209 publicly-reported accidental shootings by children so far in 2015

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Pipeline 1010

Golden Member
Dec 2, 2005
All those knives and cleaning supplies in the home are used every week in most of the hundreds of millions of households in America.

And all those handguns? Oh, that's right, they sit around unused, just waiting to be accidentally discharged.

Your assertion: our right to own something is predicated upon the frequency of our use of that item. This is nothing short of utter tyrant-fantasy bullshit.

Growing up, I shot my firearms FAR more than I used Drano. Your argument is that the Drano was just sitting around unused, just waiting to be accidentally ingested by a child. False. In actuality, it was just sitting around unused, just waiting to unclog a drain in the even that one should become clogged. We could literally go YEARS without using the dangerous Drano. Do you know what we did in the mean time? We stored it safely in a place that children could not access. See how that works shitbrain?

Last edited:

Pipeline 1010

Golden Member
Dec 2, 2005
In other words, I'm questioning the assumption these gun owners are making that these guns will keep them safe. And I'm questioning their assumptions that they're capable of storing their guns securely 100% of the time. Not 9,999 out of 10,000 times. I mean 100%. Not possible.

This is not a standard that we hold any other household item to. Why, specifically, should it apply to guns, and not to things like swimming pools which actually kill more children than guns? Is it really dead children you care about or is it guns? Take a stand.

Last edited:

Pipeline 1010

Golden Member
Dec 2, 2005
I'm confused as well, and I don't even own a gun. This is like asking how often I forget to lock the door to my house. The answer is never. I never forget to lock my door.
I guess a more appropriate question is how often I leave a kitchen knife laying around. I mean like how often do I walk into the living room while holding a plate of something, put down the razor sharp knife, and then forget where I put the knife. I don't think I've ever put a knife down then walked away from it. Nobody does that.

edit
I shouldn't say nobody. I saw an episode of Hoarders where a lady would just throw diabetic needles on the floor. That person should never own a gun. They also should never have kids, but sadly, she had a daughter who had to live in that shit hole :(

Beware of the person who says that you should lose your rights because some asshole who isn't you does things that you don't do.

Venix

Golden Member
Aug 22, 2002
Why has this thread's title still not been fixed? It's been over 12 hours since OP was informed that it's factually incorrect.

OP preaches about the importance of "accurate information," yet refuses to correct his blatantly false thread title and posts. Is "accurate information" a euphemism for "lies and propaganda?"

Pipeline 1010

Golden Member
Dec 2, 2005
Why has this thread's title still not been fixed? It's been over 12 hours since OP was informed that it's factually incorrect.

OP preaches about the importance of "accurate information," yet refuses to correct his blatantly false thread title and posts. Is "accurate information" a euphemism for "lies and propaganda?"

By now it should be blindingly obvious that OP is primarily interested in propaganda and has not the least interest in truth and fact.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
http://www.cdc.gov/HomeandRecreationalSafety/Water-Safety/waterinjuries-factsheet.html

Every day, about ten people die from unintentional drowning. Of these, two are children aged 14 or younger. Drowning ranks fifth among the leading causes of unintentional injury death in the United States.1

So which is a bigger problem? Because I think taking that gun control money and putting it into swimming classes and fences around pools will save more lives. :rolleyes:

One of many issues with the gun control movement: They're only about saving lives as long as the scary guns hiding under their beds are implicated. Just look at all the energy put into useless assault weapons bans. Even if they worked perfectly they'd affect less than 5% of all gun crime, but that doesn't stop the gun control movement from making them top priority.

Last edited:

NesuD

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
My estimate is fine. Only someone in denial - or attempting to evade dealing with the issue - would argue that 208 isn't the tip of the iceberg.

Estimates are guesses based on a partial set of known facts. The fewer facts in the partial set the less accurate the estimate becomes. Your estimate is based on almost no facts at all. Most people call that a fairy tale.

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
Yes it is.

They're in a gun safe. But that's actually pretty pointless because these are pre-charged pneumatic (PCP) airguns and require a high-pressure tank to pressurize the pressure cylinders (which are unique to the specific gun, rather expensive, and need to be special-ordered). So locking up the pressure cylinders is pretty much all that's needed for the safety of the airguns. The guns are in a safe mostly to prevent them from being stolen (these airguns are not cheap).

The greater danger is from pellets. They're made of lead, which is toxic. Not good for the environment. But they're in the gun safe, too.

You're an airsoft gun owner/player... ? It all makes sense now.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
The difference, all you morons, is that all of these other things are intrinsically useful/enjoyable/beneficial/even essential to life. So the benefits from these other activities are huge.

Ignoring the obvious fact that guns are beneficial and intrinsically useful what about stairs? I don't know anyone that actually enjoys them and they certainly aren't essential to life. There is a very obvious and much safer opportunity to replace all stairs with elevators.

But instead we keep on installing stairs even though they are especially dangerous to the young, infirm and elderly. While I can't find any data on 2015 every year I can find data for stair deaths are considerably higher as a percent of population than the gun deaths you site

http://danger.mongabay.com/injury_death.htm
http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2011/oct/28/mortality-statistics-causes-death-england-wales-2010

That said, responsible gun owners should certainly take proper care and precaution with their guns

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
They're in a gun safe. But that's actually pretty pointless because these are pre-charged pneumatic (PCP) airguns and require a high-pressure tank to pressurize the pressure cylinders (which are unique to the specific gun, rather expensive, and need to be special-ordered). So locking up the pressure cylinders is pretty much all that's needed for the safety of the airguns. The guns are in a safe mostly to prevent them from being stolen (these airguns are not cheap).

