.22LR not a good round for defense?

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
Originally posted by: MrColin
Originally posted by: Viper GTS
BTW since we're talking about .22LR...

Some family friends were trying to slaughter pigs with .22LR shots to the head. We're talking close range (a few inches), square in the forehead. They weren't having much luck (dazed them a little, but that's about it).

A .17 HMR dropped them dead in their tracks.

Round Comparison

Viper GTS

I see the problem your friends were having, "square in the forehead" is not the place to do it. the back of the head, just above the last cervical vertebra in a trajectory through the brain stem will drop them. I haven't tried it myself, but I picked that up in some veterinary literature.

An MP where I work requested to put a injured deer out of its misery with his M9. Put a fairly close 9mm into its head and the round bounced off. I guess deer have thick skulls. I would have used a knife.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Originally posted by: hanoverphist
Originally posted by: jackace
A 12 gauge shotgun with 00 buckshot will tear a hole in someone. They will probably die and you won't have to worry if you are going to be sued by the person who broke into your house.
ya, youll just get sued by his family...
With the key witness dead they dont have a decent chance to win.

Oh, and to sorta echo what some folks here have already said:
The purpose of a self-defense weapon is to be able to put one round in the assailant quickly and make sure they arent able to kill you.
If the guy takes an hour to die theres a pretty good chance he'll hurt you in that time period, likely within the first minute.
If he drops like a rock instantly you have one less person in life trying to hurt you.

If you put 10 rounds into him there is a fair possibility the DA will declare it wasn't self-defense. Depending on what state you live in, a lawyer may not be able to get you off.

EDIT 2: And for those of you who have actually worked in security or the police, you probably already know how difficult it really is to get a headshot with a pistol on a charging maniac.

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
Originally posted by: waggy

well if you come to Northern ILL part let me kbnow. i will buy you a beer (or two). if nothing else come out to the house and have a BBQ!

Uh yeah, I'm looking for an apartment in Yorkville or North Aurora. :p I hope you have a FOID, because when I get home, I'm gonna make a "Go shooting with Tallbill thread".

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: TallBill
Originally posted by: waggy

well if you come to Northern ILL part let me kbnow. i will buy you a beer (or two). if nothing else come out to the house and have a BBQ!

Uh yeah, I'm looking for an apartment in Yorkville or North Aurora. :p I hope you have a FOID, because when I get home, I'm gonna make a "Go shooting with Tallbill thread".

ohh expensive place's to live heh (well compared to where i live).

yeah i got a FOID. they are cheap and easy to get. Also my father-in-law is a hunter. he always wants shells for gifts. Also when i had my far i wanted to get some small guns for fun. sold the farm before i could heh.

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
Bummer, sounds like "the farm" would have been a great place to shoot. Not sure where I'm going to bring the rifles. Might have a place way down south in Chillicothe.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Bummer, sounds like "the farm" would have been a great place to shoot. Not sure where I'm going to bring the rifles. Might have a place way down south in Chillicothe.

yeah 88 acres in the middle of farmland. had a nice backdrop i could shoot at also.

now i live in a small town (county sheriff says i can shoot a .22 in my backyard! lol). but its not as good a place to shoot.

JDMnAR1

Lifer
May 12, 2003

If you come just a wee bit further south ;) I can hook you up with as much range as you want. :D

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003

I think there is a public range in Ottawa too (which is closer).

I miss my 200 member private rifle range :(

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
This is probably a pointless post but:

If any of you guys ever travel out the Mojave Desert we have many good ranges. When I was stationed in Ridgecrest I found a nice private range just outside Inyokern.
It was owned by the Sage Pistol League. Membership was about 20 bucks a year.

Its an old, abandoned strip mine, approximately 1/2 mile across. Tons of little ranges dug into the sides and one huge ass rifle range spanning the large open area. It was dug in deep enough already to make an ideal bullet stop. You would have to do something seriously stupid to miss the huge wall of earth and even if you did, it was several miles to the nearest house.

When I got out and moved up to Oregon to take a job, the first thing I did was investigate the gun clubs. Was appalled at how much people will spend on a membership to a range.

Must consider buying up some cheap land out in the country one day.