ASUS Maximus XI Formula Motherboard
3080ti
980 Pro SSDx2
32 GB Corsair Dominator 3600 RAM
EK Waterblock for CPU and GPU
Corsair RM850x PSU
Thermaltake View 91 RGB Case
BenQ ex3203r 144hz 1440p monitor

Now the GPU, SSDs, and RAM are all new. As is the EK Waterblock for my GPU and the case. The CPU, Motherboard, and PSU are the same since I bought them back in 2019. I wanted to get a few more years out of my CPU because it is really performing well in all areas still. But my games had all taken some serious hits when gaming, so I bought a MSI Suprim X 3080ti and a couple new 980 1TB Pros to reinstall windows on and for gaming. I also have several other SSDs for older games that I had before.

After buying the new GPU and SSDs, I reinstalled windows on the computer and started playing games. They are all getting like 20-30 FPS. Now I am playing some graphic intensive games like Cyberpunk, Forza Horizon 5, Halo Infinite, the recent Assassin's Creed Games, RDR2, Deathloop, Elden Ring, God of War and so on. But a 3080ti should be getting really high FPS in all of these games, especially for the price I paid for it. And I'm not playing in 4k, just 2k. I sent the GPU back to get tested thinking it was a bad egg, but it came back as showing everything was okay. I have run the User Benchmark software and it says everything is running fine, but that my new GPU and new SSDs are severely underperforming. I don't really have the money now to buy a new CPU, Motherboard, new DDR5 RAM, and a new waterblock. I'm assuming something is wrong with either my motherboard or my cpu. If I have to buy a new CPU, then I have to buy all new parts. If it's just the motherboard, I can just find a second hand z390 to last for a couple of years.

The problem is trying to figure out which one is the problem, the cpu or the motherboard. Any suggestions on what to do would be greatly appreciated. I assume it's a motherboard problem since the 3080ti, and the two 980 Pros are all underperforming. But I may be wrong.

One more thing of note, every Nividia driver that I have tried to update to has crashed the games or either lost signal to the monitor after a few minutes and I would have to restart the computer every time. The last Nvidia driver that has worked successfully for me is the 497.29 driver, which I currently have installed, Every driver since the release of the 500+ drivers that have come out, never work. Before this, I NEVER had a problem with my Nvidia drivers not updating successfully.

Attachments

• Screenshot (23).png
    Screenshot (23).png
    537.8 KB · Views: 16
  • Screenshot (24).png
    Screenshot (24).png
    446.3 KB · Views: 15
  • Screenshot (25).png
    Screenshot (25).png
    564.1 KB · Views: 14
  • Screenshot (26).png
    Screenshot (26).png
    687.9 KB · Views: 14
  • Screenshot (27).png
    Screenshot (27).png
    660.4 KB · Views: 13
  • Screenshot (28).png
    Screenshot (28).png
    523 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
You've been experiencing this issues for roughly 9 months now based on your thread last August.

I'd say just take it to the guy who built it for you, and have him diagnose what the problem is.

You say your temps are fine (yet don't say what they are), and you don't mention your PC crashing or turning off, so I'd guess your PSU is OK. You can run a memory test to make sure your RAM isn't defective (or running at lower speeds).

That leaves the CPU and motherboard to rule out. And the easiest way to do that is to swap them out with known working ones. This is where your the guy who builds your computers would likely have spare components where they could figure out what the problem is.

BTW, anything to do with Userbenchmark sucks. "UFO", "Battleship"......screw that site and their petty childish owners.

Use individual programs like CrystalDIskMark to check out your SSD speeds, Intel's Processor Diagnostic Tool, HWMonitor, Passmark, etc.

Reactions: Shmee

Zoozuu

Oct 21, 2020
expensive motherboard. :) have you tried updating the 980 pro's FIRMWARE?

EDIT: go to samsung website for the product and download Samsung magician and update. (*I heard it has some fixes)

EDIT EDIT: are those in raid? (*still reading lazy)

EDIT EDIT EDIT: what about drivers? you have chipset an everything installed right? the os updated to current? (*what version OS and what version GPU drivers?)

notheredit: make sure to do a performance test with samsung magician and CrystalDiskMark like Usandthem said. :)

Last edited:

bubbabigsexy

Jul 6, 2008
expensive motherboard. :) have you tried updating the 980 pro's FIRMWARE?

