2nd gen chromebooks still speedy?

Mar 15, 2003
My windows 8 lenovo has been atrocious, from wifi dropping all the time (come on guys, you should have wifi working by now) to random freezes - it's just miserable.

I don't want to spend a lot of money for a web/email laptop and chromebooks seem like a sensible option. How are the last gen of chromebooks keeping up? The acer c70 and the samsung xe303 are available for less than $175 refurbed - are these going to be snappy, or should I pay up for a current gen model?

Also, anyone use a chromebook tethered to an iphone? how's the experience?

Thanks!

s44

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2006
You mean the C720 or the C710? The C710 is a piece of crap - Ivy Bridge, spinning drive, just forget it. The Samsung ARM Chromebook is still the same machine it was at release... snappy enough if you don't do a pile of tabs.

You actually will see refurb C720s around now too, and those are the best deal. It's actually one of the fastest, and for $200 new all you're compromising on is the screen. The HP, $250 new at Amazon, has the same guts as the Samsung but the best sub-$1k screen (11" 13*7 but IPS) and charges on microUSB. No SD slot on the HP though, bleah.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
What does chrome book have to do with wireless?
Bad Power supply
Bad Motherboard
Bad Centrino card
Bad Drivers
All of the above.

gmaster456

Golden Member
Sep 7, 2011
I would take a look at an old off lease dell latitude. Unless your needs are really basic, chromebooks are fairly limited in what they can do.

Mar 15, 2003
I would take a look at an old off lease dell latitude. Unless your needs are really basic, chromebooks are fairly limited in what they can do.

True, but I have this relatively new lenovo and I figured I'd do serious work on that and use the chromebook for daily driver stuff. I'm a fan of instant on, and I remember older dell's not doing well there with 1 min long boot sequences.

pw257008

Jan 11, 2014
I'd definitely take the Ivy Bridge, spinning drive over a Samsung Exynos chip with probably so so flash memory.

ninaholic37

Golden Member
Apr 13, 2012
I'm a fan of instant on, and I remember older dell's not doing well there with 1 min long boot sequences.
I have a Dell Latitude D410 and it instantly resumes from standby when you close and open the lid. No issues or delay at all (maybe 0.05 seconds?).

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
The Acer 720's keyboard quality is crap. If you expect to type a decent bit on it, or use the keyboard for navigation...just don't. I've already destroyed cursor keycaps on mine. The feel of the KB is above average, but the durability is bottom of the barrel. The C710's keyboard isn't bad at all, though, and has most important keys. The C720's battery life, however, is excellent, in both ChromeOS and real Linux (though most distros have terrible defaults for cpufreqd, and pstates is buggy--expect to have to play with config files).

The C710 came in HDD or SSD varieties, and uses 2.5" drives, so gives more options for upgrading them (the C720 has a M.2 2242 SSD, which is now a common OEM size, but uncommon retail size). Also, it had two DIMM slots, and can take at least 8GB of RAM, and maybe even 16GB (the C720's RAM is not upgradeable). The C710 also has a VGA port, and an integrated RJ45. They're hardly Latitudes or Thinkpads, but far from crap, especially if you can get one for <=$150 (common on eBay).

Linux support is definitely better with the C720. Just properly turning it on and off, sleeping and resuming, don't necessarily work right yet with the C710, even with workarounds.

With ChromeOS, they come on from off, not standby, in just a few seconds.

Also, both the C710 and C720 benefit from generation CPU and memory improvements. If you benchmark them with long-running loops, they hang in there with run of the mill Core 2 Duos, thanks to their crippled caches (also, my C720 runs Dawarf Fortress ~50% faster than a desktop C2D E6600 (2.4Ghz), so even that's not a hard rule). But with bursty work, like browsing the web, they're crazy fast, compared to those. Sites that are slideshows on C2Ds render/animate quickly/smoothly on both the SB and Haswell Acers. The Atom, Jaguar, and Exynos ones are all insanely slow, in comparison (the particular models used are the slow/cheap ones, on top of them not being speed demons in general).

Last edited:

hans007

Lifer
Feb 1, 2000
the c710 came in SSD. and newegg has it for $100 after a $20 rebate right now refurb.

the 720 is better battery life wise, and cpu wise (though given what a chromebook is used for probably doesnt matter much) but probably ist more like $150 refurb .

that said, get an intel one over the ARM ones unless the arm one is super super cheap.