23" Apple Cinema Display problems (aluminum HD model)

simsalabim24

Jan 5, 2005
So I was just wondering if this is normal for this display every now and then and especially after a couple hours of operation there is almost like a burn-in effect which is noticable when I am browsing the net. It is not permanent, but is this a sign that the monitor may be on its way out? Does anyone know what this might cost to fix?

Also the USB ports have no PC drivers. I can use em without the drivers, but I have noticed some weird things with my mamba razer mouse and the port. It seems to every now and then maybe every 15-20 minutes just lock up and there is no mouse control for say 5 seconds. Then it resumes control. Its really exasperating. I know it might not be the usb port and might be the mouse so I have it plugged directly in the computer and am testing that theory now.

simsalabim24

Jan 5, 2005
The mouse does not show any evidence of that problem now that it is plugged directly into the computer USB. So is there a way to get a driver now? I mean this monitor has been out for 2 years or more hasnt it? Thanks!

zuffy

Feb 28, 2000
At least your USB work. Mine never really did. Beside, this monitor was never intended for PC. Microsoft had Vista and Windows 7 to decide if they want to fully support the product and they didn't.

Zensal

Jan 18, 2005
At least your USB work. Mine never really did. Beside, this monitor was never intended for PC. Microsoft had Vista and Windows 7 to decide if they want to fully support the product and they didn't.

First off, Microsoft doesn't choose to support it or not. Apple does. Apple needs to write the drivers and send them to MS for testing and inclusion in Windows. Apple chooses not to write drivers for Windows.

Back OT: That is just what LCDs do as they age. It's not permanent and can be undone by "exercising" the pixels, or cycling colors.

DPT will do it for you.

http://www.sharewareconnection.com/dead-pixel-tester.htm

MyLeftNut

Jul 22, 2007
I had this problem with my NEC 20WMGX2 even when it was new. Perhaps it was a common thing with S-IPS panels of that generation. Even the NEC documentation that came with the monitor mentioned about such "burn-in" effect, which is temporary and characteristic of the panel.

simsalabim24

Jan 5, 2005
First off, Microsoft doesn't choose to support it or not. Apple does. Apple needs to write the drivers and send them to MS for testing and inclusion in Windows. Apple chooses not to write drivers for Windows.

Back OT: That is just what LCDs do as they age. It's not permanent and can be undone by "exercising" the pixels, or cycling colors.

DPT will do it for you.

http://www.sharewareconnection.com/dead-pixel-tester.htm

The funny thing about this is that Apple supports windows OS on their computers so why can't they put out a measly driver for their monitors?!?!

Thanks for the suggestion!

Zensal

Jan 18, 2005
The funny thing about this is that Apple supports windows OS on their computers so why can't they put out a measly driver for their monitors?!?!

Thanks for the suggestion!

Anytime.

Apple likes to keep things in their little, expensive world, and WHQL certification for drivers included in Windows costs money. Can't be giving money to the competition.