DarkKnightDude

Mar 10, 2011
I remember the game stuttering like crazy when I played it last time. Apparently the problem was it was related with it trying to send info online but wouldn't ever reach the server so hence the stutter every few seconds. The fix was I could only play it when I'm disconnected entirely from the internet on my computer.

Moe Zart

Apr 5, 2014
The stutter happens when you're in Kingdom, it's especially apparent when you're riding a horse. Nothing can fix it.
I recall reading it was an issue with Nvidia cards.

But I found a way to not notice stutters anymore. You must dim the screen, everything including gamma and brightness should be as low as possible.
The way I discovered this is that on my Laptop where the screen was far less bright than my Desktop screen; I would never notice any stutters/hitches on the laptop whereas they'd drive me crazy on the Desktop. So I dimmed the Desktop screen and voila, I rarely get bothered by stutters anymore.

Last edited:

Moe Zart

Apr 5, 2014
Don't know, I just read it somewhere that it was an Nvidia issue, I'm not 100% sure it's true. Might just be a game engine issue but you never noticed it until now.

From experience I know the brain can just ignore intermittent stutters when you're more focused on low framerate. It might have been that back when the game was released you didn't have a rig capable of constant 60 fps, so these stutters never caught your attention.

futurefields

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2012
Never played AC1 on PC. AC2 was butter smooth. AC Brotherhood was butter smooth provided I both enable Vsync AND limit fps to 60 using radeonpro.

Sattern

Jul 20, 2014
Skylercompany.com
I've had the same problem with that game, I just returned it and forgot about it.

If you tried the game in various systems maybe getting a new disk would resolve the problem like it did for me.

Still a bit sloppy, but it works :).

Last edited:

mmntech

Lifer
Sep 20, 2007
It's the game giving you a subtle hint not to waste your time with it. ;)
Seriously, it's not that good.

The Assassin's Creed series has never been well optimized for PC. It's one of those games were I do recommend people get the console version. I never had problems with Revelations or Brotherhood myself. Those ran butter smooth on high with my dual 6850s. Ran okay on my old 5770 as well. ACIII though lags like crazy. Playable but really choppy sometimes in the cities.

There's a thread on Steam about the lag issue in AC1. Might want to try some of these fixes.
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2971539

futurefields

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2012
Finally gotten around to playing AC1 on my current rig (2500k + 970) and can confirm it stutters like crazy when riding a horse around the Kingdom. Other Assassin's Creed games are butter smooth on this system.

Not sure how much longer I'll play it.