2600Pro Overclocking

bobross419

Golden Member
Oct 25, 2007
I'm currently working on overclocking my 2600Pro and would like to know what a good heat ceiling should be. Right now I have it clocked to 700/550 and I'm reaching a max temp of 51C. I'd like to get a little bit more out of this card if I can, but I don't want to risk damaging components. This is my first try at overclocking and I appreciate any assistance/information that can be provided.

Thanks,
Bob

error8

Diamond Member
Nov 28, 2007
I don't think you can damage that card through heat as long as you don't raise your gpu voltage. 51 C is very cool, as long as you're not hitting 85 C and over, then there is no problem.

bobross419

Golden Member
Oct 25, 2007
Thanks for the quick response. I get the feeling that I'll be getting artifacts long before I hit 85C.

I've read mixed reviews of increasing the PCIE Bus speed above 100 to a max of about 120 to allow for a greater overclock. This would be independent from the actual GPU Voltage, correct?

bobross419

Golden Member
Oct 25, 2007
Originally posted by: BlueAcolyte
Don't Don't Don't raise the PCI-E bus...

Can you please provide specifics as to why I shouldn't do this? Like I mentioned previously, I've seen mixed reviews about upping the PCI-E bus, but I never really see any concrete reasons one way or the other or why the 120 max. Sure, I've seen many folks say "If you raise it you will destroy your GPU", but never really seen a solid explanation as to why this would damage things. Hell, even letting me know that you've tried it and it fried your GPU is better than the vast majority of posts I've seen regarding the PCI-bus.

Thanks for the response though and I look forward to reading your reasonings for suggesting not to up the bus.

error8

Diamond Member
Nov 28, 2007
Originally posted by: bobross419
Thanks for the quick response. I get the feeling that I'll be getting artifacts long before I hit 85C.

I've read mixed reviews of increasing the PCIE Bus speed above 100 to a max of about 120 to allow for a greater overclock. This would be independent from the actual GPU Voltage, correct?

Increasing your pciE bus speed will not affect the voltage, but I don't think it worth the risk for just a couple of extra mhz.