The greater danger is from pellets. They're made of lead, which is toxic. Not good for the environment. But they're in the gun safe, too.

So what you are saying is that at any moment, you're gun safe could be left open, a kid could both swallow a lead pellet, and shoot another kids eye out, possibly kill him if while struck he falls from a great enough height to cause death. The shooter, now traumatized from accidentally killing his friend, and also lead poisoned, which is linked to higher levels of criminality, could end up a murderer....And you're okay with that because you like TARGET PRACTICE?

What the hell is wrong with you?

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005
Ignoring the obvious fact that guns are beneficial and intrinsically useful what about stairs? I don't know anyone that actually enjoys them and they certainly aren't essential to life. There is a very obvious and much safer opportunity to replace all stairs with elevators.

But instead we keep on installing stairs even though they are especially dangerous to the young, infirm and elderly. While I can't find any data on 2015 every year I can find data for stair deaths are considerably higher as a percent of population than the gun deaths you site

http://danger.mongabay.com/injury_death.htm
http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2011/oct/28/mortality-statistics-causes-death-england-wales-2010

That said, responsible gun owners should certainly take proper care and precaution with their guns
Guns kept solely for self defense have a much greater cost than benefit.

Stairways have a much greater benefit than cost.

Was that so hard?

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011

Stairways have a much greater benefit than cost.

Was that so hard?

Nobody keeps a gun solely for self defense. They also target practice with it, break it down and clean it, the gun itself fosters an interest in other guns, which may be eventually used for hunting, or even more target practice.

The crux of your argument is flawed to begin with.

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
Everything he has said is flawed. He has lied, stretched the truth, made up numbers, etc. He just looks silly. It's really embarrassing, I almost feel badly for him.

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005
Nobody keeps a gun solely for self defense. They also target practice with it, break it down and clean it, the gun itself fosters an interest in other guns, which may be eventually used for hunting, or even more target practice.

The crux of your argument is flawed to begin with.
Cleaning a gun used solely for self-defense doesn't change the fact that the gun is solely for self defense. A gun MUST periodically be cleaned/maintained because not doing so would impair its self-defense purpose. But cleaning and maintenance is not the REASON the person keeps the gun.

Similarly, if a person periodically target shoots to retain their shooting skills, but the PURPOSE of those skills is self-defense, then that doesn't change the REASON the persons keeps the gun.

Contrast the above with someone who purchased a gun because they intrinsically enjoy target shooting. THAT is a gun NOT purchased "solely for self defense."

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005
Everything he has said is flawed. He has lied, stretched the truth, made up numbers, etc. He just looks silly. It's really embarrassing, I almost feel badly for him.
I have to admit, you're great at self-delusion.

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
Cleaning a gun used solely for self-defense doesn't change the fact that the gun is solely for self defense. A gun MUST periodically be cleaned/maintained because not doing so would impair its self-defense purpose. But cleaning and maintenance is not the REASON the person keeps the gun.

Similarly, if a person periodically target shoots to retain their shooting skills, but the PURPOSE of those skills is self-defense, then that doesn't change the REASON the persons keeps the gun.

Contrast the above with someone who purchased a gun because they intrinsically enjoy target shooting. THAT is a gun NOT purchased "solely for self defense."

Sorry, but you can't just try and frame an argument incorrectly in order to win it. That's just building a straw man.

The purpose of a gun is to expend the energy of the bullet. That is really it's sole purpose. And never was a gun purchased for it to be used SOLELY for self defense, you even agreed with that, because they are shot at targets, cleaned, and looked at and admired. And everybody who purchases a gun with the possibility of being prepared to use it for self-defense, also enjoys target shooting. So I don't see what you are trying to say.

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005
Sorry, but you can't just try and frame an argument incorrectly in order to win it. That's just building a straw man.

The purpose of a gun is to expend the energy of the bullet. That is really it's sole purpose. And never was a gun purchased for it to be used SOLELY for self defense, you even agreed with that, because they are shot at targets, cleaned, and looked at and admired. And everybody who purchases a gun with the possibility of being prepared to use it for self-defense, also enjoys target shooting. So I don't see what you are trying to say.
Let me prove to you how stupid your argument is:

It's not true that most people purchase door hinges solely to allow doors to swing open and swing closed. I can prove this because periodically people must oil and clean their door hinges.

Airplanes aren't purchased solely to transport people, because they have to be maintained, and pilots need to practice flying them.

The hamburger I bought last year at McDonald's wasn't purchased solely to feed me, because I had to take the hamburger out of its box, look at it, and position the hamburger right in front of my mouth.

Wow. I've learned so much from you today.

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
I have to admit, you're great at self-delusion.

What I said was true. It has been pointed out several times that your title is wrong, it is a lie. You made up numbers claiming that it is higher than 208 by some reasoning only you agree with. That was pointed out too.

Round and round you go. About done talking about it, you can't grasp the truth.

Londo_Jowo

Lifer
Jan 31, 2010
londojowo.hypermart.net
LMAO!!! I bet you think this thread actually has made a difference and you're changing minds on gun control. When in fact all you've done is used a dishonest statement to build a strawman argument.

Chiropteran

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2003
This is awesome news. I don't know why people are trying to paint this as a problem- this is Darwin in action, a modern variant of survival of the fittest.

Anyone stupid enough to leave deadly weapons in reach of toddlers deserves what they get. We should not be doing anything to prevent this! We don't want people this stupid to be alive.

Chiropteran

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2003

Based on flawed statistics and numbers.

Really, you can't put a price on killing someone who is really, really annoying. Even if the cost of owning a gun is $500,000, to throw a number out there, it's still worth it if it lets you kill one annoying idiot.