3-7-07 Republican Mississippi Governor would rather see his citizens starve than raise taxes on Tabacco companies

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
I'm not surprised the Republican Governor would rather see his citizens starve than raise taxes on Tabacco companies.

Also not surpised to see thier pleasure in seeing so many people die from their cheap vice too.

I hope the Republican President nominee picks this guy for VP, good population control.

3-7-2007 Mississippi grocery tax fight

Hudson and her fellow state residents are finding themselves in a financial pinch: They pay the highest taxes on groceries, yet rank among the lowest paid households in the nation.

"For the poorest state in the nation to have the highest sales tax on groceries is cruel," said state Sen. Alan Nunnelee, a Republican who hopes to address the imbalance by cutting the grocery tax.

Proponents of a cut are keenly aware of what's happening on the other side of the Mississippi River. In neighboring Arkansas, where household incomes also are among the lowest in the country, the new Democratic governor, Mike Beebe, signed a law last month that will cut the grocery tax in half on July 1, from 6 percent to 3 percent.

Republican Gov. Haley Barbour opposes the bill and he vetoed two cigarette-grocery "tax swap" bills in 2006, which lawmakers failed to override. "I'm against raising anybody's taxes," Barbour says consistently when asked about the legislation this year.

Critics say Barbour is protecting the tobacco companies that helped make him wealthy when they were clients of Barbour Griffith and Rogers LLC, the Washington lobbying firm he founded and ran before winning the governorship of his home state in 2003.

"Our citizens smoke and get sick because they smoke much more so than citizens of other states. And I have to believe that in some way that's tied to the fact that we have the third lowest cigarette tax in the nation," Nunnelee said.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
You beat me to posting this. Mississippi is a mess. They have one of the highest taxes on food, lowest taxes on cigarrettes, highest rate of cardiovascular disease in America. And without the huge subsidies from the donor states it would be a third world country.
Of course they just subsidized Toyota to the tune of hundreds of millions of dollars so they would build a car factory there...using money from the donor states like Michigan who are subsidizing the movement of jobs to Mississippi.
And "right wingers' want to say that these jobs going to Mississippi show Mississipi is doing something right?

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Grocery tax is one of the most regressive taxes there is, so it's a Republican wet dream.
Groceries are mostly sales tax exempt in CA.

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005
Originally posted by: senseamp
Grocery tax is one of the most regressive taxes there is, so it's a Republican wet dream.

Apparently you have missed the threads showing that Democrats, not Republicans, are trying to raise gas taxes. Also, in Maryland, they want to expand the sales tax to services and anything else they can get their hands on. Now, who do you think that would hurt the most? Most people in the service industry are not upper class. Nice try though.

Edit - you couldn't have missed it, you posted in one of them. Looks like its a Republicans and Democrats wet dream. Or are you going to ignore the Dems that are pushing for regressive taxes?

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Originally posted by: JD50

Apparently you have missed the threads showing that Democrats, not Republicans, are trying to raise gas taxes. Also, in Maryland, they want to expand the sales tax to services and anything else they can get their hands on. Now, who do you think that would hurt the most? Most people in the service industry are not upper class. Nice try though.

Edit - you couldn't have missed it, you posted in one of them. Looks like its a Republicans and Democrats wet dream. Or are you going to ignore the Dems that are pushing for regressive taxes?

Umm, I said in that thread that I disagreed with raising gas taxes for the precise reason that it's regressive. So go build your strawman somewhere else.
Now it's your turn to condemn the grocery tax in Mississippi.

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005

Umm, I said in that thread that I disagreed with raising gas taxes for the precise reason that it's regressive. So go build your strawman somewhere else.

Of course I condemn the grocery tax. I'm just curious as to how you think that this is a "Republicans wet dream" when its obvious that Democrats are pulling the same BS.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006

Of course I condemn the grocery tax. I'm just curious as to how you think that this is a "Republicans wet dream" when its obvious that Democrats are pulling the same BS.

Just because some democrats are pulling that BS, doesn't mean it's not a Republican wet dream. Republicans love to tell us how we need to get rid of income taxes in favor of flat taxes or sales taxes.

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005

Just because some democrats are pulling that BS, doesn't mean it's not a Republican wet dream. Republicans love to tell us how we need to get rid of income taxes in favor of flat taxes or sales taxes.

Just because some Republicans are pulling that BS, doesn't mean it's not a Democrats wet dream.

I can play partisan cheerleader too, but it doesn't get us anywhere.

imported_Shivetya

Platinum Member
Jul 7, 2005
tobacco taxes are bogus.

The government is taxing something they declare in their own courts as hazardous to your health.

