Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

demiurge3141

Nov 13, 2007
Originally posted by: Tweakin
Originally posted by: Idontcare
Originally posted by: vj8usa
Originally posted by: Tweakin
I've just spent a crapload of money to delve into the world of the i7, along with refreshing my old system...and I find myself unhappy.

But I still don't think it is right...my little $200 dually was right!

What were you expecting? I remember your old thread (and your older thread) from when you went to an E8400/E8500 and then Q9650 and didn't see any real improvement.

Seriously, what sort of improvement are you looking for? There isn't some magical setup that will make everything you do happen instantly. Like I said in your earlier thread, everyday computing (launching little apps, bootup time, that sort of thing) will get see a bigger improvement from a quality SSD instead of more CPU/GPU power.

On the other hand, if you do something that will actually benefit from i7's architecture, like rendering or encoding, the difference can be quite noticeable.

+1

Although with all respect I foresee the OP neglecting any and all advice communicated in this thread too (old habits die hard?), and no doubt in about 12 months we'll see yet another thread exclaiming "WTF!? my new $3k 6-core gulftown rig doesn't open my emails any faster than my $200 dualie..."

Epic lulz will ensue then too.

I'm not an english major so I must not be saying things correctly, but you missed the point totally.

I'm a hobbiest...I love building rigs and seeing what they can do. My point was in this project I went farther out there then I have ever done before, sli, water, RAID0 VR's, you saw the list. My final point was that when it was all done, I didn't have the "good job done", or "WOW" factor, or whatever you wish to call it feeling...like I got when I was playing around with my earlier systems.

I had no expectations that it would open Outlook 33% faster, or the Internet would jump to life and amaze me with it's all-knowing power. I expected faster gaming, which is why I tried sli and that was a great improvement, and this was achieved...but that's not the point...now that's it's all done I just don't care, hence I wished I still had my little $200 dualie.

It's the ghetto factor, the warm and fuzzy feeling you get when your push your cheap as dirt system to the extreme. Overclocking lost a lot of its fun when you can just throw unlimited money at your rig. It's like that toy that you skipped lunch a month to buy when you are ten. Nothing is as fun again when you could "just buy it". I don't think any cpu since, quad, 4G+, or whatnot, has bought me more joy than the old E2140 which overclocked 110%.

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005
$190 Celeron 300A at 504 vs. $700 PII 400 back in 1998. Enough said. ;)

%wise 300 at 504 (466 was much more common - 504 was like i7 920 at 4GHz WITH HT ON!) - imagine today taking a 3GHz CPU to 5GHz on AIR! :D