"25 games you must finish before you die"

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
That's his list, not ours, it's entirely subjective, it's not a "fail" list. I for one simply disagree with that list, there's only five games on his list which I find worthy to be there under such a context (presuming one would have to finish specific games before dying). In the end we will all disagree, we all have our tastes don't we.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Lonyo
Well that list automatically sucks because Bioshock is on it.

Since the title is about games you must FINISH before you die, and the ending/final third of Bioshock was absolutely terrible, the list loses any pretense of being worthwhile it may have had.

you claim the list sucks because of bioshock? lol...the list sucks because 2/3s of it is shit

MustangSVT

Lifer
Oct 7, 2000
pretty good list.

ppl who are crying, come up with your own top 25. I'm sure someone will hate it too.

GaryJohnson

Jun 2, 2006
No Deus Ex AND no System Shock 2. This list must be sarcastic or something. Some kinda wacky, silly, joke list.

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
Originally posted by: shortylickens

I wont argue about Symphony of the Night, the problem is its often expensive. I see copies on Amazon for as much as 80 dollars.

You can get it on the xbox 360 for 800 Microsoft points.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Originally posted by: Via
What a wierd list.

Fallout but no Civ? No turn-based or RTS at all? What about games like Homeworld?

Two Mario games? No infinity engine games? No Elder scrolls? I could go on like this for hours if I really wanted to.

That being said - I'm glad to see advance wars on it. That was such a great game.
Most of the game you listed need to be played, but not beaten.

And theres an assload of people who think all the Elder Scrolls games suck ass. They are only required playing if you are into wide open RPG's, and not everyone is. Also, there is no real requirement to finish any of them even if you are a huge fan.

I do believe that the Baldurs Gate saga needs to be played AND finished. But again thats only for a certain type of person who likes a certain style of role-playing game. They are not for everyone.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Raduque

I wont argue about Symphony of the Night, the problem is its often expensive. I see copies on Amazon for as much as 80 dollars.

You can get it on the xbox 360 for 800 Microsoft points.

it's on PSN too, for like 9.99 I think.

Via

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2009
What a wierd list.

Fallout but no Civ? No turn-based or RTS at all? What about games like Homeworld?

Two Mario games? No infinity engine games? No Elder scrolls? I could go on like this for hours if I really wanted to.

That being said - I'm glad to see advance wars on it. That was such a great game.
Most of the game you listed need to be played, but not beaten.

And theres an assload of people who think all the Elder Scrolls games suck ass. They are only required playing if you are into wide open RPG's, and not everyone is. Also, there is no real requirement to finish any of them even if you are a huge fan.

I do believe that the Baldurs Gate saga needs to be played AND finished. But again thats only for a certain type of person who likes a certain style of role-playing game. They are not for everyone.

How do you "beat" Tony Hawk or Guitar hero?

And isn't GTA 3 a pretty wide open game, in the mold of TES?

Homeworld has a great story.

Piuc2020

Golden Member
Nov 4, 2005
People are taking the semantics of the word "finish" way too seriously, the list just means to say games that you need to play enough time to soak in all they have to offer, they don't mean you have to finish them because the ending is awesome; Mario Bros has a sucky ending (well, no ending) and I don't see anyone like Lonyo complaining it shouldn't be on a "must finish" list.

A Casual Fitz

Diamond Member
May 16, 2005
Putting any Guitar Hero on a top 25 list throw all credibility straight out the window. Come on.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
How do you "beat" Tony Hawk or Guitar hero?

And isn't GTA 3 a pretty wide open game, in the mold of TES?

Homeworld has a great story.
Tony Hawk and Guitar hero are not even must-play games.
GTA 3 isnt a must-beat but I suppose it could be a must-play. And it is not like The Elder Scrolls or even in the same mold. Just because a game is open doesnt mean its an Elder Scrolls Clone.
Homeworld is excellent and I agree, a must-finish.

coloumb

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
That list is subjective and would be different depending upon who you ask. half of the games on the list I wouldn't even consider playing [most of them are console games] while there are a lot of games not on the list which *I* think people SHOULD finish [play the game all the way to the end] before they die.

Finalnight

Golden Member
Mar 5, 2003
Descent II
Freespace I
Freespace II
Jedi Knight
Final Fantasy VIII
Baldur's Gate II
Halo 3
Knights of the Old Republic
Deus Ex
Warcraft III
World of Warcraft
Sim City II

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Originally posted by: irishScott
Where's System Shock 2? And since when is GTA III "The Birth of the Sandbox Genre"?

You wouldn't put GTA3 as one of the greatest games of all time? I would and I'm sure many other would as well. It was too revolutionary to not put it.

acheron

Diamond Member
May 27, 2008
I thought it was crap, the only GTA worth anything was the original top-down one. Others may disagree, of course. :p

videogames101

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2005
GTA3 was not the "birth of the sandbox genre"

That comment right there tells me the author is an idiot.

MustangSVT

Lifer
Oct 7, 2000
here's my list :p

Street Fighter 2
Gran Turismo
Baldurs Gate
Xwing
Bomberman
Final Fantasy 6
King of Fighters
Castlevania Symphony of the night
StarCraft
Counter Strike
Ogre battle
Armored Core
Mech Warrior
Tetris
Super Puyopuyo
Diablo
Elderscrolls:morrowind
Sexy Beach 3
Act Raiser

CurseTheSky

Diamond Member
Oct 21, 2006
Out of their list, I agreed with:

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Chrono Trigger
Final Fantasy VI
Portal
Half-Life

The rest of them I either haven't played, or didn't agree with. The ones I listed hit spot-on though, especially A Link to the Past.

I'm disappointed though... no Diablo / Diablo 2? No Starcraft / Warcraft II? No Command & Conquer / Red Alert? I would have expected at LEAST one of those titles on that list (though admittedly, games like Starcraft were best for their online play).

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
Originally posted by: videogames101

The list sucks because theres no starcraft, but GTA 3 was pretty much the birth of the sandbox genre. Just like dune II is considered the birth of RTS, despite there being RTS games before it, it was the first really good one, that applies to GTA 3.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Originally posted by: Maximilian
Originally posted by: videogames101

The list sucks because theres no starcraft, but GTA 3 was pretty much the birth of the sandbox genre. Just like dune II is considered the birth of RTS, despite there being RTS games before it, it was the first really good one, that applies to GTA 3.
I suppose that argument could work.
Doom was not the 1st FPS, but it was the first to be insanely huge and got the whole PC gaming movement started.

Absolution75

Dec 3, 2007
Originally posted by: Finalnight
Descent II
Freespace I
Freespace II
Jedi Knight
Final Fantasy VIII
Baldur's Gate II
Halo 3
Knights of the Old Republic
Deus Ex
Warcraft III
World of Warcraft
Sim City II

JediKnight is such an underrated game. For its time - it was very revolutionary (and fairly long).

Must play (and finish):
JediKnight
Mass Effect
MGS1
KOTOR I
Twisted Metal II (PS One, just for pure fun).
Half-Life
Half-Life 2
Half-Life: Episode 2
Portal
Max Payne 1

It is unfortunate that I never had anything before a PS1.

KeypoX

Diamond Member
Aug 31, 2003
Originally posted by: Sam25
GTA III... I've played that game just so many, many, many times!! :)

I wonder why Max Payne didn't make it to the list?

lol because its one guys opinion of his favorite games... i like many of them. Some i couldnt get into though.