3.1 or keep soundbar?

Discussion in 'Audio/Video & Home Theater' started by nitrousninja, Nov 2, 2012.

1. nitrousninja

nitrousninja Golden Member

I have a Sony CT550W soundbar mainly for the HD decoding and HDMI inputs. It does alright with most movies but not all. Would going to a 3.1 system get me enough improvement to make it worth it?

I have a pair of Polk TSi400s from another system I used to use. I was looking at the Denon 1713 and a Definitive Technology CS1000 center channel speaker due to its clearance. I dont have any practical way to mount surrounds so they are out.

Has anyone tried it? The AudesseyXT should downmix the surrounds through the fronts right?

2. Vdubchaos

Vdubchaos Lifer

We are talking Soundbar vs proper speaker system?

Of course it will be MUCH MUCH better.

These soundbars are hardly an upgrade from TV speakers....

3. boomhower

boomhower Diamond Member

Go with the proper speakers but match the center to your fronts. Get either the CS10 or CS20 depending on your budget. The 1713 is a great choice for receiver. If you can live with a refurb accessories4less usually has them.

4. slpaulson

slpaulson Diamond Member

Also, if you are against getting a refurb receiver, you can get the 1713 for lower than MSRP if you call up www.jr.com to place an order. I don't know what their price is at the moment, but I bought mine brand new from jr for significantly less than the MSRP.

5. nitrousninja

nitrousninja Golden Member

went with the 1713(BB pricematched to Amazon at $49) and CS10(Frys priced matched Amazon to $119) and the setup was a breeze.

I watched Drive and it was immediately better. I cant wait to watch some other movies to listen to the difference.