2500k overclock VID Question

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Having read your posts, I've concluded you may in fact be more crazy than I am. ;)

That, and I'm almost jealous.

Well, 50 years ago in high-school the biology teacher had given me the incorrect moniker of "The Mad Russian." But today, it doesn't matter -- I'm retired. As long as I don't do something illegal in public, expose myself, or cause a disturbance, it doesn't matter.

borisvodofsky

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2010
Your overclock is temp limited? You come off as somebody with no fear based on your other postings :)

Yes, I am in-fact temp limited, if you've read enough of my posts you might've read that I am anemic :oops:. So my room has to be kept warm all the time.

When you guys are in a 98F room, you turn on the Air-conditioning.

I only turn on the air-conditioning if it's 105F, and only so it'll cool down to 98F.

It's like I living in India, but in New Jersey

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Yes, I am in-fact temp limited, if you've read enough of my posts you might've read that I am anemic :oops:. So my room has to be kept warm all the time.

When you guys are in a 98F room, you turn on the Air-conditioning.

I only turn on the air-conditioning if it's 105F, and only so it'll cool down to 98F.

It's like I living in India, but in New Jersey

I remember now :(

Have you ever though of having your rig in another room? Possibly rooms with a common wall with the rig in a room with AC such as a window unit.

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
So is it better to decrease the size of the negative offset (move it closer to zero) or decrease the level of llc (from 4.5 to 3 or 2/5) if you get the idle lock up or bsod issue?

On my system I decreased the size of the negative offset since having a slightly higher Vcc under full load was acceptable to me.

borisvodofsky

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2010
I remember now :(

Have you ever though of having your rig in another room? Possibly rooms with a common wall with the rig in a room with AC such as a window unit.

I can't, because of my condition, I have to use the room that's furthest away from the central ac. and it is above the garage, and overlooks the main living room.

I suppose 50' DVI cabling is possible, but the problem is i'm running 25x16, and that gets pretty unreliable around 25' :|

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
My Peak CPUz reading on IBT is 1.355 ;)

My Peak CPUz Prime small ftt is 1.328 :confused:

I'm in the super fantastic safe zone.

That sounds about right, even for 4.8.

New JER-sey?! BO-ris! You folks traded weather with us this year. The other day it was just over 75F something here -- and it's freakin' SO-Cal!

On the tweaking, I had a set of settings for 4.7+. They needed just a bit more voltage. It might possibly bump up my load voltage to what you quote there. I just don't know if I want to disrupt my "golden age" on this bad-boy. . . . I even have a spare set of Ripjaws purchased in January, and haven't yet put them in .. .

borisvodofsky

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2010
That sounds about right, even for 4.8.

New JER-sey?! BO-ris! You folks traded weather with us this year. The other day it was just over 75F something here -- and it's freakin' SO-Cal!

On the tweaking, I had a set of settings for 4.7+. They needed just a bit more voltage. It might possibly bump up my load voltage to what you quote there. I just don't know if I want to disrupt my "golden age" on this bad-boy. . . . I even have a spare set of Ripjaws purchased in January, and haven't yet put them in .. .

I don't even fully utilize the 8gb ram that I have now. Although I don't think i'll be able to run 2133mhz with 16gb. already pushing 39-40ns of memory latency.

There's no golden age on the processor, if it breaks, we're simply back to ramen noodles for a week, and you'll have $150 by the end of it. ^_^

Delicious. ^_^

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
I don't even fully utilize the 8gb ram that I have now. Although I don't think i'll be able to run 2133mhz with 16gb. already pushing 39-40ns of memory latency.

There's no golden age on the processor, if it breaks, we're simply back to ramen noodles for a week, and you'll have $150 by the end of it. ^_^

Delicious. ^_^

A little cayenne . . . some teriyaki beef . . . . maybe a bouillon cube with less salt in it. Some green onion. I don't like unexpected budgetary changes, but losing data, comfort and familiarity with a crisis of hardware fidgets . . . that costs a lot more. If it's just the processor, then I'll only have to call the cable provider and reinitialize my cable-card. With Windows. It's the motherboard changeout that prompts a customer-service call to MS as you secretly worry whether they'll buy your excuse and give you another Product Key for a new activation of your OEM install.

