"25 games you must finish before you die"

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Munky

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2005
9,372
0
76
Originally posted by: skyofavalon
Putting Bioshock on there was a horrible call,but he redeemed himself by putting Mike Tysons Punchout #1.

I disagree. Bioshock was one of the more enjoyable games I played last year.
 

pwnagesarus

Senior member
Apr 9, 2007
421
0
0
Originally posted by: irishScott
since when is GTA III "The Birth of the Sandbox Genre"?

After GTA III came out, more and more of these sandbox games which were very similar to GTA started popping up.
 

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
4,488
152
106
I would love to finish Castlevania at some point. Since my NES doesn't seem to work anymore, it is not very likely though. I will try to hook it up again tonight when I get home and give it a whirl. I could never get past Frankenstein and Igor when I was a kid.
 

polarmystery

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2005
3,907
8
81
Originally posted by: Finalnight
Descent II
Freespace I
Freespace II
Jedi Knight
Final Fantasy VIII
Baldur's Gate II
Halo 3
Knights of the Old Republic
Deus Ex
Warcraft III
World of Warcraft
Sim City II

:confused:

Oh and FFVIII = Fail. VII yes, VIII no.
 

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
6,770
789
126
My list of 25 pc games people should play

Ultima Underworld series
Ultima 7
Doom series
Thief
Baldurs Gate series
Planescape Torment
Half Life series
Fallout series
Freespace series
Civilization series
Knights of the Old Republic
Sim City 2
Unreal Tournament 99
Deus Ex
Max Payne series

There's probably 25 in there.
 

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001
12,248
3
0
There are many games I would agree with, but I have trouble taking it serious when KOTOR is left out...that game's story alone puts the any of the movies to shame.
 

ibex333

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2005
4,092
123
106
Originally posted by: DaveSimmons
Needs more Black Isle and Bioware: Baldur's Gate II / ToB, SW:KOTOR, Planescape: Torment. I'd put Vampire TM: Bloodlines on too if it was a PC-only list.

Agreed.
 

CoinOperatedBoy

Golden Member
Dec 11, 2008
1,809
0
76
Fallout
Planescape: Torment
Deus Ex
System Shock 2
Starcraft
Diablo II
Doom
Civilization
Baldur's Gate II
Grim Fandango
Knights of the Old Republic
Sim City 2000
Portal
Half-Life
Super Mario Bros. 3
Contra
Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Super Metroid
Chrono Trigger
Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy Tactics
Metal Gear Solid
God of War II
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
Grand Theft Auto III
 

Marty502

Senior member
Aug 25, 2007
497
0
0
Originally posted by: CoinOperatedBoy
Fallout
Planescape: Torment
Deus Ex
System Shock 2
Starcraft
Diablo II
Doom
Civilization
Baldur's Gate II
Grim Fandango
Knights of the Old Republic
Sim City 2000
Portal
Half-Life
Super Mario Bros. 3
Contra
Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Super Metroid
Chrono Trigger
Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy Tactics
Metal Gear Solid
God of War II
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
Grand Theft Auto III

Now that's a really good list. I'm not sure you could ever positively end Contra though...
That game was one tough SOB!
 

Fullmetal Chocobo

Moderator<br>Distributed Computing
Moderator
May 13, 2003
13,704
7
81
:( No "Giants: Citizen Kabuto". Atleast the new list had FF7 on it. Tony Hawk 2 I could agree with. But fucking Guitar Hero? Fucking seriously?
 

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
4,488
152
106
Originally posted by: AdamK47
These countdown lists are a sham. Mike Tyson's Punch Out at #1?... right.... Could that have anything to do with the Wii Punch Out game coming out?

I know that I felt a huge ammount of accomplishment the first time I beat Mike Tyson's Punchout. Took probably 100 fights against Mike tyson getting the timeing down to dodge all his punches, but I was finally able to do it.

The only other game that I remember feeling that much elation beating was Mega Man 2. It was another game that I couldn't beat my first go through, and came back months later to try again and finally beat.
 

CoinOperatedBoy

Golden Member
Dec 11, 2008
1,809
0
76
Originally posted by: Martimus
The only other game that I remember feeling that much elation beating was Mega Man 2. It was another game that I couldn't beat my first go through, and came back months later to try again and finally beat.

Definitely avoid Mega Man 1... That game nearly made me break the controller.
 

Sam25

Golden Member
Mar 29, 2008
1,717
28
91
Originally posted by: StinkyPinky
My list of 25 pc games people should play

Ultima Underworld series
Ultima 7
Doom series
Thief
Baldurs Gate series
Planescape Torment
Half Life series
Fallout series
Freespace series
Civilization series
Knights of the Old Republic
Sim City 2
Unreal Tournament 99
Deus Ex
Max Payne series

There's probably 25 in there.

