$31,000 on a new dining room set for Secretary Ben Carson's office

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Feb 4, 2009
The lying is so weird as I said in the link below a Secretary of whatever deserves and should have nice furniture. Furniture needs to be replaced especially if it’s a safety hazzard. 31k for a dining set is more than I’d spend however giving the position I don’t think it’s a crazy budget. Why were they dishonest, I can’t figure out why Trumpsters lie when the truth is easier. They should have been honest and said the current set is old, may not be repairable and this replacement was in the budget.

Oh Ben, not the table

Sunburn74

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2009
The lying is so weird as I said in the link below a Secretary of whatever deserves and should have nice furniture. Furniture needs to be replaced especially if it’s a safety hazzard. 31k for a dining set is more than I’d spend however giving the position I don’t think it’s a crazy budget. Why were they dishonest, I can’t figure out why Trumpsters lie when the truth is easier. They should have been honest and said the current set is old, may not be repairable and this replacement was in the budget.

Oh Ben, not the table
Two things: why does a work office need a dining table? Who has dining tables at their work office? I've been to a lot of executives offices. I don't think I've ever seen a dining table. At best, I've seen like a little round sitting table for personal discussion or something like that. but its not like they are hosting potluck dinners in their offices.

Also why would he order a 31K dining table for an office he will only use for a little bit, mostly likely just 2 more years.

Reactions: Ns1
Feb 4, 2009
Two things: why does a work office need a dining table? Who has dining tables at their work office? I've been to a lot of executives offices. I don't think I've ever seen a dining table. At best, I've seen like a little round sitting table for personal discussion or something like that. but its not like they are hosting potluck dinners in their offices.

Also why would he order a 31K dining table for an office he will only use for a little bit, mostly likely just 2 more years.

I’m making some assumptions, it sounds like a semi residence/guest area. I’m also assuming it’s more than one table

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Ben is clearly not thinking about the long term (assuming he wants to stay married). Dissing your wife to stay in the good graces of the pimp you hooked up with is not a wise move.

Feb 4, 2009
Ben is clearly not thinking about the long term (assuming he wants to stay married). Dissing your wife to stay in the good graces of the pimp you hooked up with is not a wise move.

Ben must have a strong Pimp Hand

/sarcasm I don’t think Ben beats his wife

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
Just because the Republicans throw a hissy fit every time a Democrat spends money on "wasteful spending" does not mean that the Democrats have to respond in kind.

For example:
President Obama has spent far more lavishly on White House state dinners than previous chief executives, including nearly $1 million on a 2010 dinner for Mexico's president, according to documents obtained by The Washington Examiner.

People who engage in this kind of nitpicking make themselves and their party look kind of small and partisan. These things are completely irrelevant to the lives of ordinary Americans.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Just because the Republicans throw a hissy fit every time a Democrat spends money on "wasteful spending" does not mean that the Democrats have to respond in kind.

For example:

People who engage in this kind of nitpicking make themselves and their party look kind of small and partisan. These things are completely irrelevant to the lives of ordinary Americans.
Hmmm. Diplomacy spending vs a dining set for your office. Or how about sound proofing the office of the EPA Director.

Perspective dude.

Reactions: ivwshane

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
Ben is an imbecile, but most of the secretary offices in these old gov buildings are emaculate works of art. For high end furniture table chairs and cabinet that price doesn't seem to be that extorbanint. Hell most of the time they have it remodeled if its a newer building costing a lot more. All waste I know but the amount of concern is a little overblown.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
I still think $30K is too much money to spend. However, this is what they wanted to buy Dining Table, 10 chairs, Sideboard cabinet, China Cabinet and maybe a Rug or just match it to the existing rug.
for about 2,000 you can buy a decent table. I cant see a reasonable high quality set like this going for over $10,000.

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
https://www.cnsnews.com/news/articl...ed-cost-mccabes-office-conference-table-70000

The FBI apparently tried to hide the cost of former Deputy Director Andrew McCabe's office conference table -- $70,000 -- in the redacted text messages exchanged between demoted agents Peter Strzok and Lisa Page, a curious fact uncovered by Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Chuck Grassley (R-Iowa), who has been trying since last year to compel the FBI to release all of the Strzok-Page texts to Congress.

Guess the OP and others are perfectly fine when this happens. Selective outrage at its finest. More than double the price, and the FBI tried to hide it. No reason to be retracted. Yet no outrage, hmm.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
https://www.cnsnews.com/news/articl...ed-cost-mccabes-office-conference-table-70000

Guess the OP and others are perfectly fine when this happens. Selective outrage at its finest. More than double the price, and the FBI tried to hide it. No reason to be retracted. Yet no outrage, hmm.

Blanket assumption - check

Whataboutism - check

Conservatives reducing government bloat - che....no wait, nevermind

Conservatives continue assaulting FBI credibility - check

BTW, 70k for a table is ridiculous.