2405FPW gives me head aches - literally..

alnoa

Sep 12, 2001
If always been very sensitive to low refresh rates and was excited to get my first LCD monitor that supposedely rid of itself of this problem.

I got the monitor, checked for dead pixels(none!) and I thought was good to go.

Within a few hours of using this monitor I started feeling nauseous and got a mild headache. The wierd thing is that it takes hours for the feeling to fade, while the feeling I used to get with CRT's it would pass within a few minutes(10 or so).

Anyway, I looked it up and seems that im not the only one with this issue, a lot of other people experience this symptoms with LCDs in general. Its going to pain me to package this guy up again and return it. I suppose the bright side is that my wallet will be happy as hell that im returning it. Im going to pick up one of the used 24" CRTs off of ebay.

I guess my point is, for those who haven't used a LCD and start feeling these semi-mild symptoms, recognize it for what it is and dont think its your mind playing tricks on you.

mchammer

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2000
I heard that different LCD's operate their backlights differently and this could be what's doing it to you.

myusername

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2003
Try turning the brightness down. I set the brightness to 0 at the monitor and took out even more brightness and contrast with the controls in the display properties.

ai42

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2001
Yea I agree it simply the issue of tuning the settings out. My LCD TV gave me headaches and when I turned down the contrast and brightness it is perfect.

aidanjm

Lifer
Aug 9, 2004
Originally posted by: alnoa
If always been very sensitive to low refresh rates and was excited to get my first LCD monitor that supposedely rid of itself of this problem.

I got the monitor, checked for dead pixels(none!) and I thought was good to go.

Within a few hours of using this monitor I started feeling nauseous and got a mild headache. The wierd thing is that it takes hours for the feeling to fade, while the feeling I used to get with CRT's it would pass within a few minutes(10 or so).

Anyway, I looked it up and seems that im not the only one with this issue, a lot of other people experience this symptoms with LCDs in general. Its going to pain me to package this guy up again and return it. I suppose the bright side is that my wallet will be happy as hell that im returning it. Im going to pick up one of the used 24" CRTs off of ebay.

I guess my point is, for those who haven't used a LCD and start feeling these semi-mild symptoms, recognize it for what it is and dont think its your mind playing tricks on you.

ginger pills for nausea? or car travel anti-nausea pills?

or maybe try lowering the brightness and contrast, as others have pointed suggested?

Greyd

Platinum Member
Dec 4, 2001
can u change refresh rate on LCDs? Wonder if that will make a difference.

Insane3D

Elite Member
May 24, 2000
Originally posted by: Rebasxer
Ill trade my 22' NEC Multisync CRT for it

NEC 2141?

I wouldn't trade mine...although my new 2005FPW is nice...it's still not up to the level of the NEC, except in text.

Are you using the analog connection or the DVI?

myusername

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2003
The other thing, besides its absolutely blinding brightness, that I noticed about the 2405 is that there is a shimmery effect caused by the difference in angles of incidence of binocular vision. This is particularly noticeable on black backgrounds. Obviously, the farther away from the screen you are, the less this effect has. Perhaps you are sitting too close?

Rebasxer

Golden Member
Apr 10, 2005
Originally posted by: Insane3D
Originally posted by: Rebasxer
Ill trade my 22' NEC Multisync CRT for it

NEC 2141?

I wouldn't trade mine...although my new 2005FPW is nice...it's still not up to the level of the NEC, except in text.

Are you using the analog connection or the DVI?

Naw, 2111, and even though I love it, I'm not gonna take it to college next year because the thing is so beastly, and yes I have never seen an LCD with a picture as nice as this one

alnoa

Sep 12, 2001
Originally posted by: myusername
The other thing, besides its absolutely blinding brightness, that I noticed about the 2405 is that there is a shimmery effect caused by the difference in angles of incidence of binocular vision. This is particularly noticeable on black backgrounds. Obviously, the farther away from the screen you are, the less this effect has. Perhaps you are sitting too close?

Hmm I had it setup less than 2 feet away. Problem is since I have a raised hutch in my desk, its either that or about 3 1/2 fee away, and at that distance I sort of have to strain to see some things at the native 1920X1200 resolution. One other thing I noticed about my current setup is that I dont have many good options as far as resolutions go.

I think Ill see if turning the brightness down super low(I had turned it down quite a bit already) and change contrast levels to see if that makes a difference. Ill do that tomorrow to clean the slate as far as my headaches go(I just switched back to my CRT an hour or so ago).

mercanucaribe

Banned
Oct 20, 2004
Maybe it's the color. Most LCDs have their default color temperature set to 9300K. This is unnatural, and they use that setting so it "looks better" to uninformed consumers. Most people don't realize this, even many designers and artists. The proper setting is 6500K, as it's closer to sunlight. It's probably the brightness. Try turning it down??

Actually I looked up the 2405FPW and it turns out that it's really close to 6500K. http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1774272,00.asp

mercanucaribe

Banned
Oct 20, 2004
Originally posted by: alnoa
Originally posted by: myusername

Hmm I had it setup less than 2 feet away. Problem is since I have a raised hutch in my desk, its either that or about 3 1/2 fee away, and at that distance I sort of have to strain to see some things at the native 1920X1200 resolution. One other thing I noticed about my current setup is that I dont have many good options as far as resolutions go.

I think Ill see if turning the brightness down super low(I had turned it down quite a bit already) and change contrast levels to see if that makes a difference. Ill do that tomorrow to clean the slate as far as my headaches go(I just switched back to my CRT an hour or so ago).

You should be running it at the native res or you'll get blurring which might cause headaches. Also, have you tried turning off font smoothing or setting it to Cleartype instead of the default? That would give me a headache.

Insane3D

Elite Member
May 24, 2000
If you can mess with the contrast, you are obviously using the analog connection. Trying to push that much video bandwitdth over an analog connection is almost surely where your problem is happening...

Why on earth would you hook up a monitor like that via a analog connection? Does your comp not have a DVI port?

From the AT review of the 2005FPW...

Screen discoloration, particularly "warm" colors, occurs for many different reasons. Perhaps the largest reason why we see such discoloration is due to the use of a poorly shielded or a heavily interfered 15-pin D-sub connector. At 1680x1050 resolutions (native for the Apple 20" and Dell 2005FPW), so much analog bandwidth is moving over the cable that it becomes very easy for the signal to become unstable. Generally, this results in the whole screen discoloring, but we have witnessed incidents where the strangest interference will discolor only a portion of the screen.

So, that becomes ever more of a problem with the 2405 because it's running an even higher resolution, and using even more bw. Personally, I wouldn't use an analog cable on anything above 1600 x 1200, and at that res I'd get a heavy duty one...

The analog cable that came with my 2005FPW was very thin and not very heavy duty at all...

mercanucaribe

Banned
Oct 20, 2004
Originally posted by: Insane3D
If you can mess with the contrast, you are obviously using the analog connection. Trying to push that much video bandwitdth over an analog connection is almost surely where your problem is happening...

Why on earth would you hook up a monitor like that via a analog connection? Does your comp not have a DVI port?

From the AT review of the 2005FPW...

Screen discoloration, particularly "warm" colors, occurs for many different reasons. Perhaps the largest reason why we see such discoloration is due to the use of a poorly shielded or a heavily interfered 15-pin D-sub connector. At 1680x1050 resolutions (native for the Apple 20" and Dell 2005FPW), so much analog bandwidth is moving over the cable that it becomes very easy for the signal to become unstable. Generally, this results in the whole screen discoloring, but we have witnessed incidents where the strangest interference will discolor only a portion of the screen.

So, that becomes ever more of a problem with the 2405 because it's running an even higher resolution, and using even more bw. Personally, I wouldn't use an analog cable on anything above 1600 x 1200, and at that res I'd get a heavy duty one...

The analog cable that came with my 2005FPW was very thin and not very heavy duty at all...

I didn't know the 2405FPW HAD analog. Why would you use it with an analog card anyway?

And it's not true that you can only change those settings with analog. It's just that some LCDs lock out control. This is why I didn't buy a Samsung 17"... Because you can't change the color temperature from the default blue 9300K. On other brands you can. The signal the monitor recieves and what it displays are not the same thing. The DVI port doesn't drive each pixel's RGB dots or the backlight.

Insane3D

Elite Member
May 24, 2000
I'm not sure if it does or not either...but the fact he mentioned he could adjust contrast, which you can't do on the 2005FPW when you are using DVI, it makes me think it does, and he is using it via analog...

As for why...beats me...

Although the 2005FPW came with the analog cable connected to the panel already like they wanted you to use it...

*shrug*

Well, I'm no expert, but I was under the assumption you can't adjust contrast when using DVI...

Edit:

I'm confused now..you say contrast is adjustable with a DVI connection...but this is from the 2005FPW vs Apple 20" WS review on AT..

With digital signal, a user can only really affect the backlight intensity anyway ? and fortunately, Apple gives us control of that. Although simple, the Cinema 20? gives a good balance of control.

Insane3D

Elite Member
May 24, 2000
Originally posted by: mercanucaribe

I didn't know the 2405FPW HAD analog. Why would you use it with an analog card anyway?

And it's not true that you can only change those settings with analog. It's just that some LCDs lock out control. This is why I didn't buy a Samsung 17"... Because you can't change the color temperature from the default blue 9300K. On other brands you can. The signal the monitor recieves and what it displays are not the same thing. The DVI port doesn't drive each pixel's RGB dots or the backlight.

I said he couldn't adjust contrast with a DVI connection...not color temperature...

Also, yes, it has all the same connections as the 2005...

15-pin D-sub / DVI-D / S-video / Composite / Component / 4 x USB 2.0

jamesbond007

Diamond Member
Dec 21, 2000
That's really odd...my girlfriend exhibits the same experience when she sits in front of the LCDs at the university. I tried bargaining with her to have my 1704FPT so that I could use that as an excuse to get a 2005FPW, but she wouldn't bite. :p

aphex

Moderator<br>All Things Apple
Jul 19, 2001
Ive actually experienced the same thing in front of my 2005fpw, my IBM T41 14" laptop, AND anytime i was in my schools library for long periods of time....

Did a little reasearch and found other people with the same problems, turns out many people get sick and/or headaches from Flourescent lighting (since it constantly flickers) which is what LCD backlighting uses AND what my library uses.

My only solution thus far is to limit my time on my lcds or in the library to 2 hours max at a sitting.

For myself, that makes sence

RaiderJ

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2001
I had a 2405 for a little while... I think it's a bit too big for standard desktop use (2005 is probably better). However, if you can set it up right, it is a fantastic monitor.