That's a much better list. Many of my favorite games in there.
 

AtaruMoroboshi18

Senior member
Apr 1, 2005
552
1
81
What? No System Shock 2? That's absurd, anyone whos played System Shock 2 knows how absolutely incredible it was and does deserve wholeheartedly to be on a must finish list...I've beaten it 7 or 8 times before and I STILL find new things when I play it.
 

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
7,535
2,748
136
Originally posted by: shortylickens
Originally posted by: Maximilian
Originally posted by: videogames101
GTA3 was not the "birth of the sandbox genre"

That comment right there tells me the author is an idiot.

The list sucks because theres no starcraft, but GTA 3 was pretty much the birth of the sandbox genre. Just like dune II is considered the birth of RTS, despite there being RTS games before it, it was the first really good one, that applies to GTA 3.
I suppose that argument could work.
Doom was not the 1st FPS, but it was the first to be insanely huge and got the whole PC gaming movement started.

Unfortunately, it doesn't work with Portal. I've never played Portal so I don't know if it's good or not, but to say "The world's first FPP (first-person puzzler)." kinda leaves out this little game called MYST.
 

nyker96

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
5,630
2
81
I don't think bioshock of must play, but I think god of war is. he also missed a few classics like pacman, tetris.
 

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
82,854
17,365
136
Originally posted by: sactoking
Originally posted by: shortylickens
Originally posted by: Maximilian
Originally posted by: videogames101
GTA3 was not the "birth of the sandbox genre"

That comment right there tells me the author is an idiot.

The list sucks because theres no starcraft, but GTA 3 was pretty much the birth of the sandbox genre. Just like dune II is considered the birth of RTS, despite there being RTS games before it, it was the first really good one, that applies to GTA 3.
I suppose that argument could work.
Doom was not the 1st FPS, but it was the first to be insanely huge and got the whole PC gaming movement started.
Unfortunately, it doesn't work with Portal. I've never played Portal so I don't know if it's good or not, but to say "The world's first FPP (first-person puzzler)." kinda leaves out this little game called MYST.
The problem with that is Portal is absolutely nothing like Myst. They were both very fun and innovative and the gaming industry certainly needed them, but they are not the same at all, other than you need to use your brain to beat them.
And that characteristic only seems special because so few games these days require thinking.
 

CoinOperatedBoy

Golden Member
Dec 11, 2008
1,809
0
76
Originally posted by: nyker96
I don't think bioshock of must play, but I think god of war is. he also missed a few classics like pacman, tetris.

The title of the list is "25 games you must finish before you die". Tetris and Pacman are nigh-unbeatable. Pacman has a garbage level, while the original Tetris you can never actually beat.
 

CurseTheSky

Diamond Member
Oct 21, 2006
5,401
2
0
Originally posted by: CoinOperatedBoy
Fallout
Planescape: Torment
Deus Ex
System Shock 2
Starcraft
Diablo II
Doom
Civilization
Baldur's Gate II
Grim Fandango
Knights of the Old Republic
Sim City 2000
Portal
Half-Life
Super Mario Bros. 3
Contra
Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Super Metroid
Chrono Trigger
Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy Tactics
Metal Gear Solid
God of War II
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
Grand Theft Auto III

Forgot about that one - I loved that game.

 

Sunner

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
11,641
0
76
The list of a console lover obviously.

Some games that definitely belongs on that list compared to a lot of the crap he put there:

Elite II - Frontier
Civilization 1 and/or 2
StarCraft(Seriously, how can this not be on that list? I guess he only plays point and shoot type games judging by the games on the list).
Cannon Fodder
Syndicate
Flashback and/or Another World
Myst
Prince of Persia
Dune 2
FreeSpace 1 and/or 2, preferably both since the story ties them together.
Lemmings, the Tribes
Jagged Alliance 2
UFO: Enemy Unknown and/or X-Com: TFTD
Wonder Boy: Dragon's Trap
 

CoinOperatedBoy

Golden Member
Dec 11, 2008
1,809
0
76
Originally posted by: CurseTheSky
Originally posted by: CoinOperatedBoy
Fallout
Planescape: Torment
Deus Ex
System Shock 2
Starcraft
Diablo II
Doom
Civilization
Baldur's Gate II
Grim Fandango
Knights of the Old Republic
Sim City 2000
Portal
Half-Life
Super Mario Bros. 3
Contra
Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Super Metroid
Chrono Trigger
Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy Tactics
Metal Gear Solid
God of War II
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
Grand Theft Auto III

Forgot about that one - I loved that game.

I had a good feeling!

This is the way!