2560x1440p/1600p @ 120Hz >>> 4k

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
The point is that some people here have been claiming you need triple Titans or 7990s to game at 4K and that it'll be years before 4K gaming is realistically attainable. And thats blatantly false today, upper tier 20nm cards next year will be handling 4K pretty easily. Once pricing drops on 4K displays, 4K will become the new high end standard for PC gaming. Probably before the end of 2015.

Gonna suck to be a console gamer in 2016, still playing on 900p. :/

Cause they are used to running ultra. Reducing the quality of the image for resolution is not a trade-off I will make. Games looks better at 1440p @ ultra than it does at 4k on medium.

Last edited:

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
Cause they are used to running ultra. Reducing the quality of the image for resolution is not a trade-off I will make. Games looks better at 1440p @ ultra than it does at 4k on medium.

Not convinced by that argument. The highest cost setting in Ultra is generally MSAA- rendering excess pixels and then downscaling. At 4K you could render the same number of pixels, but then actually resolve all of that detail on your display.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Not convinced by that argument. The highest cost setting in Ultra is generally MSAA- rendering excess pixels and then downscaling. At 4K you could render the same number of pixels, but then actually resolve all of that detail on your display.

Even with MSAA off you cannot run Crysis 3 @ 4k with the same framerate I get at 1440p using the hardware I have as an example. Not using all the same settings which is turn everything to the highest value and drop MSAA off. You do need multiple high end cards to do it comfortably. I'm already touching ~30fps minimums at 1440p at times with TXAA or SMAA.

Note: not all games are the equivalent of Crysis 3 in their use of resources. It is just one example and probably the most demanding one I own currently.

Last edited:

Irenicus

Jul 10, 2008
another wrinkle with 4k... how much bandwidth is needed for 120Hz @4k?

does displayport 1.2 / hdmi 2.0 supply enough bandwidth to show 120 fps on 4k monitors?

BrightCandle

Diamond Member
Mar 15, 2007
another wrinkle with 4k... how much bandwidth is needed for 120Hz @4k?

does displayport 1.2 / hdmi 2.0 supply enough bandwidth to show 120 fps on 4k monitors?

Nope it doesn't. I am also hoping we don't stop at 120hz either and that we keep pushing until we get to around 1000hz where the magic really happens. I do think its quite short sighted from a standards perspective to not work on 4k@120hz over existing ports because we already have 120hz monitors and 4k monitors and now its just a question of combining the two.

poohbear

Platinum Member
Mar 11, 2003
It could work very well for the desktop. You can just use 1080p for gaming, and 4k for desktop use. Of course 1080p will work much better when they are true 4k displays, instead of 2 displays stitched together.

With 1440p the text in windows is barely legible, using larger DPI only makes the text more blurry in all other programs. I can only imagine 4k would be an even bigger headache. Gaming @ anything other than native resolution looks really bad, so i dont see that as an option either.