21" Flatscreen CRT or 17" LCD?

pulse8

Lifer
May 3, 2000
I have a choice between the two.

The 17" LCD is a KDS Rad-7 and the 21" CRT is a Dell P1110 (a sony rebadge, I think).

Desk space isn't really a concern.

Which one would you choose and why?

apac

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2003
LCD simply because CRTs hurt my eyes after long periods of time.

tenoc

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2002
17" lcd = 289 sq in

21" crt = 400 sq in

Does size matter to you, dear? :heart:

Mar 15, 2003
I have a sony e500 (which I think is the same as the dell).. Great monitor.. Try to find a refurb - I got mine for $250 shipped! People are still in awe of my massive CRT while 17" LCDs have become rather passe...

pulse8

Lifer
May 3, 2000
Originally posted by: freedomsbeat212
I have a sony e500 (which I think is the same as the dell).. Great monitor.. Try to find a refurb - I got mine for $250 shipped! People are still in awe of my massive CRT while 17" LCDs have become rather passe...

Well, I came into both for free. I'm just wondering what others would do. I'm leaning towards the CRT because it's much bigger, I also use my computer for a television and I get annoyed when the blacks aren't black on the LCD.

Lyfer

Diamond Member
May 28, 2003
You can get a very good 20MS 17" Ag-Nevo LCD at newegg for $388 in either beige of black. My buddy bought one, the quality is absolutely amazing! I can't imagine how 16ms LCD's would look like.:)

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Originally posted by: apac

Run a higher refresh rate. At 120Hz, I could stare at a screen for hours on end without any problems. 75Hz or lower, and I get eyestrain quickly - 60Hz can give me a headache in around 5 minutes.

tmanndsu08

Dec 11, 2003
If it was a normal desk, no way would i go with the CRT. Those bulky things are acient history. However, if you have a super-desk with unlimited space, go for the CRT.

EeyoreX

Platinum Member
Oct 27, 2002
Those bulky things are acient history. However, if you have a super-desk with unlimited space, go for the CRT.
No desk has unlimited space ;) And I hardly consider CRTs "ancient history". Graphic designers and other people who put more emphasis on proper color matching witll continue to use CRTs for a while, as LCDs do not always accurately display colors. If I had both, I would use the larger monitor as my primary and the smaller LCD as a secondary in a dual-display setup. If it were a matter of one or the other, I'd pick the CRT. I do some graphics work and I prefer a bigger display.

\Dan

araczynski

Golden Member
Aug 20, 2003
if this was a choice between a 21" lcd and a 21" crt then there'd be a choice, but as it is the 21" crt is definately the better choice. unless you don't play games or have no deskspace.

Monoman

Platinum Member
Mar 4, 2001
I'd say personal preference.. I would take the CRT because I use daul LCDs at work and dual CRTs at home and I like the crispness of CRT over the sloppy LCDs. This also depends on the brand as my CRT are professional Viewsonic's and the LCD are dells(not saying they are that bad but compaired to top of the line CRTs....)

Mitch

rbV5

Lifer
Dec 10, 2000
I'd go with the CRT for both the larger desktop and resolution support.

tizodq

Sep 17, 2001
i had a 17" LCD that my parents were letting me use for awhile until i got a new monitor. i picked up the Dell P1110 and there is now what that i would go back to an LCD. The colors are way better on the crt then the LCD, plus the monitor is huge.

apac

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2003
Originally posted by: Jeff7
Originally posted by: apac

Run a higher refresh rate. At 120Hz, I could stare at a screen for hours on end without any problems. 75Hz or lower, and I get eyestrain quickly - 60Hz can give me a headache in around 5 minutes.

I used to run at around 100 on my old computer and it definitely hurt my eyes after about half an hour of use. I've never used a 21" monitor, but I'm quite happy with my 17" NEC 1760V. I can see why he'd want the larger one if he uses it for a TV - I have a 27" flat tube sony for that.

Apr 17, 2003
i own a P1110, i image compared to my 19 inch envision LCD is $hit. once you go lcd you never go back. also the p1110 weights a ton

yhelothar

Lifer
Dec 11, 2002
I also own an P1110. I got a crappy refurb. The horizontal lines get blurry when I turn up the brightness(anyone else experience this?), though everything else is razor sharp, especially the text. The colors are awesome, very vibrant, much better than my old dull shadowmask. Though another problem with this refurb, the convergence is slightly off and is not uniform across the entire monitor, and there's no way I can fix it from the settings in the OSD.

despite it's problems, the image quality is still awesome, I would take it over any dull LCD that has washed out colors(which is pretty much every LCD i've seen except NEC looks pretty decent)

poppyq

Oct 20, 2003
Originally posted by: Monoman
I'd say personal preference.. I would take the CRT because I use daul LCDs at work and dual CRTs at home and I like the crispness of CRT over the sloppy LCDs. This also depends on the brand as my CRT are professional Viewsonic's and the LCD are dells(not saying they are that bad but compaired to top of the line CRTs....)

Mitch

Have you actually put the two side-by-side to compare? I had the Dell 21" trinitron, I thought it was nice....until I put my new Dell 1800FP LCD next to it. It puts the Dell 21" CRT to shame in brightness and clarity, keep in mind though that the LCD is using DVI and the CRT was using VGA