3 TB Barricuda at the Egg for 90$

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008
I love you.....
Was what I typed. Now I just hate you. They are sold out....
Such a cock tease lol. I needed one of these badly to continue to grow my movie collection and TV collection. I'm hurting badly on Hard Drive space lol.

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008
I think it pertains to HTPC builders still. I mean, you can't tell me people on here aren't looking for 3 TB HDs under 100 dollars. Majority of people needing storage are storing media so I guess it kind of falls under both =D.

Annisman*

Golden Member
Aug 20, 2010
Sorry guys, when I posted they were available, also sold out at same price over at amazon

Mfusick

Dec 20, 2010
Just fine for software RAID though.

Right.

They actually work fine for a basic RAID0 Array.

I wouldn't use them in a data security sensitive application though. I'd take an enterprise edition with TLER settings correct.

But in software raid like FlexRaid/SnapRaid etc.. it would be perfect.

Or as a normal SATA storage drive.

Or as a large 6TB RAID0 daily driver - where no data security is needed or it's moved/backed up frequently to a server.

Only a hardware RAID set up that uses an enterprise level RAID CONTROLLER on the RAID card would be a non ideal application for these.

Even SATA RAID from a LGA1555 motherboard would be fine- since the RAID is done by the CPU in stripes and you would not get errors like an enterprise RAID card.

There is a difference between hardware raids- Like when it's built into the board vs that duty offloaded to a controller card with build in controller and processor. Its the secondary enterprise cards with their own processor and controller built into the cards that don't play nice with non enterprise HDD's with improper TLER settings.

Consumer level HDDs play fine with consumer level products.

Enterprise levels products play fine with enterprise level products.

Example: Consumer motherboard with consumer HDD.
Example Enterprise RAID CARD with Enterprise HDD

Only when you mix do funny things happen.

Mfusick

Dec 20, 2010
Non-RAID hard drives don't have TLER, which when a hard drive has difficulty reading a sector, lead to unnecessary RAID rebuilds. Then again, RAID is not a backup.

Right. But again only on a controller that expecting the data sooner than the 8 seconds TLER- or a HDD thats taking too long.

If I had an enterprise RAID card with it's own processor and controller I'd certainly want to use enterprise HDD's with proper TLER settings.

Most don't have that- and just looking for cheap storage in a software raid server, or consumer level PC. For that use- These are ideal.

AnitaPeterson

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
Thank you for posting this!

The price on the U.S. side has gone up in the meantime, but when I replaced the .com with .ca in the address, I got the same item for CAD90. So it looks like, every once in a while, even Canadians can get good deals... :p