2683v3 with GIGABYTE GA-X99-UD3 - is it possible to overclock?

DBSDBS

May 19, 2019
Hello,

May be there is some info about this combination, but I'm new here.

Every info / help will be helpfull...

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Hello,

May be there is some info about this combination, but I'm new here.

Every info / help will be helpfull...

Extremely limited at best. It's multiplier locked. You may or may not be able to get a little extra by BCLK/bus speed, but that's extremely iffy as to getting much meaningful out of it.

In general it seems the 2xxx lineup is locked MP, and most V3 and above Xeons are almost all locked down.

That's a LOT of cores, what purpose(s) are you looking to use the PC? I'm asking because the thing is still worth a lot of money, but if you don't do encoding/VMs/etc really heavily, and just want faster game and general desktop use, you could sell the thing and find an unlocked 8 core or so, running 8C @ 4.4+ would be way faster for those purposes than any amount of cores @ 2/3Ghz. You could even pocked some of the change, or potentially invest in a better HSF, GPU, SSD, etc.

E5-1680v3 is unlocked 8C/16T. Avg OC is ~4.4Ghz.

Even the older 1680v2 is pretty dope :
(note, you have the newer V3 platform)

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
I am not familiar with all the Xeons, but only some of them are unlocked. Another option is the 5960X, which is also a good 8c overclocker.

DBSDBS

May 19, 2019
Thanks to all....

I use my PC just for a work - primary with CAD / CAM softwares. All of them needs a high frequency at a single core.

I know - I made a mistake taking this CPU, but this is another question.

So, now I try to sell it, but only possible buyers looks for maximum frequency of all cores.

In Cinebench this CPU works @2.5GHz for all cores.

I saw in this forum, that it is possible to run it at 3.1GHz for all cores. I'm sure that this is possible.

Some of you already tried to help me. May be at an another stage but I'll succseed to do the correct BIOS changes, and to unlock the multiplier.

I just want from someone to point me, where to read. I'll make may be many mistakes, but finally I'll do this.

Of course - IF someone can do this for me - he(she) will save me a lot of time and efforts, but no one is obligated to do this for me.

Again - thanks to all.

Best Regards

Denis

abufrejoval

Jun 24, 2017
I have an e5-2696v3 on X99. That one turbos up to 3.8, but very, very rarely: It really is an 2.8GHz all-core CPU with 18 cores instead of 14 and a slightly higher TDP.

Real overclocking is out of the question, because of the multiplier locks.
BCLK overclocking can be done: I have used a 104.8 clock to get mine to 4GHz single core turbo, but went back to normal on a hot day, when it got stuck booting, just because it really wasn't worth on a system that is used productively.

There seems to be an exploitable bug in the original microcode on Haswell Xeons, which allows you to effectively run all cores at max Turbo speed, bypassing the PL1 and PL2 limits. And there are tools and hacks that describe what you have to do in order to back-patch your microcode in the BIOS and keep Windows from updating the microcode on the fly etc. obviously also reverting all the Meltdown/Specte fixes as well as the TSX instruction block...

Patching your CPU microcode and your BIOS isn't for the faint hearted, plenty of things to go wrong. And unless you have a motherboard with A-B BIOS capacities, I woudn't dare go near it. I have dual BIOS but still decided I wasn't about to risk killing one of my major workhorses, when so few actual workloads would have critical benefits.

Because after you have achieved re-inserting the original microcode bug, there is simply the risk that your CPU will fail to work with 3.1 all core turbo, because it wound up in this bin for a reason as a result of validation.

If you need high-frequency and fewer cores, I'd say simply get another CPU.

Search on eBay, sometimes you get lucky. I got my e5-2696v3 for $700, which is probably the best CPU deal I ever made.

Still not watering at the mouth over all these i9 or Ryzen 3, because my Cinebench still trumps them all and for two years running.

Last edited:

DBSDBS

May 19, 2019
At a far lower price I can get i7 8086K - the best choice for me. Even i9 9900k can be find on a lower price.
So, my idea was to check the max possible clock for my setup.

With a very usefull support from @topmisteries5, I got 3.06GHz for all cores constantly, at lower than 73°C temperature.

I'm happy.

Just this setup DO NOT cover requirments of the software, that I use. I need max GHx at a single core.

So - my things are for sale. When they gone, I'll take 8086 or 9900

BR

Last edited:

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
If you're into CAD, I can understand why you want higher clocks. The 8086k might actually be a better chip for you. I think over 90% of them can hit 5.1 GHz, and many can go higher than that.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
At a far lower price I can get i7 8086K - the best choice for me. Even i9 9900k can be find on a lower price.
So, my idea was to check the max possible clock for my setup.

With a very usefull support from @topmisteries5, I got 3.06GHz for all cores constantly, at lower than 73°C temperature.

I'm happy.

Just this setup DO NOT cover requirments of the software, that I use. I need max GHx at a single core.

So - my things are for sale. When they gone, I'll take 8086 or 9900

BR
Well, you might also check the benchmarks on the new 3800x and 3900x. They may only hit 4.8 - 5.0, but they are still faster than a 9900k I think. You need to wait a little bit until benchmarks come out.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
I would like to see Matisse CAD benchmarks. If a 3800x can hit 4.8 GHz then maybe a much-cheaper R5 3600 could do the same. Unfortunately we have no CAD/CAM benchmarks yet, nor do we know about OC headroom. I think it's safe to say that either an 8086k or a Matisse chip would outperform that Xeon in ST applications.