EDIT: go to samsung website for the product and download Samsung magician and update. (*I heard it has some fixes)

EDIT EDIT: are those in raid? (*still reading lazy)

EDIT EDIT EDIT: what about drivers? you have chipset an everything installed right? the os updated to current? (*what version OS and what version GPU drivers?)

notheredit: make sure to do a performance test with samsung magician and CrystalDiskMark like Usandthem said. :)
I have updated the firmware on the 980s and the motherboard. I actually had this problem with low FPS before the 980s. That is why I'm assuming it's either a motherboard or cpu problem. I already have the Samsung Magician and all of my SSDs have good numbers. All 100% or 99%.I'm not using raid. I am using Windows 11 and it is up to date. However, I will say that the newest Nvidia drivers have caused my games to crash or for the monitor to lose signal ever since they came out with the 500 drivers. The last driver that worked for me was the 497.29 drivers. Every other driver since that one has always made my games crash after playing for like 5 minutes. Some even less.

Jul 27, 2020
However, I will say that the newest Nvidia drivers have caused my games to crash or for the monitor to lose signal ever since they came out with the 500 drivers.
Have you done a fresh Win11 install? If the 500 drivers still crash on that, you have some serious hardware issue. Those drivers would be causing issues for everyone, not just you if they were the culprit.

What are the CPU idle/load temps?
Run Memtest for a few hours.
Make sure everything is at stock settings. Don't let the mobo UEFI overclock anything. Especially disable MCE (multi core enhancement).
Check to ensure that the PSU is feeding voltages within spec. Something like 12V having actual reading of 12.20V may cause issues.

Reactions: Shmee

bubbabigsexy

Jul 6, 2008
Expensive everything. No wonder there's no budget left to move to an Intel 12th gen build. :p

Buying a RTX 3080ti back in August 2021.....that had to really empty the wallet. :eek:
Yep. I spent $3000 on it. And now, it doesn't even work properly. I mean 20 FPS in Elden Ring is a complete joke.

Last edited:

Zoozuu

Oct 21, 2020
yeah like Igor said fresh install of windows let it update then install whatever drivers are left over. then update the driver that windows will most likely will auto install. if you have problems after that the only things to do would be swap out hardware like Usandthem said.

EDIT: have you done any motherboard firmware updates?

bubbabigsexy

Jul 6, 2008
Have you done a fresh Win11 install? If the 500 drivers still crash on that, you have some serious hardware issue. Those drivers would be causing issues for everyone, not just you if they were the culprit.

What are the CPU idle/load temps?
Run Memtest for a few hours.
Make sure everything is at stock settings. Don't let the mobo UEFI overclock anything. Especially disable MCE (multi core enhancement).
Check to ensure that the PSU is feeding voltages within spec. Something like 12V having actual reading of 12.20V may cause issues.
I have gone into the Nvidia forums and quite a few people have been having the same problems I have been having ever since the 500 drivers began. Lots of people have complained about the loss of signal to the monitor and their games crashing after playing for a few minutes. I have tried to install the new 500 driver every time it has been updated, but I get the same problem every time: Either a crash back to the desktop or the loss of signal which causes me to have to do a hard reset on the power button. But I don't know why the last 497 driver works well and I never have crashes or black screens.

bubbabigsexy

Jul 6, 2008
You've been experiencing this issues for roughly 9 months now based on your thread last August.

I'd say just take it to the guy who built it for you, and have him diagnose what the problem is.

You say your temps are fine (yet don't say what they are), and you don't mention your PC crashing or turning off, so I'd guess your PSU is OK. You can run a memory test to make sure your RAM isn't defective (or running at lower speeds).

That leaves the CPU and motherboard to rule out. And the easiest way to do that is to swap them out with known working ones. This is where your the guy who builds your computers would likely have spare components where they could figure out what the problem is.

BTW, anything to do with Userbenchmark sucks. "UFO", "Battleship"......screw that site and their petty childish owners.

Use individual programs like CrystalDIskMark to check out your SSD speeds, Intel's Processor Diagnostic Tool, HWMonitor, Passmark, etc.
I just ran the Intel Diagnostic tool and everything came up green and it says I passed. I didn't know that Userbenchmark was bad. I saw different people in different forums recommend running that since it tests all the hardware in your computer.

