Question 3080 Shortage & Big Navi? Blessing?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ejohanss69

Nov 12, 2009
It's pretty easy to be frustrated with the inability to buy a 3080. Like many in this forum, I too was vigorously refreshing vendor pages the fateful day of launch, and got so far as checkout before I was given the "I'm sorry, the item you are buying is no longer available". Now, I'm enduring the frustrating 'in-stock' messages I'm getting from Amazon and others, only to be brought to a vendor that is asking $1,500+ for a 3080.

I'm also watching Nvidia's reaction, as well as their promise (and other vendors) of "thousands" of 3080's being made available this week and next. This is not giving me any hope of everything lining up for me to actually get one before the end of October.

However, it's got me thinking, what if all of this ends up being a blessing, not a curse? What if the higher end version of Big Navi actually rivals 3080 performance, but at $150-$200 less?

What do we really know about Big Navi - is this a possibility for the 'best' part in their product stack?

If I'm AMD, and if I know after testing a 3080 that my 'best' Big Navi part rivals / beats 3080, I start leaking benchmarks immediately.

Your thoughts?

Reactions: the901

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Oh god another “bad caps” scandal that will go on for a decade.

This is what i guess you are referring to:

sigh...
Seems like ASUS is the only company which went all out and used MLCC's.
GeForce_RTX_3080_Caps_Arrangement.jpg

This is really sad, seeing how EVGA FTW3 is supposed to be the highest tier you can get.
Well on a good note tho, if you got EVGA, there RMA is seamless and painless not to mention 1000x better then ASUS.

alexruiz

Platinum Member
Sep 21, 2001

sigh...

This is really sad, seeing how EVGA FTW3 is supposed to be the highest tier you can get.
Well on a good note tho, if you got EVGA, there RMA is seamless and painless not to mention 1000x better then ASUS.

I have to disagree.

My eVGAs RMAs have been painful.
While gigabyte will grant the RMA on the spot, eVGA wants to stall and try a lot of "tricks" blaming your PSU, even after you have stated that the PSU is a Corsair HX750i and you are using independent cables.
I personally avoid eVGA unless thye are considerably cheaper than the competition.

Also, I think the Gigabyte Aorus is better than the eVGA FTW.

Elfear

Diamond Member
May 30, 2004

sigh...

Some reviewers were reporting the Asus TUF cards having the same problem as the other models. I thought the culprit was finally traced to drivers rather than CAPs.

ksosx86

Sep 27, 2012

sigh...

This surprises me; I wonder if the economy played a role.

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
Some reviewers were reporting the Asus TUF cards having the same problem as the other models. I thought the culprit was finally traced to drivers rather than CAPs.
The issue is a combination of things, but for the most part the clock speed was too high, making the cards unstable. Having multiple small capacity caps as filters allows for faster switching, which would allow for more stability at higher clocks. That said, the drivers reduced clock speeds to increase stability. They probably also corrected other issues that may have contributed to the instability.

Like in all problems where hardware and software work together, it is a combination that keeps things working. If you can fix an issue through software, you will always do that, since it is far cheaper and logistically easier than to have to retool production. That is the biggest reason software always falls behind hardware during design, since software has to make up for minor errors in the hardware design.

Reactions: Elfear

DooKey

Golden Member
Nov 9, 2005
LOL, as if people could buy 3080's even if they wanted to. AMD had zero reason to show their top end card in a teaser. They would gain nothing by it.

Just takes a little (a lot) effort. I have purchased two EVGA 3080s. One from Amazon and one from EVGA.

No bots or scripts used.

peonyu

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2003
At this rate with their paper launch i think i'm just going to go with AMD this time around, even if the cards are a tad slower. A paper launch like this where only a few hundred cards have been put out close to a month later is pretty much lying to the public about the release date and i don't feel like rewarding a company for that.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
Was going to Trader Joe's today and there's a Microcenter next door so decided to go there first. Walk in and once the doors open there's a sign that says 3080s are sold out. I point at it and say that's what I was looking for and someone says hold on. She pulls out an EVGA 3080 XC3 Ultra and says we have one left. She said they randomly will get a couple here and there. As she's walking with me to the cash register, another guy walks me and asks if there are any 3080s.

I was planning on just waiting to get a 3080 FTW3 Ultra thru EVGA or wait for a 3080 20gb. I could flip it or sell it to a friend. Not sure what to do.

lobz

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2017
I'm looking at the 3080 myself right now and it is sort of a blessing about the shortage. AMD has new cards coming out only a month from now and if the performance is roughly the same but cheaper, why not go with that instead [not counting fanboys, myself i have a good opinion of both companies so i will use whatever is best for the gen]. The 3080s range from $599 to $699 and perhaps the price will drop some a month too.

I have a GTX 970 which is still doing well for me though so of course it's different for everyone. I imagine folks who have older cards than that will be chomping at the bit to get a 3080 asap.
What? Where do the 3080s range 599-699? Arw you living in Wonderland? The MSRP is 699 to begin with.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Was going to Trader Joe's today and there's a Microcenter next door so decided to go there first. Walk in and once the doors open there's a sign that says 3080s are sold out. I point at it and say that's what I was looking for and someone says hold on. She pulls out an EVGA 3080 XC3 Ultra and says we have one left. She said they randomly will get a couple here and there. As she's walking with me to the cash register, another guy walks me and asks if there are any 3080s.

