304,000 Inmates Eligible for Deportation

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
Link
the annual number of deportable immigrant inmates was expected to vary from 300,000 to 455,000, or 10 percent of the overall inmate population, for the next few years.

Ms. Myers estimated that it would cost at least $2 billion a year to find all those immigrants and deport them.

Sounds like most of them aren't being deported either. Nice to see the government doing nothing to actually protect it's citizens, as usual.

Where are the candidates on this one?

punchkin

Banned
Dec 13, 2007
That's crazy. It shouldn't cost that much to find illegal immigrants already in custody and deport them! 2 billion per year? We need to deport these people, and we need better border security so they don't come back. I wasn't able to find the figures on the per-inmate average cost across the US for keeping so many illegal-immigrant inmates in prison, but that can't be cheap either.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: punchkin
That's crazy. It shouldn't cost that much to find illegal immigrants already in custody and deport them! 2 billion per year? We need to deport these people, and we need better border security so they don't come back. I wasn't able to find the figures on the per-inmate average cost across the US for keeping so many illegal-immigrant inmates in prison, but that can't be cheap either.

Deport them and a lot of people will lose their jobs in the prison industry.

Can't have that.

miketheidiot

Lifer
Sep 3, 2004

its not that unreasonable, about 4-6k per inmate. Most of that cost i suspect is the actual cost of deporting them, though i still think it seems a bit high, maybe half that and i wouldn't think twice.

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
Originally posted by: miketheidiot

its not that unreasonable, about 4-6k per inmate. Most of that cost i suspect is the actual cost of deporting them, though i still think it seems a bit high, maybe half that and i wouldn't think twice.
Considering how much we'll pay to keep them in our prison systems, 4-6k each is still a fvcking bargain!

Send 'em back... now.

Sinsear

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2007
Originally posted by: dmcowen674

Deport them and a lot of people will lose their jobs in the prison industry.

Can't have that.

Hardly Dave. The prisons would be full with or without them.

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003
Originally posted by: palehorse74
Originally posted by: Farang
How many are locked up on nonviolent drug charges I wonder.

does it matter? either way, we should send them home.

It is relevant if your argument is based on how expensive it is to keep them imprisoned. Part of the responsibility for that expense lies with the immigrant for coming here illegally, part of it lies with the government for wanting to keep him in prison (and in America) for smoking a joint.

punchkin

Banned
Dec 13, 2007
Too bad there's no way to feed them dog food or something else that's cheap, and make them work to pay their deportation costs off before they go. But I am thinking it's completely impossible from what I've read of the costs of imprisonment.

venkman

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2007
$2 Billion seems like chump change compared to removing a half of a million mouths to feed from the current prison population.

punchkin

Banned
Dec 13, 2007
Originally posted by: venkman
$2 Billion seems like chump change compared to removing a half of a million mouths to feed from the current prison population.

Oh, I'm sure it is too. But it's still a shitload of money. The thing I don't understand is why it would cost that much per year to deport them-- presumably the current number of illegal-immigrant inmates has built up over many years. miketheidiot's estimate seems to be based on the one-time cost of working off the backlog, but the article says that $2B would be the ongoing annual cost.

Also, $5k or thereabouts to deport an inmate seems ridiculously expensive. All it should take is doing a records check, then loading them all up on buses, notifying the Mexican authorities, and dumping them across the border.

I'd also be in favor of the death penalty for anyone caught sneaking illegal immigrants into this country. It seems like it might even currently be cost-effective, depending on the cost of keeping illegals in prison.

Drift3r

Jun 3, 2003

Oh, I'm sure it is too. But it's still a shitload of money. The thing I don't understand is why it would cost that much per year to deport them-- presumably the current number of illegal-immigrant inmates has built up over many years. miketheidiot's estimate seems to be based on the one-time cost of working off the backlog, but the article says that $2B would be the ongoing annual cost.

Also, $5k or thereabouts to deport an inmate seems ridiculously expensive. All it should take is doing a records check, then loading them all up on buses, notifying the Mexican authorities, and dumping them across the border.

I'd also be in favor of the death penalty for anyone caught sneaking illegal immigrants into this country. It seems like it might even currently be cost-effective, depending on the cost of keeping illegals in prison.

Um......that right there costs money to do. It's not like the magic clerk fairy is going around doing all the paper work to keep things legal or the fairy bus drive and his complement of guards are going to automatically not want to get paid.

punchkin

Banned
Dec 13, 2007
Originally posted by: Drift3r

Um......that right there costs money to do. It's not like the magic clerk fairy is going around doing all the paper work to keep things legal or the fairy bus drive and his complement of guards are going to automatically not want to get paid.

Go back and read where I wrote "should take". I'm not talking about what it does take, or claiming that red tape can't be expensive. Reading comprehension FTL.

Wheezer

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 1999
304,000?

sounds like an awful lot of free labor to build a nice sturdy wall on the border doesn't it?

