290X Earns #1 Spot Above Titan in World Records

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
Did anyone like, read the reviews of the card? The card has a temperature "preference" and most reviews are setting it to 95C. Therefore it will always go to 95C at 100% load no matter what the fan setting is. My understanding is, the card will always be AT the temp limit/preference no matter what - apparently nobody actually read reviews to figure that out. Personally, I don't like this system of boost and think GPU boost 2.0 is more elegant, but i'm confused when someone says "but it's 95C". Well of course it's 95C, that's the design of the new boost - it's always at the temp preference at 100% load.
It shoots to max performance for the given temp preference, therefore it will be at 95C regardless of the fan setting. It will output the most performance possible while limiting the temp to 95C, *IF* you set the temp preference to 95C. Oddly enough, reviewers are doing this. I guess nobody read reviews and everyone took 30 seconds to look at the pretty charts and conclusions pages..

To be clear, I don't prefer this method of boost. GPU Boost 2.0 is more elegant for sure. But with the 290X that is the design: the card always operates at the temperature preference 100% of the time, and brings maximum performance while limiting temps to 95C. At 55% fan it will be 95C. At 100% fan it will be 95C. So, again, it's confusing when someone states "but it's 95C". Well no friggin joke. That's the design of AMD's new boost.

Last edited:

Erenhardt

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2012
Did anyone like, read the reviews of the card? The card has a temperature "preference" and most reviews are setting it to 95C. Therefore it will always go to 95C at 100% load no matter what the fan setting is.

Apparently, nobody read reviews to understand that. It shoots to max performance for the given temp preference, therefore it will be at 95C regardless of the fan setting. It will output the most performance possible while limiting the temp to 95C, *IF* you set the temp preference to 95C. Oddly enough, reviewers are doing this. I guess nobody read reviews and everyone took 30 seconds to look at the pretty charts and conclusions pages..

Yep. Temp target is there, and the fan will be sitting low as long as the card is below target temp. Kinda stupid to point the high temps as a flaw in design.

Just like testing 95'C to idle temp cooldown by one reviewer. As soon as temps lowered from target, fan started to slow down. What kind of performance test is that? Shame he didn;t include the chart with smoothness*value/looks(gey?)*loudness ratio :/

tviceman

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2008
www.facebook.com
Did anyone like, read the reviews of the card? The card has a temperature "preference" and most reviews are setting it to 95C. Therefore it will always go to 95C at 100% load no matter what the fan setting is. My understanding is, the card will always be AT the temp limit/preference no matter what - apparently nobody actually read reviews to figure that out. Personally, I don't like this system of boost and think GPU boost 2.0 is more elegant, but i'm confused when someone says "but it's 95C". Well of course it's 95C, that's the design of the new boost - it's always at the temp preference at 100% load.
It shoots to max performance for the given temp preference, therefore it will be at 95C regardless of the fan setting. It will output the most performance possible while limiting the temp to 95C, *IF* you set the temp preference to 95C. Oddly enough, reviewers are doing this. I guess nobody read reviews and everyone took 30 seconds to look at the pretty charts and conclusions pages..

To be clear, I don't prefer this method of boost. GPU Boost 2.0 is more elegant for sure. But with the 290X that is the design: the card always operates at the temperature preference 100% of the time, and brings maximum performance while limiting temps to 95C. At 55% fan it will be 95C. At 100% fan it will be 95C. So, again, it's confusing when someone states "but it's 95C". Well no friggin joke. That's the design of AMD's new boost.

With GPU Boost 2.0 Nvidia gives users a minimum mhz guarantee with their card. With Powertune 2.0 AMD gives a maximum mhz, but no cap on the minimum.

Leadbox

Oct 25, 2010
With GPU Boost 2.0 Nvidia gives users a minimum mhz guarantee with their card. With Powertune 2.0 AMD gives a maximum mhz, but no cap on the minimum.

727Mhz. I have read this figure in a couple of reviews, Anandtech and Hardwarefr

wand3r3r

Diamond Member
May 16, 2008
He also has been posting a graph where they stuck their hand over the exhaust to see the effect without mentioning that's what they did. I don't know if that's the same one he's referring to.

schmuckley

Platinum Member
Aug 18, 2011
I like the crossfire bridges :p

normal_AMD_r9290xoverclockingsmoke-1.jpeg

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I've never been impressed with LN2 benchmark suicide runs. Show me a big score without any cheats at clocks that are fully stable for 24/7 use and then I'll be impressed.