306.97 Articfacting & Crashing While Idle

miketen587

Oct 2, 2012
Card is a GTX 560 TI and this has been happening for a week or so.

Its never crashes while gaming, only when under little to no load. Surfing the web, listening to music, ect...

All of a sudden small artifacts will appear, and the driver crashes.

My card is overclocked to 950 Core Clock and 2100 Memory @ 1075 volts. The overclock is stable while stress testing in Heaven and EVGA OC Scanner, and has never crashed on me while gaming.

The only thing I can think of is that the card is cutting back its voltage too low while idle (950 v)? But I'm not sure why all of a sudden this would be an issue, it has been doing that since I got the card and like I said, this just started recently.

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
I get the same on my GTX 670, maybe I'll try some other drivers. I can game but windows is fvcking up.... maybe it is the drivers.

Majcric

Golden Member
May 3, 2011
Card is a GTX 560 TI and this has been happening for a week or so.

Its never crashes while gaming, only when under little to no load. Surfing the web, listening to music, ect...

All of a sudden small artifacts will appear, and the driver crashes.

My card is overclocked to 950 Core Clock and 2100 Memory @ 1075 volts. The overclock is stable while stress testing in Heaven and EVGA OC Scanner, and has never crashed on me while gaming.

The only thing I can think of is that the card is cutting back its voltage too low while idle (950 v)? But I'm not sure why all of a sudden this would be an issue, it has been doing that since I got the card and like I said, this just started recently.

Your problem sounds similiar to the one I had. (an old post from another forum)

Evga SC GTX 560 ti crashes in 2D or while browsing
I have been reading various forums on the net about this issue but I'm still unsure whether or not this applys to me. Ok here is what happens with my card i get random crashes that states windows kernel has recovered such and such driver. ( currently running 285.27 beta.)I have tried every driver that supports the GTX 560 ti. Strangely enough, this has never happened while gaming or under any stress test. However, I have had this to happen watching a youtube video, checking email, and just surfing the net. Another odd thing is if i do a fresh install of my drivers it takes close to a week for this issue to happen again, so it seems random and repeatable.

Here is what I've done so far:
Rma'd 1 Gtx 560ti already
Resetted card more than once
Ran memtest (everything came out good; no errors
Tried my old 9800 gtx+ (everything is stable no matter what driver is applied.)
Uninstalled and reinstalled drivers numerous amounts of time, using safe mode and driver sweeper.
Tried overwriting old drivers the way Nvidia site suggest

My system Specs:
Windows 7 Ulimate 64 bit
Gigabyte P67x-UD3-B3
I5 2500k stock
Corsair vegeance 4g ram
Corsair 650w Psu
Western Digital sata 320gb

Avira as my anti-virus protector.

Anybody have any ideas? or are we just waiting on better drivers from Nvidia that SUPPORTS the newer hardware..?

The outcome was I never got my problem resolved even after the two RMA's and a many of months on the nvidia forums troubleshooting.

It is a personal belief of mine that when drivers are causing conflicts, there is much more going on then just software, ie, hardware.

Last edited:

Deders

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2012
This isn't happening to mine, but if the drivers are the only thing that has changed then it points to them. Have you tried the new beta's released today?

miketen587

Oct 2, 2012
Your problem sounds similiar to the one I had. (an old post from another forum)

Evga SC GTX 560 ti crashes in 2D or while browsing
I have been reading various forums on the net about this issue but I'm still unsure whether or not this applys to me. Ok here is what happens with my card i get random crashes that states windows kernel has recovered such and such driver. ( currently running 285.27 beta.)I have tried every driver that supports the GTX 560 ti. Strangely enough, this has never happened while gaming or under any stress test. However, I have had this to happen watching a youtube video, checking email, and just surfing the net. Another odd thing is if i do a fresh install of my drivers it takes close to a week for this issue to happen again, so it seems random and repeatable.

Here is what I've done so far:
Rma'd 1 Gtx 560ti already
Resetted card more than once
Ran memtest (everything came out good; no errors
Tried my old 9800 gtx+ (everything is stable no matter what driver is applied.)
Uninstalled and reinstalled drivers numerous amounts of time, using safe mode and driver sweeper.
Tried overwriting old drivers the way Nvidia site suggest

My system Specs:
Windows 7 Ulimate 64 bit
Gigabyte P67x-UD3-B3
I5 2500k stock
Corsair vegeance 4g ram
Corsair 650w Psu
Western Digital sata 320gb

Avira as my anti-virus protector.

Anybody have any ideas? or are we just waiting on better drivers from Nvidia that SUPPORTS the newer hardware..?

The outcome was I never got my problem resolved even after the two RMA's and a many of months on the nvidia forums troubleshooting.

It is a personal belief of mine that when drivers are causing conflicts, there is much more going on then just software, ie, hardware.

Yes, this is the exact problem I am having. It hasn't happened in over 36 hours now which means its probably coming soon.

Deders

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2012
It does it even without Precision X, it's the default desktop low power frequency.

miketen587

Oct 2, 2012
It does it even without Precision X, it's the default desktop low power frequency.

Yeah, I figured that out while doing some research on Precision X and whether or not the program itself had anything to do with it. Safe to say it has nothing to do with it.

Anarchist420

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2010
www.facebook.com
The 560Tis have issues. I have the same problem with mine on every 280 or higher release that I've tried. Somehow, it works fine with a 275 driver, but the crashes happen and they're extremely random. It pisses me off to no end that I couldn't get the eVGA GTX460 256 2GB... I waited too late. It was like $100 cheaper, had a bigger fan, and actually wasn't defective.

I recommend RMAing personally... that's what I need to do. It wouldn't surprise me if they're defective because they were 460s with all of the CUDA cores enabled plus way higher clocks and my card's VID in performance mode is only 1v. nvidia can burn in hell and so can AMD.