22 die in major Afghanistan raid

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Link

excerpt: Kabul ? Hundreds of insurgents in a convoy of trucks attacked a police headquarters in southeastern Afghanistan, triggering a gunbattle Sunday that killed 22 people, officials said. It was one of the largest shows of antigovernment force in more than a year.

No opinion, just some news.

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
Oh, you wish sandorski! It's bad news that you posted, therefore it will be equated w/ Bush-bashing by the resident cave-dwellers. ;)

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: DealMonkey
Oh, you wish sandorski! It's bad news that you posted, therefore it will be equated w/ Bush-bashing by the resident cave-dwellers. ;)

Been their, been accused, "they" can "bring it"! ;)

Tab

Lifer
Sep 15, 2002
The assault began shortly before midnight Saturday when about 400 guerrillas travelling in trucks drove across the border from Pakistan and attacked the police headquarters in the province's Barmal district, about 200 kilometres southeast of Kabul, said provincial governor Mohammed Ali Jalali. It wasn't clear how he knew the men came from Pakistan.

Looks like pakistan needs to do something about this...

Tripleshot

Elite Member
Jan 29, 2000
Originally posted by: Tabb
The assault began shortly before midnight Saturday when about 400 guerrillas travelling in trucks drove across the border from Pakistan and attacked the police headquarters in the province's Barmal district, about 200 kilometres southeast of Kabul, said provincial governor Mohammed Ali Jalali. It wasn't clear how he knew the men came from Pakistan.

That's my read on this, too. Pakistan not watching the border crossings? WTF? The Afghans need to watch all border crossings as well. electronic surveylence is a must, as well as a well equiped,well trained, armed border guard strategy. Until the boders are secure, Afghanistan will not be secure.

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
Originally posted by: Tripleshot

That's my read on this, too. Pakistan not watching the border crossings? WTF? The Afghans need to watch all border crossings as well. electronic surveylence is a must, as well as a well equiped,well trained, armed border guard strategy. Until the boders are secure, Afghanistan will not be secure.

I don't think Pakistan's ever controlled their borders with Afghanistan...

Martin

Lifer
Jan 15, 2000
Wow...these guys are serious.

it occured to me that instead of sending 150 000 men to Iraq, Bush could have sent them to Afghanistan...the country probably would have been secured then...

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Seems like Pakistan can't control their border at all, which is what India has been complaing about for years.

Jan 12, 2003
Originally posted by: MartyTheManiak

it occured to me that instead of sending 150 000 men to Iraq, Bush could have sent them to Afghanistan...the country probably would have been secured then...

Why don't Canada send in their mighty force to do something for the world? Like, take off, eh.

Martin

Lifer
Jan 15, 2000
Originally posted by: xxxxxJohnGaltxxxxx

Why don't Canada send in their mighty force to do something for the world? Like, take off, eh.

There are 1500 canadians in afghanistan right now.`

Tab

Lifer
Sep 15, 2002

On mounties! :D Jk... Anyway, whatever happenend to those unmanned drones? I remeamber when one successfully shot a truck with some taliban baddies in it.

Jan 12, 2003

Thanks for doing your part in the world, then, Canada.

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001

Hell, Bin Laden has probably been shacking out there since he fled Afghanistan. He has more supporters in Pakistan than he does in Afghanistan.

rahvin

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
According to news reports the provinces of pakistan near the afgahn border have not seen a member of the Pakistan central governments millitary or police in over 100 years. It's essentially the wild west in that area with no central control.