"25 games you must finish before you die"

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
Well that list automatically sucks because Bioshock is on it.

Since the title is about games you must FINISH before you die, and the ending/final third of Bioshock was absolutely terrible, the list loses any pretense of being worthwhile it may have had.

skyofavalon

Jul 11, 2007
Putting Bioshock on there was a horrible call,but he redeemed himself by putting Mike Tysons Punchout #1.

Piuc2020

Golden Member
Nov 4, 2005
Originally posted by: Lonyo

Since the title is about games you must FINISH before you die, and the ending/final third of Bioshock was absolutely terrible, the list loses any pretense of being worthwhile it may have had.

That's ridiculous and childish :roll:

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Needs more Black Isle and Bioware: Baldur's Gate II / ToB, SW:KOTOR, Planescape: Torment. I'd put Vampire TM: Bloodlines on too if it was a PC-only list.

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
Originally posted by: Piuc2020
Originally posted by: Lonyo

That's ridiculous and childish :roll:

You think setting up a story and then destroying the whole basis for it in the final part makes it a game you must finish?

"The first 2/3rds of this game you have been subconsciously following orders from this bloke and we made it part of the game, which was pretty clever. Now we've told you this twist, and now we're going to get you to follow the orders of this woman, and you don't have any choice in the matter, and then we'll have a silly boss fight at the end".

Most of Bioshock was great. It had atmosphere, it had a nice story, and even the twist was good. What happened after the twist, the ending bit that you have to go through to finish the game, was terrible and went totally against everything which had come before it. That makes Bioshock a game which you shouldn't have to finish unless you are doing a class where you criticise pieces of fiction. It spoilt everything which had come before by tearing it all apart.

Putting such a game on a list of 25 games which you must FINISH before you die makes the list crazy, especially if you put it at number 9. If it had been a list of 25 games to PLAY before you die, then I might be able to accept it, especially as an example of an almost perfect story driven game, but as it is, it just doesn't fit on the list and devalues the list.

Sam25

Golden Member
Mar 29, 2008
GTA III... I've played that game just so many, many, many times!! :)

I wonder why Max Payne didn't make it to the list?

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
There is only 1 game i *must* finish before i die
- The game of "life"

rose.gif

i can skip the rest .. they are optional

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
Originally posted by: apoppin
- The game of "life"

rose.gif

Same here, im stuck at the out of uni and need to get a good job part... theres nothing on gameFAQ's and cheats are hard to find for this game :frown: Incredible graphics though!

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Bioshock is not even a "must-play" game. And certainly not a "must-finish".
Am glad the top of the list was PC heavy though. When the first thing I saw a skateboarding game I cringed and thought it was yet another ignorant fools list of top games that arent top and arent even good games.

Zelda 3 and Super Metroid are definately required. Nothing on the N64 is required playing, not even Mario 64. Most of them were just good fun.
Portal absolutely belongs on the list, as does Doom and Fallout.

I wont argue about Symphony of the Night, the problem is its often expensive. I see copies on Amazon for as much as 80 dollars.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: shortylickens
Bioshock is not even a "must-play" game. And certainly not a "must-finish".
Am glad the top of the list was PC heavy though. When the first thing I saw a skateboarding game I cringed and thought it was yet another ignorant fools list of top games that arent top and arent even good games.

Zelda 3 and Super Metroid are definately required. Nothing on the N64 is required playing, not even Mario 64. Most of them were just good fun.
Portal absolutely belongs on the list, as does Doom and Fallout.

I wont argue about Symphony of the Night, the problem is its often expensive. I see copies on Amazon for as much as 80 dollars.

I suppose I could accept that, especially given all the games the list leaves out.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Originally posted by: Marty502
No Deus Ex?

I can't take the list seriously anymore.

i'll agree to that. DE should replace bioshock, and then be moved up towards the top of the list.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Maximilian
Originally posted by: apoppin
- The game of "life"

rose.gif

Same here, im stuck at the out of uni and need to get a good job part... theres nothing on gameFAQ's and cheats are hard to find for this game :frown: Incredible graphics though!

try leveling up ;)
- spend your points wisely

i understand there is a big patch coming; the save games will not work and they may need a cold reboot to fix it
rose.gif

as to that PC game list
- it is beyond suck :p

Nov 30, 2008
heres the REAL list of 25 games you must finish before you die.

Out of this world (aka: Another world)
Out of this world 2: heart of the alien
resistance 2
FF7
MGS4
ninja gaiden (nes version)
Monkey island
Starfox
double dragon
Oblivion
the adventures of willy beamish
Flashback
Golden axe 2: revenge of death adder (arcade)
BladeRunner
Drakan
GTA 4
TMNT (arcade)
Advent Rising
Omikron
Messiah
COR assault on dark athena
Strider
Splatterhouse
Liesure suit larry
Prey

Via

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2009
What a wierd list.

Fallout but no Civ? No turn-based or RTS at all? What about games like Homeworld?

Two Mario games? No infinity engine games? No Elder scrolls? I could go on like this for hours if I really wanted to.

That being said - I'm glad to see advance wars on it. That was such a great game.

Tequila

Oct 24, 1999

Wow, what a craptastic list(aside from Half Life).

Any list without BG2 and Fallout is serious fail. A list for would have to include at least some the following:

Half Life
Homeworld
BG2
Fallout
Civilization
Jagged Alliance
Panzer General
X-COM
Mechwarrior 2
Steelpanthers

Most of the best games ever made were in the 90s.. Too much eye candy and little thought to strategy and detail anymore.

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
These countdown lists are a sham. Mike Tyson's Punch Out at #1?... right.... Could that have anything to do with the Wii Punch Out game coming out?

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
What about 'games you must get right to the final end boss battle and then decide that bit is just too frustratingly difficult and annoying and so put aside to retry it some other time because you are not going to use a cheat code _now_ dammit, after getting this far, but in fact never get around to finishing...before you die'?

Or 'games to put off till after you are dead...and then some'?

coldmeat

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2007
Originally posted by: TecHNooB
List needs at least one of the FF games and one of the Zelda games.

Are you referring to the original list because it has FFIV and Link to the Past.

TecHNooB

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2005
Originally posted by: coldmeat
Originally posted by: TecHNooB
List needs at least one of the FF games and one of the Zelda games.

Are you referring to the original list because it has FFIV and Link to the Past.

My eyes hopped right over the 2d stuff -_-;; you are right.