Swapping taxes is wrong and I think the governor was right in his decision. Remove the sales tax on food but you don't have to raise other taxes to pay for it. Cut the damn budget.

Raising taxes on smokes also doesn't work because if consumption goes down you cannot make up the difference easily.

imported_Shivetya

Platinum Member
Jul 7, 2005

Well I got proof otherwise, seems some Democrats are for keeping the grocery tax and reducing other taxes to help the poor (this would be in Arkansas)

The logic used? Visitors to the state would not pay taxes on groceries thereby depriving the state of money. (as if the money belonged to the state to begin with)

Wet dream for Republicans my ass, all taxes are politician wet dreams, you just got to hope your not the one's they want to screw

johnnobts

Golden Member
Jun 26, 2005
michigan is just jealous b/c we have better fried chicken, cheaper smokes, and nicer cars down here in the dirty south.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
So who is raising the taxes? Are the Republicans raising the taxes or the Democrats? Either way, this is what happens when you let a state use Sales Taxes too much as a revenue builder. Once any government official gets a tax passed it is really hard to get them to reduce their taxes. This is what government does it raises taxes to control the little people and make them dependent on the government for everything in their lives.

High Taxes on food only really hurts the poor and the working low-end of the middle-class. If they raise tobacco in Mississippi that might be one reason to protect the tobacco tax. It could be viewed as protecting their constituents. Protecting constituents is what politicians are paid to do. However, a high tax on food is not protecting the poor. It is noted that the poor do not make donations to politicians.

miketheidiot

Lifer
Sep 3, 2004

Taxing food, a basic human necessity, is a little different than a gas tax or service taxes.

miketheidiot

Lifer
Sep 3, 2004
Originally posted by: Shivetya
tobacco taxes are bogus.

The government is taxing something they declare in their own courts as hazardous to your health.

Swapping taxes is wrong and I think the governor was right in his decision. Remove the sales tax on food but you don't have to raise other taxes to pay for it. Cut the damn budget.

Raising taxes on smokes also doesn't work because if consumption goes down you cannot make up the difference easily.

I think reducing consumption is the goal here. Interestingly, reaising taxes on cigarettes would in the long run reduce the budget.

miketheidiot

Lifer
Sep 3, 2004
Originally posted by: johnnobts
michigan is just jealous b/c we have better fried chicken, cheaper smokes, and nicer cars down here in the dirty south.

Oh and more heart disease.

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005
Originally posted by: miketheidiot

Taxing food, a basic human necessity, is a little different than a gas tax or service taxes.

No, its not. Taxes are taxes. If I have a hundred dollars this week to spend on food and gas to get to work, it doesn't make a difference whether or not I am paying twenty extra dollars in food tax or twenty extra dollars on a gas tax, I have to pay it either way.

sierrita

Mar 24, 2002

No, its not. Taxes are taxes. If I have a hundred dollars this week to spend on food and gas to get to work, it doesn't make a difference whether or not I am paying twenty extra dollars in food tax or twenty extra dollars on a gas tax, I have to pay it either way.

Not every human needs to buy gas to get to work.
Every Human needs to eat.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
While I think it is absolutely shameful that Mississippi taxes groceries, the false dilemma posed in the OP begs the question: how will the state generate this revenue when people stop smoking?

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002
Originally posted by: Vic
While I think it is absolutely shameful that Mississippi taxes groceries, the false dilemma posed in the OP begs the question: how will the state generate this revenue when people stop smoking?

Good point, however, while it may raise the question, it most certainly does not "beg the question".

9. beg the question, to assume the truth of the very point raised in a question.

Sorry to be a grammar cop, but this abuse of the language cannot go unchecked.

:p

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002

MN democrats have these regressive taxes lined up us common folk.
Gas Tax
Sales Tax
Cigarette Tax
License Tab Renewel increase

imported_Shivetya

Platinum Member
Jul 7, 2005
Originally posted by: sierrita

unless they walk they pay the tax on transportation through embedded taxation. In other words, tax the gas the transportation companies use is just taxing the person using the service.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Uh... gas taxes affect a lot more than just people who drive cars. How do you think the groceries get to the grocery store?

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005
Originally posted by: Vic
Uh... gas taxes affect a lot more than just people who drive cars. How do you think the groceries get to the grocery store?

Magical fairies?

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002
Originally posted by: Shivetya
Originally posted by: sierrita

unless they walk they pay the tax on transportation through embedded taxation. In other words, tax the gas the transportation companies use is just taxing the person using the service.

Let's not over-analyze this; after all you could argue that food is already taxed since the farmer paid tax on the fuel required to grow it. Heck he probably paid taxes on the land it was grown on.

The point is these are additional point of sale taxes and one can easily make a distinction without getting too mired in the details.