2k's stability!!

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by bjc112, May 30, 2001.

1. bjc112

bjc112 Lifer

hey all, just made the move to 2k and it is much better.... and faster.. the stability is great and i was wondering.. has anyone been able to actually crash it several times.. without doing serious things.. i just mean certain things that would crash 98... this may be a stupid usless question but i was just curious..

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - 2k's stability Forum Date
    Windows 7 Pro x64 stability issues Operating Systems Mar 12, 2010
    Windows 2K Hard Drive Support Operating Systems Nov 20, 2008
    Weird sharing problem on windows 2k server. Operating Systems Mar 19, 2008
    2k install hangs on "Saving settings" Operating Systems Dec 7, 2007
    Help-registry problem in 2k Operating Systems Dec 5, 2007

3. Kadesh

Kadesh Member

It used to crash daily but that problem mysteriously went away. I didn't patch or anything, I had applied SP1 but that didn't stop it. It's fine now though. Just as good as Linux :).

Drivers are a big source of instability so that's a variable you can't really control. The OS can be rock solid stable but if your video driver decides now would be a good time to scramble some memory, g'bye uptime.

4. hominid skull

hominid skull Senior member

Win2k used to crash when i was using IE 5 - more than one a day, since i installed SP2 a couple of weeks ago i haven't had a single crash.

Not bad.

5. ProviaFan

ProviaFan Lifer

Windows 2000 used to BSOD for me every few minutes, but that was fixed by getting rid of my AGP TNT2 video card in favor of a PCI Radeon. Apparently (or so I've been told), the ALI chipset in my Socket7 mobo didn't like AGP video cards (why in the world would they put an AGP slot on there to begin with, if it didn't work right?).
    Anyway, it runs for about a week at a time now, but I have to shut it down because of t-storms (which are quite common in southern Indiana at this time of year). Actually, I just "hibernate" it, so really it's not actually shut down :)
    --
    Josh

6. bjc112

bjc112 Lifer

yea.. mine has been good..i had one freeze.. but that was becasue i just installed all kinds of drivers, fonts.. games.. and never rebooted... but then idid.. and i have been fine since!

7. Chupa

Chupa Member

I can get mine to BSOD by running MechWarrior 4 at over 800x600, which is odd considering I have a Geforce DDR :(

8. akiraxtc

akiraxtc Senior member

i crashed win2k before... after installing win98 drivers for my digital cam. BSOD over and over and over again...
    Hehe guess what win98 drivers can do to your win2k :p

9. igiveup

igiveup Golden Member

Jliechty: Why would you hybernate your machine? If its because of power surges then anything short of unplugging it from the wall won't work.

10. ProviaFan

ProviaFan Lifer

/* Jliechty: Why would you hybernate your machine? If its because of power surges then anything short of unplugging it from the wall won't work. */

Well, after I hibernate it, it turns off, then I unplug the power cord and phone line (unfortunately I'm on dial-up :-(). Then, when the t-storm is over, I plug it back in and turn it on. It simply restores the contents of the ram from the hd, so instead of going thru Win2k's extensive boot-up proceedure, it starts up in about 15 seconds.
    --
    Josh

11. Marine

Marine Senior member

I can make it lock up anytime I want to just by overclocking my processor!

12. igiveup

igiveup Golden Member

Cool. Learning about power the hard way here in California.

13. sk560

sk560 Senior member

have been using W2k for a yr now... on both my laptop and desktop. W2K never crash on my laptop. however, if i push too hard on the dekstop (overclocking)... i'll start seeing BSOD's.

14. bjc112

bjc112 Lifer

so.. then 2k is basically uncrashable in most cases unless.. heat or pushing the limits too hard on hardware..?? thats awesome.. so far i love 2k and would never EVER go back..

15. SemperFi

SemperFi Platinum Member

I got a couple BSOD and a couple hard locks. It was my ATI tv wonder usb. It didn't like to share usb port on my hub. Installed my extra ports to the MB back to no problems.:cool:

16. mitaiwan82

mitaiwan82 Platinum Member

only thing i can get my win2k to freeze totally is reading some CD's from my Afreey 50x CD-ROM...dunno why it does it...the Plextor burner on the other hand works seamlessly w/ whatever i put in

17. igiveup

igiveup Golden Member

If Windows 2000 hates anything I would have to say it has to be games. Maybe its DirectX or something, who knows. Its almost impossible for me to crash this thing. Even if a game does bomb out on me it only kicks me back to the desktop. Only been able to kill it once, and that was pre-SP1.

18. heat23

heat23 Elite Member

Win2k IS uncrashable...
    as far as i can remember, its crashed on me once in the past year i guess...and that was cuz i put a really scratched up CD in there and it couldnt read it and it messed up

19. bjc112

bjc112 Lifer

yea.. that's what happened to me.. i was installing several thing.. and i didnt have SP1 or 2 yet.. and it locked.. but other than that! SOLID AS A ROCK!!

20. potz

potz Senior member

I can make it crash at will. Cool huh!

Check out my earlier post.

21. bjc112

bjc112 Lifer

yea :) i read that before.. i could impress some people!?!