24 Mind-Blowing Facts About Marijuana Production in America

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
Oh, oh. Marijuana growing is bad for the environment and in a whole slew of different ways. If you read nothing else, read Josh Harkinson's story linked below.

http://www.motherjones.com/environment/2014/03/marijuana-pot-weed-statistics-climate-change

You thought your pot came from environmentally conscious hippies? Think again. The way marijuana is grown in America, it turns out, is anything but sustainable and organic. Check out these mind-blowing stats, and while you're at it, read Josh Harkinson's feature story, "The Landscape-Scarring, Energy-Sucking, Wildlife-Killing Reality of Pot Farming."

Earth going to pot – Marijuana grows in California produce more carbon than 3 million cars

"Turns out your pot habit is killing the planet"

80 percent of all marijuana grown in the USA comes from California.
In 2013, California authorities seized 329 outdoor pot grow sites with: 1.2 million plants, 119,000lbs of trash, 17,000lbs of fertilizer, 40gal. of pesticides, 244 propane tanks, 61 car batteries, 89 illegal dams, and 81 miles of irrigation pipe.
During California’s growing season, outdoor grows consumed roughly 60 million gallons of water a day – 50% more than is used by all residents of San Francisco.
In California, indoor pot growing accounts for about 9% of household electricity use.
For every pound of pot grown indoors, 4600lbs of carbon dioxide goes into the atmosphere. California’s production equates to emissions of 3 million cars.
The energy needed to produce a single joint is enough to produce 18 pints of beer, and creates emissions comparable to burning a 100 watt light bulb for 25 hours.

Pocatello

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
Eating a steak, smoke a joint, it's bad for the environment. As long as you feel good.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Funny how "production and distribution of marijuana in America" turned into "California's production" as it made its way through the conservatard grapevine.

marincounty

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2005
40gal. of pesticides found at grow sites? And these are from Mexican cartel outdoor grows. You're right , marijuana should be grown legally under the law-but Republicans won't vote for that so it remains illegal and a huge black market exists to supply the need.
That 9% of household energy use sounds way too high, also. I think this comes from a Rand corp. study-in other words, crap.

Approximately 30 million pounds of fumigant pesticides are used each year on soil that yields valuable California crops — strawberries, tomatoes, peppers and the like — in an attempt to control pests. Responsibility for the safety of pesticides must be evaluated and approved by the California Department of Pesticide Regulation in a process known as registration.
Righties are worried about pesticides ? Really. That's why the sprayed paraquat on the pot grown in Mexico in the 70's.

Drako

Lifer
Jun 9, 2007
Funny how "production and distribution of marijuana in America" turned into "California's production" as it made its way through the conservatard grapevine.

LOL @ Mother Jones as part of the "conservatard grapevine", wow. :D

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
LOL @ Mother Jones as part of the "conservatard grapevine", wow. :D
No. See, you don't understand. If you go to Mother Jones, you get the first part of my post. As you make your way through the shit sites that our OP frequents, you suddenly get the second part. Hopefully this is clear for you now.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I thought CO2 was not a greenhouse gas and that people weren't responsible for global warming?

Don't believe the lies, OP!

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
Do you think pot smokers care about marijuana hurting the environment? They are not too concerned about the death toll in Mexico from the drug trade so I doubt they give a crap.

rommelrommel

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2002
Do you think pot smokers care about marijuana hurting the environment? They are not too concerned about the death toll in Mexico from the drug trade so I doubt they give a crap.

The real crime is smoking mexican pot.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
What's this? Reefer Madness for the Whole Foods crowd? :rolleyes:

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

the only people smoking Mexican pot are dumbass high school kids and younger. Did you care about such things when you were that age?

thought not.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I still find it amusing that the OP is trumpeting this evidence of anthropogenic global warming, and has pretty much accepted it as true in order to take this jab against dem ebil hippie dopers.

He's going to have to turn around and accept one of these "great lies" in order for anyone to take him seriously with this thread.

I wait with popcorn.

AyashiKaibutsu

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2004
Sounds like most of the damage is because of a lack of ability to properly farm because of its illegality rather than some innate environment destroying power of pot.

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
I still find it amusing that the OP is trumpeting this evidence of anthropogenic global warming, and has pretty much accepted it as true in order to take this jab against dem ebil hippie dopers.

He's going to have to turn around and accept one of these "great lies" in order for anyone to take him seriously with this thread.

I wait with popcorn.
Wow! You put a whole lot of words in my mouth. Where did you get these notions from? Did they come to you while in a purple haze?

Feb 4, 2009
All I can say is everyone should watch Sanjay Gupta's (yes he irritates me too) Weed. I have always leaned toward legalization mostly because the war on weed has been lost a long, long time ago. I never really believed it had any significant medical use. I was definitely wrong.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3IMfIQ_K6U

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Uhmm, a lot of these issues are exacerbated by the illegal nature of weed. You don't grow it inside if it's legal.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Personally I've neither smoked it nor grown it, but in Tennessee one does not need fertilizer or irrigation to grow a massive crop. Can't speak to its quality, but given that the actual growing of acres worth can be accomplished by stoners working a few hours a week, surely it's not that damaging.

As far as CO2, I'm unsure if the people not driving because of being stoned will offset the snack runs to serve the howling munchies, but surely a glut of DWS enforcement can tilt it toward the former. Especially if there's weed to be confiscated. There's a reason cops have the best grass . . .

And the OP's choice of articles is more appreciation of irony (given the massive overlap in potheads and warmers) than embracing CAGW. That should be clear to everyone.

sunzt

Diamond Member
Nov 27, 2003
So unregulated and illegal weed agriculture is bad? Wow......

Good thing we have agriculture regulations in the US for the food we eat. Hopefully the legal MJ agriculture will have regulations too. Thanks for pointing that out OP.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Pot is grown indoors largely because of it's illegality.

And how much of the water consumed was rainfall?