23 children die in India after eating pesticide contaminated food

Status
Not open for further replies.

2timer

Golden Member
Apr 20, 2012
50 children aged 2-12 fell sick almost immediately after eating food at a school prepared with cooking oil filled with pesticide. They were taken to the hospital where 23 children later died:

http://m.washingtonpost.com/world/p...ae0380-f463-11e2-81fa-8e83b3864c36_story.html

I'm sure the principal didn't cause this intentionally, but I'm glad she was arrested and will likely spend her life in prison. Someone's head had to roll for this.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
I was going to blame the cooks but seems they got sick and had children that died too. Seems the principal might have pocket some of the money and gotten cheap/tainted food.

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
Yeah but the parents made a killing on this deal.

Like $3500 each.

That's like a trillion dollars to them.

D1gger

Diamond Member
Oct 3, 2004
Bihar's chief minister, Nitish Kumar, vowed that police would investigate the poisoning incident from all possible angles.
"It does not appear to be mere coincidence or negligence," he told reporters after Kumari's arrest. "Police investigation will reveal everything."

Link

I found this quote to be interesting. Is he implying that it was intentional?

Last edited:

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Link

I found this quote to be interesting. Is he implying that it was intentional?

Yeah I thought that was interesting too. He might be saying that this is something like "recklessness," which in American law is somewhere in between negligence and intent. It means consciously disregarding a known serious risk, like when driving drunk. Or maybe he does mean it was intentional. I don't know much about their legal system.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
How else would pesticide make it there? Of course this was intentional.
I was going to blame the cooks but seems they got sick and had children that died too. Seems the principal might have pocket some of the money and gotten cheap/tainted food.

It was not the food that was bad. It was the cooking oil.

Thinks of good potatoes and chicken being cooked in oil at McDs.
Oil is contaminated which affects the good food.

In this situation, an entrupenier collected used cooking oil from restaurants and stored/sold it to the school.

More than likely the oil was poured into an empty drum. This time the drum was not clean and originally had pesticides stored in it.

Last edited:

DominionSeraph

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
Dang, I wish we had Tea Party small government so those sorts of things could happen here as well. Makes for better news than Faux News scandals like Benghazi.

DCal430

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2011
Scary to think that these same pestacides are used on our foods even in the U.S.

Remember hundreds of thousands of people die from organophosphate poisoning each year, one of the most toxic substances, and you spray it onto our foods.

StrangerGuy

Diamond Member
May 9, 2004
Obviously they should just cut the food aid program that feeds 120 million children or otherwise they might die of food poisoning instead of just merely starving. Think about all the *dead children*!

Status
Not open for further replies.