BSim500

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2013
Does anyone know why DX8 games worked properly on 8, but not on 10?
"Because Windows 10". As someone who also plays a lot of older games, W7 to W10 has been a far bigger PITA than XP to W7 ever was to the extent I couldn't be bothered with all the extra hoops and downgraded "re-upgraded" back to W7. Eg, No One Lives Forever wouldn't run full-screen. Forcing it gave a new weird 30fps cap that never existed before. Disabling it gave chronic tearing and weird movement stutter (due to VSync not working). The workaround which consisted of borderless window + frame-rate cap in MSI Afterburner, "technically worked", but despite supposedly running at a solid 60fps, it never actually felt as smooth as W7 full-screen. And that was the pre Anniversary Edition which from what I've heard is causing even more problems, even for newer games. Good luck if you can get it to work.

Feb 4, 2009
I know Windows 10 doesn't support real old dx games, like dx 5. Honestly Windows 10 feels like it runs games better to me but I only have played a few and the oldest was Supreme Commander F/A. When I say better it feels like it loads faster and fps feel more consistent for me. I don't have numbers but I have noticed improvement.
This thread should be interesting.

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
This is one of the reasons why I havn't taken the free "upgrade" to Win10. I would much rather keep my Win7 Pro license as a Win7 Pro license and I would buy a Win10 license, and run the Win7 in a VM (or Win10 in a VM)...

Bryf50

Golden Member
Nov 11, 2006
This is one of the reasons why I havn't taken the free "upgrade" to Win10. I would much rather keep my Win7 Pro license as a Win7 Pro license and I would buy a Win10 license, and run the Win7 in a VM (or Win10 in a VM)...
The upgrade didn't actually invalidate your old licenses. At least in my experience, I was able to reactivate my Windows 7/8 licenses on other machines after I upgraded to 10 with them.