2600K (not overclocked) running very hot on ASUS P8z68-v pro gen 3 MOBO

diamond247

Mar 14, 2012
I recently upgraded my mobo to a ASUS P8Z68-v PRO GEN 3 after my MSI P67 MOBO died. I have a 2600K running at stock speed. The CPU ran fine on the old mother board, but is running very hot on the new one, it idles at 45C measured with real temp and Speccy. I am using the stock heat sink and cooler. I have reseated the cooler several times, using new artic silver 5 thermal paste each time (and cleaning the old thermal paste completely off both the cpu and cooler between each attempt), but i continue to have these very high temps.

Any one have any suggestions? Are they are settings i can use to lower the voltage to the CPU in the BIOS so that it runs within normal temps?

Thanks

postmortemIA

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2006
Does BIOS have enabled silent mode? Which slows down fan as long as CPU temperature is below some threshold? That seems to be case. My CPU temp is rarely less than 50C.

Puppies04

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2011
Any one have any suggestions? Are they are settings i can use to lower the voltage to the CPU in the BIOS so that it runs within normal temps?

Yes there are but you need to find out why your idle temps are that high first.

Does the cpu coolers fan look like it is spinning up properly for a start, and do you have it plugged into the CPU fan header (it says CPU FAN or something similar on the mobo itslef), also have you installed AI suite from your mobo disc. If so try setting a more agressive fan profile, oh and before any of that make 100% sure you are installing the push pins properly, you should be able to see the black pins fully expanding the while split and the cooler should feel secure if you try to wobble it.

Let us know how it goes.

GL :D