I was planning on just waiting to get a 3080 FTW3 Ultra thru EVGA or wait for a 3080 20gb. I could flip it or sell it to a friend. Not sure what to do.

you should have sold that dude behind you your "spot" in the checkout line for $50. :D

Think how happy your wife would be: "Hey honey, I just got $50 off at Trader Joes!"

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
you should have sold that dude behind you your "spot" in the checkout line for $50. :D

Think how happy your wife would be: "Hey honey, I just got $50 off at Trader Joes!"
i dont think most people would want 50$ if they are buying a 3080, either save it for your self and the hassle of buying another one, or sell it on ebay/craigslist since they seem to be going for 950+$ :)

everyone has been waiting so long for these cards, its not shocking they are sold out, it would be nice to know how many they have out there, 10,000? 100,000? also wonder how many people are waiting to buy them when they come in stock, 300,000? ;P no idea

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
i dont think most people would want 50$ if they are buying a 3080, either save it for your self and the hassle of buying another one, or sell it on ebay/craigslist since they seem to be going for 950+$ :)

everyone has been waiting so long for these cards, its not shocking they are sold out, it would be nice to know how many they have out there, 10,000? 100,000? also wonder how many people are waiting to buy them when they come in stock, 300,000? ;P no idea

Put it on Craigslist and already received an offer for $1050. I was one of the first people to sign up for auto-notification for the EVGA 1080 FTW3 Ultra, so I will be getting it in the future. I do like the lower thermals on the FTW3.

• Haha
Reactions: killster1

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005

Put it on Craigslist last night and already received an offer of $1050. Probably going to flip it. Yeah, I've seen some listing going for over $1,300 on ebay but don't want to deal with that hassle.

• Haha
Reactions: killster1

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
Yes, I do.

Edit: But I don't often venture that far into the City to go to MC. I'm much more comfortable buying (in bulk, at times), from Newegg, and having it shipped to my doorstep.

Cool. For some reason, I always thought you live in CA. MC is only a couple of blocks away from my house, so when I go to TJs I usually walk into MC to check things out.

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
Getting back to "shortage" I was scouring facebook marketplace for used 5700XTs and noticed 3080/3090 listings. Apparently my area has a whole bunch of scalpers reselling 3080/3090. One guy in particular is selling 3080 for low low "price to sell" at $1500 and 3090 at $2200, the markup apparently is for his "time waiting in line". The lowest 3080 price I see is $1300, the highest is $2,200 for FE edition. Pathetic.

peonyu

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2003
What? Where do the 3080s range 599-699? Arw you living in Wonderland? The MSRP is 699 to begin with.

Well duh - you replied to a post that was 2 weeks old and i was obviously off a $100. Do you regularly reply to old comments to point out errors to make yourself feel knowledgeable.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Well duh - you replied to a post that was 2 weeks old and i was obviously off a $100. Do you regularly reply to old comments to point out errors to make yourself feel knowledgeable.
Don't be a jerk. He was correcting your MSRP. Higher could be scalpers, but I have never even seen it listed for less than $700 for a 3080.

Reactions: Stuka87

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Getting back to "shortage" I was scouring facebook marketplace for used 5700XTs and noticed 3080/3090 listings. Apparently my area has a whole bunch of scalpers reselling 3080/3090. One guy in particular is selling 3080 for low low "price to sell" at $1500 and 3090 at $2200, the markup apparently is for his "time waiting in line". The lowest 3080 price I see is $1300, the highest is $2,200 for FE edition. Pathetic.
Well, some people make a living at that sort of thing. Despicable? Well... maybe. If they're up-front with what you're getting, what does it matter if it's Newegg, or Joe-down-the-street doing the markup? As long as you get your card in the end, and you weren't coerced. Well, that's just capitalism for you. (And honestly, "anti-scalping laws" probably don't apply to non-essential luxury goods. Why would they? "Art dealers" might fall afoul of those laws otherwise.)

It may suck, for some would-be buyers, and perhaps more anti-botting technologies should be implemented (EVGA is off to a good start on their web store), but I'm not fundamentally-opposed to the concept. Not if you accept that we live in a capitalistic world, and not everyone is "entitled" to every luxury good that we want.

peonyu

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2003
Don't be a jerk. He was correcting your MSRP. Higher could be scalpers, but I have never even seen it listed for less than $700 for a 3080.

I was being cordial actually. It was a 2 week old post of mine and obviously it was a error, being a jerk is calling out a 2 week old post and adding snark like "wonderland" in it.

Yes, the MSRP is $699.99. I have not seen it less than that either due to low availability and people selling it for much higher on ebay. Hopefully this changes when AMD launches Big Navi and hopefully they do not also pull a paper launch like what Nvidia did.

chrisjames61

Dec 31, 2013
In Windows, sure I will agree with you that both Nvidia and AMD have similar amounts of issues with their drivers. However, in linux, Nvidia blows away AMD, it is not even close. The level of headache and problems that you will face right and left with an AMD card is absolutely amazing. Yet with Nvidia, as long as you have your kernel headers/development libraries and software, Nvidia’s drivers just work.

Compare that to scouring for an AMD driver for your specific card that works on your specific kernel version, or trying to fake it so that the installer runs when you have a vanilla kernel installed. Heaven help you if you need to stay on an older kernel with a newer card, or an older card on a newer kernel.
"In Linux Nvidia blows AMD away"? Since when? AMD has support baked into the kernel while Nvidia has crappy proprietary drivers.