25 years for stealing cars seems like a lot.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003

I wonder if some powerful government types live in those neighborhoods....
No seriously, thats a joke considering politicians who have committed serious crimes get next to nothing, not to mention prominent corporate execs. We need to eliminate the multi-tiered justice system in America. But the people in charge like it that way, and we're all too stupid and fearful to vote them out.

Reactions: uclaLabrat

Lezunto

Golden Member
Oct 24, 2020
We will never get this done as long as we have large numbers of folks on the Left breaking off and voting for Right Wing candidates. Or worse, attacking similar minded folks who want to help, but wish to remain united as Democrats.

Unity is Strength.

Reactions: hal2kilo and Zorba

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I'm thinking that the reason for most car theft committed that's not for joy riding is done for the money. With lots of money you can have a pretty decent life but if you don't have it you're are fucked. Perhaps we should look into that issue.

Reactions: Captante

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
We will never get this done as long as we have large numbers of folks on the Left breaking off and voting for Right Wing candidates. Or worse, attacking similar minded folks who want to help, but wish to remain united as Democrats.

Unity is Strength.

Never get _what_ done? What does this have to do with the OP?

Not really surprised the 'ringleader' got a long sentence. He _was_ the 'ringleader' after all, and it sounds like it was on quite an industrial scale. There are probably other cases where complaints about excessive sentences would be more usefully deployed.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008

Unity is Strength.

Also, could more justifiably say "We will never get this done as long as we have large numbers of folks in the Centre putting all their efforts into attacking the left. Or worse, adopting right-wing policies."

It's funny how unity is only ever 'strength' when it means the left propping up the centre and the interests the centrists represent. Never works the other way.

amenx

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2004
From article:
"This is not the first time the defendant was involved in orchestrating motor vehicle thefts. In 2019, as an adult, the defendant was charged for four separate incidents involving theft, motor vehicle theft, and rogue and vagabond in Chevy Chase, MD. As a result, the defendant was placed on probation in January 2020 (C.R. #135619C) after being convicted of motor vehicle theft as an adult. Only a few weeks after being placed on probation, the defendant violated his probation by engaging in these additional motor vehicle thefts and burglaries." according to a sentencing memo from the State's Attorney's Office.

I guess 3 strikes, no more leniency.

Reactions: pcgeek11

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
25 years isn't nearly enough for car theft...or robvery, or burglarly, or rape, or assault.

Time to expand the use of the death penalty.

Or we could do something about the drivers of crime. Nope let’s just do a bunch of state sanctioned homicides instead. You’re a sick person get some help.

Reactions: Tsinni Dave

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
DEFINITELY. Criminals who show they can't/won't be rehabilitated should be removed permanently. Why should people have to tolerate being robbed, burgled, or even murdered...then be forced to pay (via taxes) to house, feed, and support them, often including expensive medical costs?
Fuck that.
First time non-violent offender? Sure...show some leniency, but after a while...

(and this coming from someone with a fairly lengthy felony record)

Reactions: Leeea

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
DEFINITELY. Criminals who show they can't/won't be rehabilitated should be removed permanently. Why should people have to tolerate being robbed, burgled, or even murdered...then be forced to pay (via taxes) to house, feed, and support them, often including expensive medical costs?
Fuck that.
First time non-violent offender? Sure...show some leniency, but after a while...

(and this coming from someone with a fairly lengthy felony record)

Its just stuff.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
25 years isn't nearly enough for car theft...or robvery, or burglarly, or rape, or assault.

You forgot the most important one, random vandalism. At least theft benefits the thief, vandalism is just destruction.

Reactions: Leeea

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
I am not sure about the sarcasm again?

Anyway, these super harsh sentences demonstrates a staggering lack of insight into one self. You must surely realize that one of the most defining features of mankind is that he is fallible. He is gonna fuck up, fuck up some more and then fuck up again. If your frame of society is not of a fabric that bounces people back from these fuckups, then sir, you have not really understood WHO OR WHAT YOU ARE.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
But it's MY stuff.

Why is it your stuff? What are the rules that determines that your stuff is in fact yours, and where do these rules come from? Anyway, the burglar better pack a gun and shoot you dead when he decides to rob your stuff. The sentence is that same anyway, less chance of getting caught with no witnesses and no need to wait till you not home.
Just pop pop .. and take your stuff. Good bye stuff.

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
disagree.

It depends on the motive, context, and the number of offenses.

agreed, by why?

repeat criminal - this guy will never contribute to society
organized criminal - this guy has made it his business to destroy society
motive - this man is not doing it to eat, take care of his kids, or any of that. His motivation is simply to get richer then he already is.

After appropriate due process, the death* penalty is appropriate in this case.

*although tomorrow I will probably wake up on the other side of the bed and argue life in prison vs the death penalty

But it's MY stuff.
Absolutely.

Why is it your stuff?
Because without personal property ownership society breaks down and ceases to function. Without ownership, there is no responsibility. No motivation to make tomorrow a better place. No reason to plan for the future.

Last edited:

Tsinni Dave

Mar 1, 2022
Many Native Americans would argue you're on their land.
Anyone here familiar with Potlatch culture and the idea that your status in the group is determined by what you give away, not by what you have? I highly recommend going if you're ever invited. Bring cushions or mats because you may be there for much longer than you thought, and share them with kids and older people. The food is excellent, the entertainment is great and the music will rock your soul. But talking during a speech or leaving before the "end" (subject to change without notice as more dance groups arrive etc.) is disrespectful, so be flexible.

I can see why it was suppressed for generations, now that I think about it.

Reactions: [DHT]Osiris

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Anyone here familiar with Potlatch culture and the idea that your status in the group is determined by what you give away, not by what you have? I highly recommend going if you're ever invited. Bring cushions or mats because you may be there for much longer than you thought, and share them with kids and older people. The food is excellent, the entertainment is great and the music will rock your soul. But talking during a speech or leaving before the "end" (subject to change without notice as more dance groups arrive etc.) is disrespectful, so be flexible.

I can see why it was suppressed for generations, now that I think about it.
I'd assume of course that the giving part wasn't compulsory, subject to death as the alternative.

Reactions: Tsinni Dave