You need to take this question to hometheaterforums.com to get some good input.

xraymongral

Banned
Nov 25, 2000
Is RCA anything rate better then junk anymore? I know there inexpesive stuff really is junk. Do they make a high end that has a notion of quality associated with it?

kami

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
RCA's high end stuff is fine... i.e. their ProScan line and Digital TVs.

gittyup

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2000
Part of my problem is that I don't understand what is going to take place in 2005 or whatever year it is when they turn of the analog and just broadcast digital. Will the non-digital Wega still work then?

<edit>
Looks like I found the answer. Which is yes.

This is understandably the most asked question about digital TVs, and we have good news for those of you who aren?t ready to go digital anytime soon?you don?t have to. Every station in the country will be broadcasting traditional TV signals until at least 2006 and possibly well beyond. Even after traditional signals are no longer available, the purchase of a set-top digital TV receiver will have your traditional TV back up and running indefinitely. Plus, the coming of digital broadcasts will not have any effect on your ability to watch your VCR or DVDs.

Gunbuster

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
The RCA's sold at best buy still suck

Dont pay 1300k+ for a bubble screen made by RCA

gittyup

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2000
I picked up the Sony 32&quot; Wega yesterday and the Sony S560D DVD player. The picture is so super clear. What a great TV. :D

Argo

Lifer
Apr 8, 2000
gittyup: that isn't the best model of 32&quot; wega. You should probably go for FV model - it has better quality sound, Picture-in-Picture and other goodies.

Edit: Oh well, it's too late. Enjoy your purchase.