24v ITE power supply...what's this probably go to?

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
I got a box of computer parts from a friend that's no longer with us. One of the things in the box was a power supply from GlobTek 24v / .75 amps output.

Any idea what this might go to? I don't have anything else in the box...but just wondering what it might work with.

deadlyapp

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2004
Isn't 24V often used in rackmounts? Could it be for some type of lighting system? That's not much power available there.

Could also be audio. I know some mixers use like 18V and it can vary.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
24v is what's throwing me off. Most stuff pertaining to computers is 5v or 12v.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Hmm that's 18 watts at a higher than typical voltage.

Maybe a charger for some kind of battery operated device? Tool battery maybe?

Or maybe a POE injector for a device like a camera? Lot of stuff seems to use whatever voltage standard they want instead of sticking with 48v.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Hmm that's 18 watts at a higher than typical voltage.

Maybe a charger for some kind of battery operated device? Tool battery maybe?

Or maybe a POE injector for a device like a camera? Lot of stuff seems to use whatever voltage standard they want instead of sticking with 48v.
I would expect it to be for an external hard drive or something like that, but it's a standard power supply that plugs in like a laptop. (and too many volts for a hard drive because why would they force themselves to step it down again?) I don't think it would be as technical as a camera or POE power supply....it's probably something very basic from consumer electronics world...just throwing me off because it's one of those off the shelf chinese power supplies. I'll think about it, but may just chuck it. I'm really trying not to accumulate more junk these days....want to downsize.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
If it's really killing you, take a picture of the plug

It's just a barrel connector, very common. The voltage and amperage combo is what's unusual. Some LED lights use 24VDC but you need more than 0.5A for a string.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
Thinking it might be the wall wart option for an either-or Poe camera. Some of them ship with a power supply and have a barrel connector brought out of them.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
It's just a barrel connector, very common. The voltage and amperage combo is what's unusual. Some LED lights use 24VDC but you need more than 0.5A for a string.
Exactly...lol...that's also why I'm probably just going to chuck it in the trash.

I'm not stressed, but hate throwing things that could have a second life away. Also, I don't want to hit that point in 4 years where I say, "Man....I need a 24v power supply with positive polarity...blah blah blah" and have to buy one. Ohh well...less stuff, less stress.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Exactly...lol...that's also why I'm probably just going to chuck it in the trash.

I'm not stressed, but hate throwing things that could have a second life away. Also, I don't want to hit that point in 4 years where I say, "Man....I need a 24v power supply with positive polarity...blah blah blah" and have to buy one. Ohh well...less stuff, less stress.

0.5A is fairly useless lol

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
I would just throw it in a box with any other random PSU, they can come in handy for random things sometimes.
I'm trying to clean out those boxes and downsize. Years ago, I had a huge box of PC parts and power supplies. I threw the stuff that didn't have a value away and gave the rest of it to a friend's brother who was in high school. (someone who would appreciate it) I've got some things I bought years ago and kept...a lot of the plastic is decomposing now (sticky feeling)...not from UV exposure either. Just cheap chinese plastic. I'm going to stop keeping things and when I need a new power supply, I'll buy one.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I'm trying to clean out those boxes and downsize. Years ago, I had a huge box of PC parts and power supplies. I threw the stuff that didn't have a value away and gave the rest of it to a friend's brother who was in high school. (someone who would appreciate it) I've got some things I bought years ago and kept...a lot of the plastic is decomposing now (sticky feeling)...not from UV exposure either. Just cheap chinese plastic. I'm going to stop keeping things and when I need a new power supply, I'll buy one.

I have remotes for tube tv :colbert: