24" Sony FW900 Widescreen CRT

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

videopho

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2005
Save the earth and your pocket (at the same time).
Get rid of these CRT dinosaurs.
Go green!

Creig

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: videopho
Go green!

How would buying a new LCD save me money when my CRT works just fine? Somehow I think it would take decades before I broke even on the electricity savings.

sisq0kidd

Lifer
Apr 27, 2004
I had this monitor along side a Dell 2405FPW for a few months running dual screens. The picture is amazing on the Sony, but the space it took was ridiculous.

A few things to note that ultimately led to my decision of keeping the Dell and selling this monitor:

1. Size. It's simply way too big for my desk. If you have a nice big desk, then it shouldn't matter.
2. Geometric distortion. It's a small matter to some, but it bothered me so much that a rectangle isn't always a rectangle!
3. Size.
4. Size.

What is nice about the crt is that it has a USB hub on the bottom though. Beautiful picture, but god damn, the size!

Sunrise089

Aug 30, 2005
I have this display - favorite purchase I ever made OP.

You might consider buying local of Craiglist. My original owner model cost me $60 :)

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
You might consider buying local of Craiglist.

This is a better way to get a CRT than having it shipped from somewhere, especially since you can inspect it before buying. There are so many duds out there (with a wide range of defects that may be slight or major) that it's rather risky to buy anything off the internet, especially used or refurb ones.

themisfit610

Golden Member
Apr 16, 2006
I love CRTs...

But the sad thing is that video card manufacturers are starting to skimp on their analog outputs. VGA is just damned fuzzy on some cards. Plus, the VGA connector only has so much shielding. I recall somewhere reading about high end CRTs that connect via a DVI cable - not using a digital interface of course, but just using the analog pins of the DVI cable.

:shrug:

I really really miss resolution flexibility. A lot. Plus, CRTs wear out and eventually die...

My old Sony 21" G500 was great, until I put it next to my BenQ 24" LCD and realized the following
1) It was dim
2) It was blurry at anything above 1024x768
3) Its blacks were more like a charcoal gray
4) Its corners had distortion

Now, my poor baby was a 2001 vintage, and was in poor shape - not gonna lie. If I had found a CRT technician to refurbish it, I would have spent a few dimes, no doubt. I did all I could - heck I even used a very thick heavily shielded VGA -> BNC(RGBHV) cable, but when push came to shove, the CRT came off the desk, and into my buddy's apartment. I still shake my head in disbelief when I go over there and use it.

All else being fair - there's a reason CRTs are used for film color correction still, and there's a very good reason Sony still sells broadcast market, rack-mounted CRTs!

~MiSfit

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
I would be all over a 24" CRT of that quality... if it was new and priced at the same level as a 24" 8-bit (non-TN panel) LCD and I lived at street level. I would hate to carry that thing up the stairs...

videopho

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2005
Originally posted by: Creig
Originally posted by: videopho
Go green!

How would buying a new LCD save me money when my CRT works just fine? Somehow I think it would take decades before I broke even on the electricity savings.

Do not get me wrong here.
I do miss the vivid CRT colors and its blackness but...
Unless you either have a power solar panel on the roof or a wind-mill electric power generated at your own back yard then I can see your point.
If however you live in the South or SW of the country then the heat these beasts radiating back into the room while your home ac struggling to keep the room temp down, especially in the summer heat here in TX.
On the average, a same size screen a CRT draws 3 times more power than a LCD panel.
Imagine you have more than one CRT monitors in the house...
Do your math, then you can see my point.

KeithP

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2000
Very nice monitor but did you ask how the warranty works? Is it in home service or will you have to take/ship it somewhere? If they leave it up to you to get it to a service center that would be a deal breaker for me.

-KeithP

shabby

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I hope you actually didnt pay $800 for it, i got mine for $300 locally.

VI3L

Oct 14, 2005
Originally posted by: Sunrise089
I have this display - favorite purchase I ever made OP.

You might consider buying local of Craiglist. My original owner model cost me $60 :)

Ya i tried that, couldn't find one that was remotely close to me. :(