2GB 5870, dual 8-pin, custom pcb, full slot exhaust, eyefinity

Tempered81

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2007
Yes, it's the famed ASUS MATRIX series of graphics cards. This time, the ASUS ROG MATRIX HD5870 2GB Should be an amazing card, and pricey.

2GB of VRam
Voltage control of VDDC, VDCCI, and VMEM
Voltage measuring points on the card's exterior
Dual bios with push-button flashing (to reset bad overclocks)
Custom designed heat-pipe cooler fully enclosed shroud
Full slot rear exhaust with custom ball-bearing fan
Stock clocks of 900mhz core 4900mhz mem
Dual 8-pin PCI-E Power connectors
Revamped custom PCB & PWM design

Asus is really bringing in the Cypress goodies as in addition to the Radeon HD 5870 TOP and Radeon HD 5850 DirectCU (seen yesterday), it has also developed a Matrix series Radeon HD 5870 model. Bearing the ROG (Republic of Gamers) banner, the upcoming Radeon features 1600 Stream Processors, a 256-bit memory interface, a GPU clock of 900 MHz (850 MHz stock), 2GB of GDDR5 memory @ 4900 MHz (4800 MHz), DirectX 11 and CrossFireX support, DVI, HDMI and DisplayPort outputs, plus two 8-pin PCIe power connectors (as opposed to the dual 6-pin plugs on reference models).

The Matrix HD 5870 also comes with v-check points, a button that returns the card to 'safe' frequencies in case your overclocking goes wrong, a custom, dual-slot cooler with a (likely) PWM fan, and a nice, large backplate.

Asus_Radeon_HD_5870_Matrix_04.jpg

imageview.php

Asus_Radeon_HD_5870_Matrix_01.jpg

Asus_Radeon_HD_5870_Matrix_02.jpg

Asus_Radeon_HD_5870_Matrix_03.jpg

http://www.zol.com.cn/
http://www.tcmagazine.com/comments.php?shownews=32616&catid=2

Last edited:

PCboy

Jul 9, 2001
Two words: holy shit.

I've been looking for a second GTX 285 Matrix everywhere but that won't matter anymore. Price is no object for me when it's extremely aesthetically pleasing so I'm in for two. Only caveat would be ASUS support regarding limited edition cards. :(

T2k

Golden Member
Feb 24, 2004
Too little, too late. The only way to make it interesting if it comes for only ~$60 more than regular 5870 - otherwise wait until someone (Sapphire, hello?!) rools out a dual 5850 or 5970 prices drop (come Fermi).

digitaldurandal

Golden Member
Dec 3, 2009
I have the EAH5870 because of the voltage adjustments offered, dont plan on using eyefinity with overclocking at the same time via CCC, you will have issues. I would wait for benchmarks and see if the 2gb is even worth it. 1gb of gddr5 is already quite a bit of bandwidth, so I imagine this only useful in select games with eyefinity.

Tempered81

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2007
Wizzard has some 2gb 5870's over at TPU and i've seen him say in a few threads that 2gb over 1gb does nothing.In fact, i think his exact words were, "I cant say much, but I will tell you our conclusion: no difference". So, I agree with you that 2gb wont make much difference, however a lot of folks are holding out for 2gb cards. Also, this thing has a full slot exhaust (minus that little button), custom vrms, custom pcb, custom chips, 3-way voltage control, v-check points, custom cooler, custom backplate, etc... and it looks awesome. I think that "ASUS MATRIX" logo even lights up

T2k

Golden Member
Feb 24, 2004
1GB vs 2GB: depends on several factors but you surely won't see the same jump you can see by going from 512MB to 1GB.

solofly

Banned
May 25, 2003

I've been looking for a second GTX 285 Matrix everywhere but that won't matter anymore. Price is no object for me when it's extremely aesthetically pleasing so I'm in for two.

Lucky PCboy...;)

Apocalypse23

Golden Member
Jul 14, 2003
Nice find! It should be interesting to see some benchmarks and performance gains over the standard 5870.

CraigRT

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
I understand the reason behind enclosures on video cards, but god do they look dumb.

That looks like.... I dunno... a big black universal remote control?

Fugly.

As for the specs.... Yeah. Ridiculous.

Hauk

Platinum Member
Nov 22, 2001
It's about freakin time a 2GB card comes available!! >:|

Those rumors of one coming available soon after 58xx launch were false, so were the ones saying the dual gpu card would have 2GB per gpu. I kinda figured it would be Fermi time when they'd finally surface.

I can do without the Asus limited edition price tag, but their TOP cards are nice. I had a 4890 TOP, amazing card for the money. I hope XFX and others have more mainstream 2GB versions planned..

Hauk

Platinum Member
Nov 22, 2001

I've been looking for a second GTX 285 Matrix everywhere but that won't matter anymore. Price is no object for me when it's extremely aesthetically pleasing so I'm in for two. Only caveat would be ASUS support regarding limited edition cards. :(

A 285 Matrix? I missed the press release on that one. Ah here it is, look at that beauty! Very nice card there sir. Man it'd be hard to sell that thing..
http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.p...sk=view&id=357&Itemid=72&limit=1&limitstart=3

MarcVenice

Moderator Emeritus <br>
Apr 2, 2007
Do all 5870's use solid state chokes or only certain brands?

Pretty much all higher-end cards use solid state chokes. In fact, most chokes are solid-state for 99%. All this solid state talk is pretty much marketing bullshit.

But, there is a difference in solid state chokes, caps etc, so it can matter. Especially when you're pushing 1,5-1,7V through the gpu (which is possible) and clock it to the moon under LN2. In the past, we managed to get a GTX 285 Matrix to 1100MHz quite easily.

I'm hoping for this Matrix to OC nicely and hit 1400MHz ?

dguy6789

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2002
Main use would be for Crossfire of course. 5870 Crossfire at 2560x1600 with AA and AF runs out of video memory before it runs out of GPU power.

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005
I understand the reason behind enclosures on video cards, but god do they look dumb.

Enclosed cards are good for water cooling junkies so when their junk pees all over the place the expensive cards don't get ruined. ;)

Even the workstation cards we have are enclosed now.

How much is that going to cost? $600? Wouldn't a 5970 be better for the same price?

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
Enclosed cards are good for water cooling junkies so when their junk pees all over the place the expensive cards don't get ruined. ;)

:D

WTF you cracked me up twice today.

I have to say that this is a nice looking card. I wonder if the lit up logo can be modded?

Schmide

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2002

If you give your kitty a golden shower, it's going to fry your card regardless. Me thinks it's for the sub zero cooling fetish.

MrK6

Diamond Member
Aug 9, 2004
Definitely a very nice piece of hardware, but the 5870 is already competitive as a reference design. I mean, a 5870 with some volts and a good water cooling solution can net 1.1GHz core. If this card is just as expensive but doesn't do nearly as well, then it's all just for looks (given that 2GB of vRAM doesn't really show much improvement yet).

Tempered81

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2007
Definitely a very nice piece of hardware, but the 5870 is already competitive as a reference design. I mean, a 5870 with some volts and a good water cooling solution can net 1.1GHz core. If this card is just as expensive but doesn't do nearly as well, then it's all just for looks (given that 2GB of vRAM doesn't really show much improvement yet).

Good point, i agree. Honestly I'm looking forward to msi lightning 5870 overclocking results more than this card (even though asus matrix cards are slick). On the msi I think the 12 phase power will help the core clock way up there.