27 EU Leaders Agree on Theresa May's Brexit Withdrawal Deal

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Quite possibly, though while I was still impressed with him his opinion on Brexit early on was that his main priority would be to protect the rights and interests of the workers, which seemed in line with his general aims in politics.
He should have got off his arse and campaigned to stay in. He was so wet on the whole issue.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
He should have got off his arse and campaigned to stay in. He was so wet on the whole issue.

If we're going to talk about 'should', then the referendum promise should never have happened. Cameron wasn't a Leaver but promised a referendum in his election campaign anyway. I probably wasn't paying a lot of attention to Corbyn during the referendum campaign because I think I largely spent the first half being incredulous that anyone was going to believe that shit and the second half being genuinely worried that they would.

Gove's "the public have had enough of experts" should have sunk Brexit in one sitting, but here we are.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
If we're going to talk about 'should', then the referendum promise should never have happened. Cameron wasn't a Leaver but promised a referendum in his election campaign anyway. I probably wasn't paying a lot of attention to Corbyn during the referendum campaign because I think I largely spent the first half being incredulous that anyone was going to believe that shit and the second half being genuinely worried that they would.

Gove's "the public have had enough of experts" should have sunk Brexit in one sitting, but here we are.
The Tories have been waving the possibility of leaving the EU as a carrot to keep their party from fracturing for too long. Eventually they had to do something about it.
You didn't pay much attention to Corbyn re Brexit because hes done his best to remain invisible about it! :D

Its a shame because I agree with a lot of his platform its just that hes not a compromiser and hes very entrenched ideology wise.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Corbyn's both a long-standing leftist, and rather old. The left long opposed the EU, and clearly that's going to be more deeply embedded in a (literally) old leftist. Generation does seem to be a big factor in attitudes to the EU.

I mean in the first referendum all the Tory papers now demanding leave were campaigning to stay in.

This whole thing has been a series of slow-motion car-crashes which all happened to coincide.

Everything came together at the wrong time - idiot public schoolboy dilettantes in charge of the Tory party (mainly interested in continuing ego battles between them), the awful idea that was the Euro, the financial crash, the Syrian refugee crisis, and an old-school leftist, with an old-school-leftist attitude to the EU, finally getting to the top of the Labour Party at what might in some ways be just the wrong moment.

I think maybe if any one of those ingredients had been missing this wouldn't be happening.

Reactions: WelshBloke

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Just in case some political junkies here don't know about it C-SPAN runs a weekly show of the British Prime Minister being questioned before Parliament (one of the best ideas in government IMO). It's one of the best things on TV, and the best comedy out of England since Benny Hill. The upcoming weeks should be quite interesting.

https://www.c-span.org/series/?PrimeMinisterQue