21" used CRT or 17" LCD?

The Green Bean

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2003
Can't decide between the two. A flat 21" CRT Soney tube (4 years old - not refurbished) and a 16ms LCD. Bear in mind the LCD costs 3 times more.

SKoprowski

Oct 21, 2003
if you are not planning on taking the CRT anywhere (like for LAN parties) and have enough space- get the CRT.

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Definitely the CRT.

I'm running two Sony tubes right now (Dell P1110's), paid a total of $250 for both (used, from local sellers).

I love them.

Viper GTS

The Green Bean

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2003
I forgot to mention that Im not a heavy gamer - 4-5 hrs a WEEK. Im on the PC for 1-2 hrs daily. I already own a 17" LCD but my Dad needs the one I have. So its either another one of these or a CRT. Im leaning towards the CRT though...For the size, resolution, price...I uprgraded to this from a 19" CRT (space constraints) and both have their pros and cons but since I don't think space would be a problem now, Im leaning towards the CRT.

Jan 24, 2005
CRT-better resolutions, faster response, better colors, better control of brightness level, good quality crts with higher refresh rates will not cause eye-strain in 1-2 hours? use, so that advantage for lcds is negated. I have a 21? Sony/Dell Trinitron and it is sweet. Just have some help if you want to move it.

ForumMaster

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2005
well the size is basically the same (21 crt with 2-3 inch bezel and 17 lcd) and the lcd is better for the eyes, however, the crt should have higher rez and less "ghosting" although i have never had any with my lcd. i'd say get the CRT if you can.

Sunrise089

Aug 30, 2005
CRT is always the better choice if you can find a good one for cheap....except for the small percentage of people who really cannot fit it on their desk or move their display around a lot, but not enough to need a labtop.

The Green Bean

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2003
Originally posted by: ForumMaster
well the size is basically the same (21 crt with 2-3 inch bezel and 17 lcd) and the lcd is better for the eyes, however, the crt should have higher rez and less "ghosting" although i have never had any with my lcd. i'd say get the CRT if you can.

Is it really?

Dethfrumbelo

Golden Member
Nov 16, 2004
If you'll be doing any gaming, get the CRT. 16ms will look absolutely awful. Throw in the fact that the LCD costs 3X more, and the CRT is a no-brainer.

If I weren't moving around so much, I'd definitely go for a high-quality CRT for the right price.

Shmalls

Feb 24, 2006
I dont know if they are exactly the same size, but all CRT's are measured from the corner of the bezel - horizontly to the other corner, where as LCD screens are measured from one corner of the screen horizontly to the opposite corner. So a 20 ince CRT could be very very close in viewing size to a 17 inch LCD!!!
-sad but true

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: Shmalls
I dont know if they are exactly the same size, but all CRT's are measured from the corner of the bezel - horizontly to the other corner, where as LCD screens are measured from one corner of the screen horizontly to the opposite corner. So a 20 ince CRT could be very very close in viewing size to a 17 inch LCD!!!
-sad but true

21" Trinitron tubes have a 19.8" viewable area.

You don't have a clue what you're talking about.

Viper GTS

Thraxen

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2001

You typically lose 1" in viewable size, 2" at the most. Chances are the 21" CRT has a 20" viewable screen, which is still 3" bigger than the 17" LCD. CRT screen sizes aren't measured from corner to corner of the bezel like a couple people here seem to think. They are measured from corner to corner of the actual screen, part of which is covered by the bezel.

DeathReborn

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2005
CRT without doubt. I have a 22" & a 17" CRT infront of me now and I won't be replacing them with anything but another CRT or a SED display (in the future).

yhelothar

Lifer
Dec 11, 2002
I'm lovin my Sony 24" FW900 at work. I'm thinking about swapping my Dell 2001FP at home for one of these too.

Shmalls

Feb 24, 2006
Originally posted by: Viper GTS
-sad but true

Viper GTS

Well Viper,
I am sorry you feel that way, however I have worked with quite a few older CRT's that have a very large bezel around them, 1.5 - 2 inches in some cases, which would put the viewable size right around that of a 17" monitor.

P.S. I am very happy to hear that you have found a nice one. congrats viper!

aatf510

Golden Member
Nov 13, 2004
Originally posted by: Thraxen

You typically lose 1" in viewable size, 2" at the most. Chances are the 21" CRT has a 20" viewable screen, which is still 3" bigger than the 17" LCD. CRT screen sizes aren't measured from corner to corner of the bezel like a couple people here seem to think. They are measured from corner to corner of the actual screen, part of which is covered by the bezel.

Exactly, a 19" CRT might have *similar* viewable size to a 17" LCD, but the 19" is still little bigger.
However, a 21" CRT should be close to 3" larger than a 17" LCD, and 3" is a whole lot in a computer monitor!!

Thraxen

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2001
-sad but true

Viper GTS

Well Viper,
I am sorry you feel that way, however I have worked with quite a few older CRT's that have a very large bezel around them, 1.5 - 2 inches in some cases, which would put the viewable size right around that of a 17" monitor.

P.S. I am very happy to hear that you have found a nice one. congrats viper!

You're wrong. One, Viper is talking about the CRT in question. It has a 19.8" viewable screen size and 19.8" is not the 'around' the size of a 17" monitor.

Two, you are wrong about how screen size is measured. They are not measured diagonally from corner to corner of the bezel. They are measured diagonally from corner to corner of the actual screen (the glass portion). The bezel obstructs part of the screen, but just because the bezel is two inches wide that doesn't mean the screen extends the same two inches behind the bezel.

Go ahead and look at the specs of various 21" CRTs. You should be able to find the viewable screen size listed. See if you can find a 21" monitor with a 17" viewable area.

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Just for sh!ts & giggles I found a tape measure & measured my 21" Trinitrons.

They are 19 1/8" wide by 16" tall, & ~25" from corner to corner.

Viper GTS

Thraxen

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2001
Just for sh!ts & giggles I found a tape measure & measured my 21" Trinitrons.

They are 19 1/8" wide by 16" tall, & ~25" from corner to corner.

Viper GTS

You must have 25" monitors! ;)

SonicIce

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2004
To my knowledge, the measurement for a CRT is taken from the size of the raster area (which extents part way behind the out plastic casing.) (Remember, all manufacturers might have a different way of getting their specifications.) You can't measure this yourself unless you take the monitor apart. All of the 21" Sony Trinitrons that I?ve seen had a VIS (viewable image size) of just under 16" x 12" which is where the 19.8? viewable size comes from. Most 22" NEC/Mitsubishi Diamondtrons have a viewable screen area of exactly 16" x 12", and with the magic of the Pythagorean Theorem, works out to 20" diagonal viewable image area. The diagonal size of the bezel of my 22" NEC is 25", though. 17" LCD monitors that I've looked at like this have a diagonal VIS of 17" which is a little less than a 19" CRT which usually has about 18" of diagonal VIS.