3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB / r7 2700X / In game utilization is about %50 each

May 3, 2019
I upgraded from a Vega64 to this 3080. I've never run into this usage issue before. I think this card and this CPU go well together, but I don't feel I'm seeing the gains I should and especially in stability.

Some games saw a huge improvement. I think Teardown gained 100+fps and is butter. In Subnautica (a terribly optimized game, but still a benchmark) I was getting about 70fps and it's up to 110 now, but it's not at all stable and the overall effect feels choppy . Rocket League (not a taxing game) I get ~500fps, but it's low end is 60. The dips weren't too noticeable, but my hobbled Vega 64 managed to maintain lower (target 165fps) but more stable frames. Minecraft was hard to find a baseline since I use custom shaders, but I saw no gains at all with shaders and saw 120fps without. I expected more, but MC is it's own monster.

During any of these games (and all the others I didn't list) the usage for the CPU and GPU was about 50% usage each give or take 10%.

This card takes 3 8-pin power cables. On my PSU, 1 cable is a Y with a single connection, the other is a single connection. I don't have 2 more single cables to test if the Y is to blame. I don't know why it would be, the Y worked fine with the Vega.

I'm new to the nvidia control panel, but I changed globally to "prefer maximum performance" in 3D settings which seemed to be the response most people got asking this question on other threads, and most reported it worked. Sadly, it didn't do anything for me.

tl;dr
3080 matched with 2700 is only utilizing ~50-60% each.

Golgatha

Lifer
Jul 18, 2003
Might try running something like 3DMark to get both the CPU and GPU at 100% utilization, just to make sure everything is stable. Might also check Vsync settings to make sure you aren't frame limiting yourself.

Reactions: An Arable Hill

Majcric

Golden Member
May 3, 2011
Cpu's can cause bottlenecks even when they're not maxing out to 90-100% I'm guessing the GPU is having a choke effect on certain games hence the choppiness.

May 3, 2019
I used a bottleneck calculator before I bought it and it said that in general (every app and game are different) that they were very well suited. A tad over 1% difference. I took that with a grain of salt, but seemed like the best way I could judge something like that.

I know that you can be CPU bottlenecked if the app maxes out some cores, but will only report 50% overall usage. I checked the cores themselves in some instances and they weren't maxed.

I did the 3Dmark tests. Frankly, I'm not sure what the results mean.

Majcric

Golden Member
May 3, 2011
Sorry for the late reply, but I don’t frequent the forums as much as I once did. Steve from hardware unboxed does some great testing, IMO. Take notice at the massive bottleneck with certain games. With a newer processor your RTX 3080 has a lot more to offer as seen in the video below.

May 3, 2019
Thanks for the input. I'm still trying to understand. CPU/GPU usage is 50/50 utilization. The bottleneck calculator accurately predicted the equal performance (1-2% difference). Why we aren't seeing either at even close to maxed out is still very confusing.

Even if the IPC were choking it, isn't it hard to believe that picking up an additional 40% utilization with a 5800X would only gain 10-13% performance (per that video). Again, I'm out of my my depth. But I'd hate to purchase a $315 chip at $31 per frame.

This is my first nvidia card in many years. Is there a setting I'm unaware of with regards to Ryzen?

Majcric

Golden Member
May 3, 2011
There are no settings that I'm aware of. But I'm not very familiar with Ryzen CPU's. The graph is only showing FPS, but your frame times are most likely suffering causing the choppiness/ laggy feeling.

Jul 27, 2020
It's not the card. It's Nvidia's drivers. They need a faster CPU. Maybe you could swap out the 2700X for the 5800X3D?

Some really huge improvements in some games, particularly Crysis 3 Remastered, Far Cry 6 and Watch Dogs Legions.

Last edited:

Golgatha

Lifer
Jul 18, 2003
I researched all the advice given and picked up a 5800X. Beta bios supported it despite being a x470. I'm very pleased with the performance improvements over the 2700X. The framerates are much higher in some games and very stable. Thanks so much!

Nice, that's 2 generations newer and probably 40% IPC increase or so, not to mention slightly higher clock speeds.

alcoholbob

Diamond Member
May 24, 2005
Thanks for the input. I'm still trying to understand. CPU/GPU usage is 50/50 utilization. The bottleneck calculator accurately predicted the equal performance (1-2% difference). Why we aren't seeing either at even close to maxed out is still very confusing.

Even if the IPC were choking it, isn't it hard to believe that picking up an additional 40% utilization with a 5800X would only gain 10-13% performance (per that video). Again, I'm out of my my depth. But I'd hate to purchase a $315 chip at $31 per frame.

This is my first nvidia card in many years. Is there a setting I'm unaware of with regards to Ryzen?

You won't see that with most indie games because they aren't saturating all 8 cores / 16 threads. Instead it's mostly probably 2-4 cores being maxed out, and the IPC is holding you back.

Reactions: VirtualLarry

Unreal123

Jul 27, 2016
First of all, which resolution you are playing game.

I have RTX 3080 as well.

I had 9600K OC to 4.8ghz and i played games at 1440p ultra settings (No RT as i hate it due to not much graphic difference ,however, performance tanks massively.)

Only issue i had with Cyber Punk. Mostly at 1440p GPU utilization dropped at 70% from 99%.

Advice.

Use higher Resolution, as Nvidia has that option DRS and a new DRS for RTX card only, which also increase image quality.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
I believe OP upgraded to a 5800X, which was definitely a good call. He said he was pleased with the performance boost.

Reactions: Golgatha

DasFox

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2003
The Ryzen 2700x isn't enough to fully utilize the RTX 3080. The core count is good but your ipc is lacking.

I second this, at the least you should be running a 5600X, it’s what I run with my 3080.

P.S. my bad, OP upgraded...