209 publicly-reported accidental shootings by children so far in 2015

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Read the posts. Find the links. I'm not going to keep repeating myself simply because you're too lazy to read.

I've read every one, and b-t-w the site/article you linked in your OP is atrocious.

The author keeps bringing in the 'gun in homes' issue yet that's not what the info is about. It doesn't really support it. I checked a few of the articles linked in that site and some have nothing to do with guns in the home. One linked example is about a kid who accidentally shot his hunting instructor while out in the woods. WTH does that have to do with properly securing a gun in home if there are kids around? Not a damn thing.

Another one is two young men handling a gun and one is accidentally shot. The parents claim they've never seen the gun. So these kids got hold of a .22 handgun unbeknownst to the parents. Clearly the parents couldn't be expected to properly store a gun that wasn't theirs and they didn't even know about. Here again this example has nothing to do with the issue of gun storage.

Also, it appears that anyone can submit an example. Obviously no one is editing/confirming these examples or those I listed above wouldn't be included.

And I think the inclusion of 'kids' up to the age of 17 is absurd. A 3 yr old or 8 yr old getting hold of a gun is outrageous, but 16 or 17?

If I happen to be away from home but my 16 yr old son is there shouldn't he be able to access my gun for self defense? Do I only care about his security if I happen to be around? Of course not. He will know how to get the gun if needed. I WANT him to be able to do that.

IMO your position is driven by fear. And that fear is usually caused by ignorance. My son was, at a very very young age, given 'gun instructions' by me. I can control the lock up etc of my guns in my house but I can't control other peoples' guns in their homes. So, at say, age 5 he knew how dangerous guns were and what to do if at some friend's house and a gun turns up (get away ASAP and tell an adult etc.).

There are some really simple rules that are terribly effective that even little kids can learn. E.g., don't point a gun at anything you don't intend to destroy/shoot/kill, always treat a gun as if it is loaded (no matter who claims it's unloaded) and never put your finger on the trigger unless you intend to shoot, to name a few. IMO, this type safety stuff should be taught in 1st grade since so many parents are apparently too stupid to teach their kids themselves.

Fern

Chiropteran

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2003
"Homicides" and "unintentional shooting deaths or injuries" are listed as separate items with separate counts.

And what category do you think felony murder falls under? HINT: it's not called felony manslaughter. Felony murder would obviously count as a homicide.

Furthermore, there was never any claim here that the "gun owner" him- or herself was at higher risk. The claim was that the gun would do more harm than good.

Okay. Then we just have a basic different way of thinking. If you think killing a criminal intruder is more harm than good, then there is no hope for you. You obviously lack proper moral understanding of right & wrong, so you really shouldn't be trying to judge anyone else's decisions regarding guns.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
I see. The site linked in the OP is "opinion?" The statistics linked on shootings in the home are just "opinion?"

Well, for starters, you misrepresented the statistics both in the title and in your posts to say something they didn't. That's still not even the biggest problem.

The statistics aren't the problem. The meaning you're attributing to them and the assumptions and inferences you're making is where the stupidity comes in.

And YOU have provided what, exactly, that isn't "opinion?"

I have opinions just like you, but unlike you, I don't pretend my opinion is fact.

The right-wing modus operandi all over again: If it's backed by figures, dismiss it. Scientific conspiracy, that's what it is.

Citing figures doesn't make your inferences and interpretations correct.

MagickMan

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2008
I've read every one, and b-t-w the site/article you linked in your OP is atrocious.

The author keeps bringing in the 'gun in homes' issue yet that's not what the info is about. It doesn't really support it. I checked a few of the articles linked in that site and some have nothing to do with guns in the home. One linked example is about a kid who accidentally shot his hunting instructor while out in the woods. WTH does that have to do with properly securing a gun in home if there are kids around? Not a damn thing.

Another one is two young men handling a gun and one is accidentally shot. The parents claim they've never seen the gun. So these kids got hold of a .22 handgun unbeknownst to the parents. Clearly the parents couldn't be expected to properly store a gun that wasn't theirs and they didn't even know about. Here again this example has nothing to do with the issue of gun storage.

Also, it appears that anyone can submit an example. Obviously no one is editing/confirming these examples or those I listed above wouldn't be included.

And I think the inclusion of 'kids' up to the age of 17 is absurd. A 3 yr old or 8 yr old getting hold of a gun is outrageous, but 16 or 17?

If I happen to be away from home but my 16 yr old son is there shouldn't he be able to access my gun for self defense? Do I only care about his security if I happen to be around? Of course not. He will know how to get the gun if needed. I WANT him to be able to do that.

IMO your position is driven by fear. And that fear is usually caused by ignorance. My son was, at a very very young age, given 'gun instructions' by me. I can control the lock up etc of my guns in my house but I can't control other peoples' guns in their homes. So, at say, age 5 he knew how dangerous guns were and what to do if at some friend's house and a gun turns up (get away ASAP and tell an adult etc.).

There are some really simple rules that are terribly effective that even little kids can learn. E.g., don't point a gun at anything you don't intend to destroy/shoot/kill, always treat a gun as if it is loaded (no matter who claims it's unloaded) and never put your finger on the trigger unless you intend to shoot, to name a few. IMO, this type safety stuff should be taught in 1st grade since so many parents are apparently too stupid to teach their kids themselves.

Fern

Well said.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Guns kept solely for self defense have a much greater cost than benefit.

Stairways have a much greater benefit than cost.

Was that so hard?

I disagree with this. The benefit is not something you can say is worth a set number.

IF you live in a area where police are 20-40 minutes away (many counties in the US depend on county sheriffs not city police) a gun is a great piece of mind. Not to mnetion IF you use it to protect your family (i know a very low percent of people do) then that gun just became priceless ot the family in terms of "worth".

shrug. not that it matters. so far you have lied and twisted what people say. Keep it up! you are a great person to have as a gun control advocate!

MagickMan

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2008
On this issue in particular, the Progressive Left are their own worst enemies. They work too hard to distort the facts to force their agenda, so much so that even their own followers can poke huge holes in their arguments.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
I disagree with this. The benefit is not something you can say is worth a set number.

Oh yes he can. Not only can he tell you that it's not worth anything, he can tell you that it's a fact, because his opinions are facts ;)

You can't determine the value of the ability to protect yourself or your family, because he has determined it to be zero.

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
The website for the air guns, you can just buy online a .50 rifle that can kill a 200lb animal, without a background check?

Hey but since they don't expend the energy of gun powder and instead only release the energy of compressed air. They must be safe, and not only are they safe, but they afford him the high ground of this argument?

Edit: another gem on this airgun site "It is Your Responsibility to Know the Laws in Your State, County & City!"

http://www.topairgun.com/shipping-info

Really taking responsibly selling these lethal "non" firearms seriously.

Last edited:

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
Guns kept solely for self defense have a much greater cost than benefit.

I'd ask for a source to back up your claim but given how this thread is going it doubt any reply from you would be worthwhile.

As a side note I tend to find that if the 99.8% of ATP&N is one one side of things the .2% might want to take a pretty close look at their view. (Because that rarely happens)