3 routers on home network

Dusko Nikolic

Jan 9, 2017
Hi there,

I know enough about networking to be dangerous so I need help with this particular issue please

I live in a building where landlord provides internet access through a wired connection. Becuse that connection is shared between all tenants, speed is crap so I installed my own private connection from the telecom provider.

So now I have two internet connections with two wireless routers. In order to combine those two internet connections I purchased TP link TP-R470T+ load balance router to which all my other devices are connected (via el cheapo 8 port switch). I configured balance router by watching youtube videos.

I also had to buy a wireless point becuse when connected wirelesly to either of the two routers I could not acccess other devices (mainly UPNP streamer and chromecast) becuse the three routers all have different IP networks. I needed wirelles point to be on the same domain (not sure if a domain is a proper term) as a TP link router. All devices are assigned IP address through TP link DHCP with NAS having a static address so I don't have to map it everytime I rebote it for some reason.

Now the issue is that I can't access any of the two wirelss routers from my PC. I understand why is that, because routers and PC are on three different IP networks. I was wondering if there is a way I could do that? Some setup in the TP link router that would allow me to see other routers from PC? Also it would be great if I could access UPNP devices from a tablet when connected to any of the 3 wirelles networks.

Preferably I would like to keep wireless funcionality of the two routers, that means I would need to keep DHCP live on both and configure the whole thing in a way that three DHCP servers don't clash with each other.

I tried looking in to this and I think it can be achieved with NAT somehow but was not able to figure it out correctly.

Any help would be appreciated.Also, a pointer to a literature, that explains this sort of more advanced networking topics, would be usefull so I can read and learn something.

I tried downloading literature on networking but could not find something that is in between manuals for total begineers and university books talking about statistical models for packet colision and other similar topics that will just give me brain damage.

Thanks

Carson Dyle

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2012
The simplest thing would be to just abandon the building's internet connection and only use your own connection. Is there a reason why you need both?

Next in complexity would be to keep the two networks completely separate and put a couple of devices on the building's connection, and everything else on your connection. Just so long as you don't need network access to those devices from your other network.

Dusko Nikolic

Jan 9, 2017
Seriously, if the lan provided by the building sucks so hard, don't load balance with it.
It was bad when I got second line, but it was upgraded after that changed to fiber optics so now it is not that bad. There is some benefit in aggregating those two lines

mv2devnull

Golden Member
Apr 13, 2010
There are three networks: Landlord, YourISP, Home. The Home is a "LAN" and the other two are "WAN". You have TP-R470T+. Plug all three networks to it. Done.

Exactly one router routing between the three networks. Exactly one router providing DHCP for everyone in the Home. The number of wireless access points in the Home is up to you.

Dusko Nikolic

Jan 9, 2017
There are three networks: Landlord, YourISP, Home. The Home is a "LAN" and the other two are "WAN". You have TP-R470T+. Plug all three networks to it. Done.

Exactly one router routing between the three networks. Exactly one router providing DHCP for everyone in the Home. The number of wireless access points in the Home is up to you.
Yes, that is what I have but when I want to access landlord router which has ip of 192.168.1.1 from my pc that has ip 192.168.3.1 I can't. the question was what to do to be able to do that

mv2devnull

Golden Member
Apr 13, 2010
(Do) You mean that
A) you cannot throw the landlord's router to landfill
B) you can access the router, if you connect your machine to the router directly (wired or wireless)
C) access through your router fails

The (relevant) network:
Landlord's ISP === Landlord ==A== TPR470 ==B

A: 192.168.1/x (Landlord LAN)
B: 192.168.3/y (your Home LAN)
Router Landlord routes between ISP and A, acts as DHCP for A, and does NAT traffic that goes out to ISP.
TPR470 routes between A and B, acts as DHCP for B, and does NAT traffic that goes out to A.
There is wire from LAN-port of Landlord to WAN-port of TPR470.

For all intents and purposes the TPR470 is "a PC" in the subnet A. If members of A can access Landlord, then they can.
For all intents and purposes your PC that is connected to LAN-port of TPR470 is the TPR470 (due NAT), as far as the Landlord is concerned.

Two obvious possibilities:
1. TPR470 is set to block traffic that it does not need to block.
2. TPR470 routes traffic destined to 192.168.1.1 via the other WAN-port (and ISP) even though 192.168.1/x is link-local on the first WAN-port, and though 192.168.1.1 is private address.

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
1. You can't do anything regarding your landlord's network.
2. No matter what kind of your access point is, you never uplink its WAN port (if it's a router turned access point)to your own TPLink router, only LAN port. That way, you only have one IP range for your own network.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2011
You do not have three routers, you have two ISP connections.

Just get one router with dual-WAN capability. (ASUS AC66U, AC68U, and AC88U all work, for starters.)

Plug the main WAN port into your private ISP connection, and plug the other into the landlord's. Configure the (1) router appropriately.

You may need to change out equipment from your private ISP connection (if they have an all-in-one router/modem combination or something.) They should be able to provide you with a modem-only device. Failing that, you can probably put it into passthrough mode. Ask your ISP to help you configure the equipment they provided.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I read into this, that he wanted to use the Landlord router and Private_ISP router's wifi connections, for wifi coverage, maybe.

If so, you really need to treat the LAN ports of the Landlord router and Private_ISP router as WAN ports, to your local load-balancing router, and then add a Mesh wifi setup on your LAN side.

Or get a powerful Asus router, and do the load-balancing within it, as Dave suggested.