Attachments

• Screenshot (43).png
    Screenshot (43).png
    2.1 MB · Views: 8
Jul 27, 2020
I have gone into the Nvidia forums and quite a few people have been having the same problems I have been having ever since the 500 drivers began.
Hmm...some people are indeed having issues with the 500 series drivers. DDU to clean up the existing driver and then install the latest Studio driver and report back on how it fares for you.

bubbabigsexy

Jul 6, 2008
Hmm...some people are indeed having issues with the 500 series drivers. DDU to clean up the existing driver and then install the latest Studio driver and report back on how it fares for you.
Yeah. I tried that a couple of different times. It didn't work. Still had the same crashing to desktop and loss or signal as before. In fact, I can't play any game more than 10 minutes without losing signal to the monitor. However, games like Forza Horizon 5 just crash to the desktop.

Zoozuu

Oct 21, 2020
does anything else cause a crash? can you try playing extremely high definition video? what about video encoding? I would say if you can do those things it would have to be your awesome motherboard. :) (*since you said you checked the gpu)

bubbabigsexy

Jul 6, 2008
does anything else cause a crash? can you try playing extremely high definition video? what about video encoding? I would say if you can do those things it would have to be your awesome motherboard. :) (*since you said you checked the gpu)
Yeah. Nothing else causes any crashes or bsods or loss of signal. I play High Defintion Videos all the time. The only thing that is causing crashes is the 500 series Nvidia drivers. But even on the 497.29 driver, I'm still only getting 20-30 FPS on pretty much all my newer games that have come out in the past couple of years. I should be crushing these games at 1440p. It's really frustrating because everything else on the computer works great. The Waterblocks keep the cpu running between 40-45 C and keeps the temperature of games around 70-80 C. I have both my CPU and GPU overclocked. I've tried turning both of them down or off, but it doesn't matter.

bubbabigsexy

Jul 6, 2008
yeah like Igor said fresh install of windows let it update then install whatever drivers are left over. then update the driver that windows will most likely will auto install. if you have problems after that the only things to do would be swap out hardware like Usandthem said.

EDIT: have you done any motherboard firmware updates?
When I got my GPU back after sending it in to get checked because I thought it was a dud, I updated the motherboard to the most recent firmware and installed windows on my 980 Pro.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Dunno if you know how or if you need a buddy to show you how but check a couple things with the RAM:

Do you have one or two sticks of RAM? If one, disregard everything I'm about it say, as that is probably your problem.

If two sticks of RAM, are they seated in the appropriate "channels" for dual channel to be active? You'll have to check your mobo manual, but most mobo's follow an ABAB channel format, where both your sticks need to be in either the alternating A slots or alternating B slots to have maximum bandwidth.

If your ram is properly seated for dual channel, do you have XMP enabled to ensure the ram is running at full speed?

Reactions: ZGR

bubbabigsexy

Jul 6, 2008
Dunno if you know how or if you need a buddy to show you how but check a couple things with the RAM:

Do you have one or two sticks of RAM? If one, disregard everything I'm about it say, as that is probably your problem.

If two sticks of RAM, are they seated in the appropriate "channels" for dual channel to be active? You'll have to check your mobo manual, but most mobo's follow an ABAB channel format, where both your sticks need to be in either the alternating A slots or alternating B slots to have maximum bandwidth.

If your ram is properly seated for dual channel, do you have XMP enabled to ensure the ram is running at full speed?
I have 4 sticks of RAM. They are all seated properly and I have XMP enabled. The RAM is definitely running at the right speed.

ZGR

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2012
I'd install MSI Afterburner + Rivatuner and use the in game overlay or expanded MSI Afterburner graph to monitor GPU + CPU usage/clocks/temps while in game. Great way to quickly diagnose the bottleneck.

If you don't want to install that, Nvidia's in-game performance overlay can be enabled with alt-z -> Performance if you have Geforce Experience enabled; but it lacks a lot of nice info. At 1440p144, you should be able to easily maintain your refresh rate with your specs no problem if everything is working correctly.

What my in-game overlay looks like (I removed CPU clock): overlay.jpg

Last edited:

zebrax2

Nov 18, 2007
Download HWiNFO then do a 5min run while playing a game with logging similar to this. Upload the csv file created by HWiNFO here so we can see whats happening.

alexbirdie0

Feb 19, 2020
Sure, that your monitor is connected to the 3080ti and not to the motherboard (and therefore using the GPU-part of the 9900K)?

I apologize for the perhaps silly questions, but from time to time this mistake occurs.