25 Coolest Guitar Solos

2Xtreme21

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2004
Did a search, couldn't find another post of this.

Link

1. ?Sweet Child O? Mine,? Guns N? Roses
2. ?Freebird,? Lynyrd Skynyrd
3. ?One,? Metallica
4. ?Comfortably Numb,? Pink Floyd
5. ?Marquee Moon,? Television
6. ?Crossroads,? Cream
7. ?Purple Rain,? Prince
8. ?Machine Gun,? Jimi Hendrix
9. ?Ball and Biscuit,? The White Stripes
10. ?While My Guitar Gently Weeps,? The Beatles
11. ?Stairway to Heaven,? Led Zeppelin
12. ?Eruption,? Van Halen
13. ?November Rain,? Guns N? Roses
14. ?Alive,? Pearl Jam
15. ?Paranoid Android,? Radiohead
16. ?Maggot Brain,? Funkadelic
17. ?Fortunate Son,? Creedence Clearwater Revival
18. ?Time,? Pink Floyd
19. ?Hotel California,? Eagles
20. ?Cinnamon Girl,? Neil Young
21. ?Yellow Ledbetter,? Pearl Jam
22. ?Telegraph Road,? Dire Straits
23. ?In Memory of Elizabeth Reed,? Allman Brothers
24. ?Soma,? Smashing Pumpkins
25. ?Scar Tissue,? Red Hot Chili Peppers

I don't know about Sweet Child being number one, but the rest seem pretty damn on. Definitely the best of the best.

DangerAardvark

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2004
WTF, that guitar solo is completely nondescript. And how is there no Tom Morello. Boooooooooooo...

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
There is only one on that list that I agree with, #23, and it should be in the top ten.

BrokenVisage

Lifer
Jan 29, 2005
Originally posted by: Greenman
There is only one on that list that I agree with, #23, and it should be in the top ten.

Your definition of "Coolest" would be interesting to look at on paper as a pictorial representation.

GasX

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Little Wing is not on the list, therefore this list is utter garbage.

Take your pick:

Hendrix' version
Clapton's version
SRV's version

Marquee Moon is damn good and not known by many under the age of 30, but not on a guitar solo list...

Gibson486

Lifer
Aug 9, 2000
Originally posted by: nismotigerwvu
What no Only In Dreams.....bunk!

You mean that Weezer song? What's so great about it? It's just two guitars soloing aganist each other. I think Noel Gallagher has produced better solos than Weezer has ever done, and his solos are *bleh*.....

Any ways, top xx list always suck. the fact that it is from Rolling Stones multiplies suckage by a factor of 10. The fact that Scar Tissue is up there multiplies suckage even more.

Noema

Platinum Member
Feb 15, 2005
Phsh...they alway pick mainstream bands exclusively.

Mind you, those are awesome guitar solos. But those are the top 25 mainstream solos, not the best solos.

UncleWai

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2001
I tried listening free bird a bunch of times, I really don't understand how great this song nor the solo is. The transition in the song is just utter crap.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: DangerAardvark
WTF, that guitar solo is completely nondescript. And how is there no Tom Morello. Boooooooooooo...

Yeah... big wtf on Scar Tissue...

I agree with most of the songs on the list though.

nismotigerwvu

Golden Member
May 13, 2004
Originally posted by: Gibson486

You mean that Weezer song? What's so great about it? It's just two guitars soloing aganist each other. I think Noel Gallagher has produced better solos than Weezer has ever done, and his solos are *bleh*.....

And where were you from 1994 to 1996 when Weezer was actually a pretty kick ass band...go ahead...find yourself a copy of the blue album, jump to track 10 and say thats not a pretty sweet solo again...maybe stopping on in the garage, my name is jonas and surfwax america while you've got it in there

edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knSvvoMkUG0 Theres a fine example, I'd imagine the portion in question is roughly at the 6 and a half to 7 minute mark....mind you this say 25 coolest not 25 most complex (not that complex guitar solos aren't cool)

Gibson486

Lifer
Aug 9, 2000

And where were you from 1994 to 1996 when Weezer was actually a pretty kick ass band...go ahead...find yourself a copy of the blue album, jump to track 10 and say thats not a pretty sweet solo again...maybe stopping on in the garage, my name is jonas and surfwax america while you've got it in there

At that time, I was listening to that album. And if anything, the stuff on pinkerton was better guitar wise.

nismotigerwvu

Golden Member
May 13, 2004

At that time, I was listening to that album. And if anything, the stuff on pinkerton was better guitar wise.

Agreed to an extent....had you gave your love to me softly and blast off made the album and pushed buterfly to b-side or like exclusive promo solo tack on level (which its better suited for, neat song but just not album worthy in my mind. Thankfully it gets sauced up live so pat and everyone else don;t just sit around watching rivers be emo)

SludgeFactory

Platinum Member
Sep 14, 2001
I rate this list at #19 on my "Top 25 Rolling Stone Lists Designed to Stir Up Some Controversy with a Few Random Nods to the Elitists"

Really they could have done better.

pulse8

Lifer
May 3, 2000
Some WTF songs on there, but there's a lot of songs on there that I agree have some cool fvcking solos.

GasX

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Am I really the only one wondering why SRV did not make the list?

Dean

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Mwilding

Nope. He should have, but IMO, there are so many great solos out there, many by obscure artists, that top 25 just is not enough. You would need a top 200, or more, in order to feel like something didn't get left out.

GasX

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: Dean
Originally posted by: Mwilding

Nope. He should have, but IMO, there are so many great solos out there, many by obscure artists, that top 25 just is not enough. You would need a top 200, or more, in order to feel like something didn't get left out.

He'd make a top 2 list... :p