2500k vs 2600k--Who needs 2600k??

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Arkadrel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2010
The question is.... is the 2600k worth the extra 100$ or so pricetag it carries?.

For most people the answear is probably no... theres more value in a 2500k for 200$, than a 2600k for 300$.

Takeing a 2500k and overclocking it to 4.5ghz and... thats more CPU than most need, which makes the extra 100$ for the 2600k not worth it.

T101

Oct 13, 1999
2600K if you do;
1. Video Encoding
2. Virtual Machines
3. Folding
4. Run a lot of software at the same time (heavy multitasking), whilst gaming.

For me it is 1,2 and 4 that made me go with it.

Dadofamunky

Platinum Member
Jan 4, 2005
I had a hard time deciding. Now, I think I would have spent the extra money on the 2600K, but at the time I was more concerned about making sure I had all the other components I wanted within budget. If you run several VMs or encode, as others have said, then the 2600K is much the better option. Otherwise I think it's pretty much a wash, save the fact that a lot of 2600Ks seem to be slightly better overclockers.

I7 owners should have little trouble passing on the new generation and waiting for Ivy.

rgallant

Golden Member
Apr 14, 2007
[[I7 owners should have little trouble passing on the new generation and waiting for Ivy]]

+1

TomBk

May 7, 2011
software that is multi-threaded to take advantage of more than 3 threads.

..video encoding, some audio software are areas where you might see a performance increase with Hyper-Threading over a processor without. Also it is important to understand that Hyper-Threading can be turned off in the Bios.
:awe:
1. What are some popular software titles that are multi-threaded with more than three threads:confused:?

2. Is video encoding what DVDRebuilder does :confused:?

3. Which audio software would that be:confused:? How about Total Recorder:whiste:?

4. When is it preferable to turn off HT:colbert:?

Smartazz

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005
:awe:
1. What are some popular software titles that are multi-threaded with more than three threads:confused:?

2. Is video encoding what DVDRebuilder does :confused:?

3. Which audio software would that be:confused:? How about Total Recorder:whiste:?

4. When is it preferable to turn off HT:colbert:?

1. Some games can use more than 3 cores, but hyperthreading usually doesn't help much and can sometimes hurt performance in games(albeit slightly). There are also loads of benchmarking software like Cinebench that benefit from HT.
2. Yes, DVDRebuilder seems to be a video encoding software.
3. If I'm not mistaken, audio software tends to be single threaded.
4. Sometimes HT can hurt performance in games.

Unless you're doing a lot of encoding, I'd go with the 2500K and save the extra cash and put it toward Ivy Bridge if you want to upgrade to that.