Solved! 2K Gaming Build

Ol3cki

Mar 2, 2020
Hey guys. First time building my own PC. My goal is to play games like Far Cry 5 and The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt at high settings on a 1440p 144Hz monitor. Is this build good enough or overkill for that? Any suggestions?

I know NVIDIA is supposed to be dropping their new “Ampere” graphics cards and AMD is supposed to be dropping their NVIDIA Killer “Big Navi” graphics cards sometime this year. Is it worth waiting for those in order to: A. Buy those cards or B. Hope they drive the prices of older graphics cards down? Any advice would be appreciated.

Any advice would be appreciated. Budget is also around the 2k mark including monitor, mouse, keyboard and headset but I don't mind going a bit over.

Build: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Olecki/saved/#view=C8Q68d

Component Selection Price
CPU Intel Core i7-9700K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor $369.99
CPU Cooler NZXT Kraken M22 Liquid CPU Cooler $75.98
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard $179.99
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $72.98
Storage Samsung 860 Evo 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive $149.99
Video Card NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB Video Card $499.99
Case NZXT H210i Mini ITX Tower Case $109.99
Power Supply Corsair RMx (2018) 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply $99.99
Monitor AOC AG241QX 23.8" 2560x1440 144 Hz Monitor $380.98
Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB PLATINUM Wired Gaming Keyboard $156.72
Mouse Corsair IRONCLAW RGB FPS/MOBA Wired Optical Mouse $53.41
Headphones Kingston HyperX Cloud Stinger Headset $47.93
Total: $2197.94

Solution
Some quick thoughts: Tough call at the moment, due to a number of factors.

1. Some are advising to buy now because pricing, especially on SSDs, is going to go up, as much as 40 percent in their case. According to Linus Tech Tips, you may even see shortages on some hardware.

2. While there are new CPUs and GPUs coming, there is no way of knowing what kind of delays the impact of the virus will cause.

I say build now. I am not certain if a 2070 super will do 144fps with eye candy settings tweaks or not in those titles, you will have to google fu it. I am not a fan of building Intel right now, e.g. dying platform, security issues, and pricing is too high imo, for what you get. But it is a solid build, if you are an Intel guy, and/or it...

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Some quick thoughts: Tough call at the moment, due to a number of factors.

1. Some are advising to buy now because pricing, especially on SSDs, is going to go up, as much as 40 percent in their case. According to Linus Tech Tips, you may even see shortages on some hardware.

2. While there are new CPUs and GPUs coming, there is no way of knowing what kind of delays the impact of the virus will cause.

I say build now. I am not certain if a 2070 super will do 144fps with eye candy settings tweaks or not in those titles, you will have to google fu it. I am not a fan of building Intel right now, e.g. dying platform, security issues, and pricing is too high imo, for what you get. But it is a solid build, if you are an Intel guy, and/or it will be the difference in holding those fps. I would also go for higher frequency ram, and better headset if I was spending that much on a build right now.

Reactions: Ol3cki
Solution