Drift3r

Jun 3, 2003

Go back and read where I wrote "should take". I'm not talking about what it does take, or claiming that red tape can't be expensive. Reading comprehension FTL.

What it should or should not take in your mind is irrelevant to the actual real world cost of what it does take. Hence why your point is flawed. You assumed and asserted it should be cheaper but in fact the costs are probably reflective to the amount of work actually needed to be done to achieve this goal in real working environment.

punchkin

Banned
Dec 13, 2007

What it should or should not take in your mind is irrelevant to the actual real world cost of what it does take. Hence why your point is flawed. You assumed and asserted it should be cheaper but in fact the costs are probably reflective to the amount of work actually needed to be done to achieve this goal in real working environment.

My point is that it's expensive-- which it is. The point is not flawed. Your capacity to reason, on the other hand, is. By your reasoning, one could point to any inefficient process and deny any assertion as to its inefficiency, by stating that said assertion failed to consider the amount of work required under the inefficient process. This is the circular reasoning of an idiot.

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
Originally posted by: Wheezer
304,000?

sounds like an awful lot of free labor to build a nice sturdy wall on the border doesn't it?

Yeah, no kidding! Or march them down the highways on there way back to Mexico picking up all the trash... What's wrong with this nation? Why should inmates get to kick back in a cell and do NOTHING if they choose?

I think if they can't pick up there own weight in trash then they don't get to eat for that day... It's no wonder there is such a HIGH return rate back to prison... People got it made!!! Showers every day... Clean cloths... Books to read while you relax on your clean bed... Heat and AC... TV every day, 3 meals a day.... It's disgusting!!!!!!!!!!!!

Prison is suppose to be some sort of punishment of making sure your actions you took was 'wrong'... not some free ride that strains the tax payer....

Sad part is, if they did work "we would actually have to PAY them..."

Wheezer

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 1999
Originally posted by: ericlp
304,000?

Yeah, no kidding! Or march them down the highways on there way back to Mexico picking up all the trash... What's wrong with this nation? Why should inmates get to kick back in a cell and do NOTHING if they choose?

I think if they can't pick up there own weight in trash then they don't get to eat for that day... It's no wonder there is such a HIGH return rate back to prison... People got it made!!! Showers every day... Clean cloths... Books to read while you relax on your clean bed... Heat and AC... TV every day, 3 meals a day.... It's disgusting!!!!!!!!!!!!

Prison is suppose to be some sort of punishment of making sure your actions you took was 'wrong'... not some free ride that strains the tax payer....

Sad part is, if they did work "we would actually have to PAY them..."

I have been saying for such a long time we need to take non-violent criminals out if their three hots and a cot, their little friendship circles where they sit around crying about how life has been so unfair and give them some REAL rehabilitation.

Teach them a trade like construction and hell who knows one of them could be a damn fine engineer.

It's a win win situation:

The American public gets a return for their money feeding and housing these men.
We save money by not having to pay all the labor costs.

They get out of the monotony of everyday prison life.
They learn a trade that they can use once they are out.

the illegals can be used to build the wall, and since they are already down there, dump them on the other side and now they can use their skills to further their own society and make it better....if not well they'll have a hell of a time getting back in with that new wall.

Unfortunately we have too many bleeding hearts that find that to be "cruel and unusual" punishment.

EXman

Lifer
Jul 12, 2001
304,000?

That's an awesome idea.

I've had that Idea for years

it is a common sense idea that could work wonders.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
I calculate the cost is more like $6,600 oer illegal immigrant.

However, to look at that number and relate it mostly to deportation (airfare, bus whatever) is too simplistic.

I live in one of the very few small towns participating in the government's ICE program with local sherrif/jails. Some items I suspect are included in that $2Bil amount:

-Our Sheriff's Dept got a pretty good size grant to help the fund the program. I suppose our county is picking up some of the tab, but do not know if that's in $2B number.

- We had to purchase a very expensive high-tech fingerprint machine that uses laser technology. No more ink printed prints. The digital is of course necessary to check the fingerprints with the online government databases in real time.

- Fancy new machine means employee(s) trained in the technology etc. May mean new hires as well.

- other new computer system to interface with databases.

- Training for ICE and immigration law etc. Likely needed to hire additional personnel as these people were taken off other responsibilites.

- Squad cars etc for these people.

- Once identified etc the illegals are eventually transported to a fed immigration facility about 5 hrs away. Overnight stay, food? IDK.

- You're gonna have attorney's fees and court costs in that number too. Maybe even some costs for the illegal's confinement during these hearings etc.

Not all illegals are Mexican, many are from Central & South America. No bus trip then. ICE charters flights to take them the proper country.

-Probarably some costs in identifying and communicating with the other countries.

Fern

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
It's estimated that as much as 50% of Kahleeforneeya's prison population is illegal immigrants...that's a HUGE amount we're paying to house citizens of a foreign country...