Do you hear much of people burning out their Sandies? From sensible veterans? I haven't.

My core temperatures are all below 73c under "high" IBT load, and I can squeeze a bit more out of this. Sucker is just working so well, I'm not eager to shut it down or go into BIOS and fiddle more with it.

borisvodofsky

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2010
A little cayenne . . . some teriyaki beef . . . . maybe a bouillon cube with less salt in it. Some green onion. I don't like unexpected budgetary changes, but losing data, comfort and familiarity with a crisis of hardware fidgets . . . that costs a lot more. If it's just the processor, then I'll only have to call the cable provider and reinitialize my cable-card. With Windows. It's the motherboard changeout that prompts a customer-service call to MS as you secretly worry whether they'll buy your excuse and give you another Product Key for a new activation of your OEM install.

Do you hear much of people burning out their Sandies? From sensible veterans? I haven't.

My core temperatures are all below 73c under "high" IBT load, and I can squeeze a bit more out of this. Sucker is just working so well, I'm not eager to shut it down or go into BIOS and fiddle more with it.

the only people that have burned sandys are the people who were pushing 1.5 uncore voltages, so at peak they were doing around 1.55.

they say 1.45 is also dangerous, but that's really only because with 1.45 you need extra high (level 4) or extreme (level 5) load line calibration.

--this puts peak voltage around 1.5 -- 1.55 again. So that seems to be where the problem is coming from.

heat is a none issue below 80C, as long as you don't do any 24/7 stuff.. :p

In my 98F room, my 4.8ghz hits 86C on IBT, 88 on IBT extreme mode

Last edited:

zubbs1

May 7, 2011
The calculated offset value was -0.165v, but it would lock up in the bios or boot loop. I decreased it to -0.150 and it got a bsod error at windows startup. I decreased it to -0.140v and it loaded in windows. I blend tested for about 7 hours and it did fine. I am now just waiting in anticipation of a low volt at idle lockup or bsod.

Is it just a waiting game now, or is there anything else to do? Here is a cpu-z of my setup at idle with no load.

CPUZlowvoltage.png

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
the only people that have burned sandys are the people who were pushing 1.5 uncore voltages, so at peak they were doing around 1.55.

they say 1.45 is also dangerous, but that's really only because with 1.45 you need extra high (level 4) or extreme (level 5) load line calibration.

--this puts peak voltage around 1.5 -- 1.55 again. So that seems to be where the problem is coming from.

heat is a none issue below 80C, as long as you don't do any 24/7 stuff.. :p

In my 98F room, my 4.8ghz hits 86C on IBT, 88 on IBT extreme mode

Zubbs and maybe another had noted the low-power-state or idle-voltage problem with choosing negative offsets. My offset is positive, and the EIST idle voltage is always precisely 1.008V -- slightly above the range reported pertaining to unstressed crashing or BSOD. At one point, I think I was just over 0.88V to 0.98 during the OC'ing ordeal.

I'm not an engineer. I do understand industrial or applied statistics, and I have a good idea as to how specs are set by manufacturers after sampling and testing, or how that might be related to warranty policies of the firms.

Users and enthusiasts don't get the testing results and full statistical frequency distributions from the manufacturers; they get "specifications." So you have to just imagine frequency distributions around those specs. That's how we might conclude that a "5% overage above a maximum safe voltage" is not a big deal. But it's also why -- once I obtain stable settings -- I may drop my load speed setting back 50 Mhz, or raise the offset just a notch before calling it quits.

That sort of approach still depends on "specs" -- if any adequate specs are actually published -- which may be meant to assure that any RMA of product over a warranty period would occur for less than 1% (or some small %) of product sold -- ultimately a matter of cost-accounting. Such specs are likely therefore to be very, very conservative.

But one has to choose either an overly-cautious awareness of these things, or lean toward "uncharted territory." Even so, we agree -- we've only seen "CPU-death" from some small number of people who had gone beyond "uncharted territory."

It all boils down to "what you know," "what information is available," and an awareness of "what you don't know -- but only guess." Knowing, deducing, suspecting . . . guessing, and believing are all different things. Belief may be equivalent to "Knowing" in religious matters, but it isn't the same at all in real-world, practical things.