Discussion 2021-07 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 21H1for x64-based Systems (KB5004237)

Z15CAM

Platinum Member
Nov 20, 2010
www.flickr.com
It's just about impossible to keep up with MS updates and I got no clue what MS is doing and takes almost 15 minute on a fast computer to Intall ;o)

Reactions: Robm

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
The latest update was pretty quick on my laptop and desktop (the only two it's installed on so far).

I'm just glad it didn't wipe out all my sound card settings/customizations like the last update did. It took me a few days to get everything retuned back to what I had saved. :oops:

I looked in the "what's new" section of this update, and from what I can tell, there's seven "new" features listed that don't do/impact anything I do with my PCs.

Z15CAM

Platinum Member
Nov 20, 2010
www.flickr.com
That KB can Ad 3 GB of crap on your WINX Boot drive - Suggest your run DiskCleanUp and CCleaner with countless reboots.

Snd Card - It didn't affect mine using i-Sound, Adobe Audition and a Screen Capture app from Camtasia.

I actually reduced my C: drive by 1 GB after that update running Disk Clean Up and CCleaner with endless reboots after that MS UpDate - Took me over a hour to do though ;o)

I trust MS has finally given up attacking our Snd Card configurations.

Last edited:

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Reboot took about 1 min for me. Still have 21H1 feature update as a optional update FWIW.

I can't remember where MS keeps it's update/rollback folder but my Windows folder is 22.7GB.

Edit: I've heard the ccleaner has been pretty shady lately. You might look into that. I would use it all the time but I hesitate to install on this PC.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I can't remember where MS keeps it's update/rollback folder but my Windows folder is 22.7GB.
It should be able to be seen in disk cleanup (otherwise Windows moves the previous installation to the Windows.old folder. My Windows folder is just over 21 GB with all the latest updates installed. I believe when I went from Windows 7 to Windows 10, the old folder was a separate entry under the disk cleanup area and was in the 20 GB range in size.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...d-folder/487a63fd-b32c-47e2-9728-fdb9b91581b2

2.jpg

Reactions: balloonshark

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
It should be able to be seen in disk cleanup (otherwise Windows moves the previous installation to the Windows.old folder. My Windows folder is just over 21 GB with all the latest updates installed. I believe when I went from Windows 7 to Windows 10, the old folder was a separate entry under the disk cleanup area and was in the 20 GB range in size.
I don't see that folder. I also don't see a previous windows installations when running cleanup. My cleanup Windows update cleanup is 6.57GB though.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I don't see that folder. I also don't see a previous windows installations when running cleanup. My cleanup Windows update cleanup is 6.57GB though.
From what I can tell, Windows (10 at least) only creates a Windows.old folder when you upgrade from a previous Windows version, or do something like a "reset this PC" action. Those two things are the only thing I've noticed that creates that folder.

Maybe it also does when there is a major spring/fall Windows feature update, but I know the typical updates only creates a smaller "Windows Update Cleanup" option under disk cleanup.

Steltek

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...d-folder/487a63fd-b32c-47e2-9728-fdb9b91581b2

View attachment 47159

I believe Win10 only keeps a Windows.old folder for 10 days after an upgrade before automatically deleting it. At least with ver 21H1, the option to delete the prior version of Windows was moved under "Change how Storage Sense frees up space" (which is essentially the Storage Sense settings page).

1626348207099.png

Last edited: