25 years for stealing cars seems like a lot.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
DEFINITELY. Criminals who show they can't/won't be rehabilitated should be removed permanently. Why should people have to tolerate being robbed, burgled, or even murdered...then be forced to pay (via taxes) to house, feed, and support them, often including expensive medical costs?
Fuck that.
First time non-violent offender? Sure...show some leniency, but after a while...

(and this coming from someone with a fairly lengthy felony record)

I simply don't trust the state with the power of life and death over its citizens.

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
Epstein’s accomplice only got 20 years, she stole lives
The "justice" system is deeply unfair, unjust, racist, and biased toward the rich.

Those are separate issues that need to be addressed.

Viper1j

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2018

I wonder if some powerful government types live in those neighborhoods....
No seriously, thats a joke considering politicians who have committed serious crimes get next to nothing, not to mention prominent corporate execs. We need to eliminate the multi-tiered justice system in America. But the people in charge like it that way, and we're all too stupid and fearful to vote them out.

Somebody watched Gone In Sixty Seconds one too many times.

Viper1j

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2018
25 years isn't nearly enough for car theft...or robvery, or burglarly, or rape, or assault.

Time to expand the use of the death penalty.

Well, it's an historically accurate statement.

They used to hang people for being a horse thief, cars are the modern-day equivalent. The primary mode of transportation, so...

Elmo-shrug.gif

Reactions: Leeea

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
disagree.

It depends on the motive, context, and the number of offenses.

agreed, by why?

repeat criminal - this guy will never contribute to society
organized criminal - this guy has made it his business to destroy society
motive - this man is not doing it to eat, take care of his kids, or any of that. His motivation is simply to get richer then he already is.

After appropriate due process, the death* penalty is appropriate in this case.

*although tomorrow I will probably wake up on the other side of the bed and argue life in prison vs the death penalty

Absolutely.

Because without personal property ownership society breaks down and ceases to function. Without ownership, there is no responsibility. No motivation to make tomorrow a better place. No reason to plan for the future.
Everything you own is created on the backs of others. Dump anyone in a diaper in the woods and let me show you someone that will never walk out of those trees with three houses five cars a wife and three girlfriends.
Everything you got, is created on the back of someone slaving for you. Today its in the abstract, no physical chains, sure, the modern leach is way more effective “global economy”, a free for all market with opportunities for all… with geopolitical power. Anyway. I am sidestepping. Also not saying there is a better way, but lets be real.
Crime is a product of society. Period. Cant have civilized today without crime. So to minimize crime… you wanna kill some motherfuckers. Ok. You know this doesnt lower crime levels so rationale must then be that for this society we’ve created there is a tap at the bottom of the barrel that is always open and pours out the undesirables… at a constant rate.
That reminds me of system racism for a reason… hmmm

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
That reminds me of system racism for a reason
All of the theft I have had to deal with is theft by white people. Since I am also white, I doubt racism is a motivating factor.

Everyone has some bs excuse. Most think it is not a very big deal. Some think it is cute.

After appropriate due process, they should be taken out behind the court house, have a bullet put in their head, and bill their family for disposal and cleanup.

First offense? Yea, slap on the wrist.
Tenth offense? May their soul burn in hell for eternity.

Last edited:

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
All of the theft I have had to deal with is theft by white people. Since I am also white, I doubt racism is a motivating factor.

Everyone has some bs excuse. Most think it is not a very big deal. Some think it is cute.

After appropriate due process, they should be taken out behind the court house, have a bullet put in their head, and bill their family for disposal and cleanup.

First offense? Yea, slap on the wrist.
Tenth offense? May their soul burn in hell for eternity.
And that is at the core of it is it not? Quality. Quantity.
Quality: Motherfuckers that rob me needs to die.
Quantity: We need to construct at society that doesnt produce as many career criminals.
Difference between being objective and subjective.
I'd argue that if one cant attain an objective state of mind this person should probably be recused... Isnt that how its supposed to work? :).

Tsinni Dave

Mar 1, 2022
So you're suggesting that the "Gone in 60 Seconds" movies aren't aspirational? Another career option bites the dust.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Meanwhile go look at the crimes committed by Paul Manafort. Look at his sentences and he got a full pardon. Republicans only care about the crime when the perps don't look like them.

Paul Manafort - Wikipedia

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
This isn't a joyrider stealing a car, but organized crime.

That seems to be the case. Honestly, 25 years for this does not sound exceptional to me, by the standards of US sentences (which are far, far longer than here, for most things). The US is a giant prison system with an economy attached to it. It's only by locking up a large proportion of the population that the system can keep going. Probably the same as with China.

And in this case, it sounds like this was a gang boss, not a petty car-thief. Of course that probably describes Trump also, but there are clearly different classes of 'gang boss'. My impression is the ruling elites half-admire successful gangsters. They probably see them as having the 'entrepreneurial spirit'. The logic seems to be that 'at least they aren't on welfare'.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Meanwhile go look at the crimes committed by Paul Manafort. Look at his sentences and he got a full pardon. Republicans only care about the crime when the perps don't look like them.

Paul Manafort - Wikipedia

To be fair, that, to me, seems to be more specifically about the sheer weirdness of the system of pardons, that can be awarded on the whim of an individual President. He got it not purely because he was white, but because he was a pal and helper of Trump. True, given Trump's racism it's hard to imagine a black guy in that role, and getting that pay-off, but not 100% impossible.