2020 Formula Boinc Sprints

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Orange Kid

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Milkyway day two.
We have slipped to 4th, but lots of time left. Go knock on your neighbors doors, call a friend
dig through your couch for spare change. We can take back third, I feel it in my bones or maybe that is just the change in weather. Whatever, onward.... :) :beercheers:
1590275385067.png

From FreeDC

1590276059498.png

TennesseeTony

Elite Member
Aug 2, 2003
www.google.com
Well poo poo. It has been 24 hours since I last checked my systems. Just checked and my triple 280X was running, but 2 of 3 had down-clocked to half speed (overheated again).

Worse, the system with the Radeon VII had lost connection with all clients. The 'start menu' had no icons, and the power options window would not open until I pressed the power button. Then the sleep/lock/restart/shutdown pop up window was garbled. After a hard reset, it seems to be back to normal.

I was quite busy yesterday. My sister got re-married, a lot of out of state company came in, and I took 2 Canons to the church and 'shot' everyone there, multiple times. (and I have the pics to prove it ;) ) Eeeh, that might be distasteful humor..... but I am going to leave it. :smilingimp:

Fardringle

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2000
I added some nVidia, not all. It's painful to watch them get smoked by my old AMD GPUs
So Nvidia cards just don't do as well in this project? I guess that explains the low credits I am getting compared to other GPU projects.

Granted I don't have anything particularly special, but my three computers with Nvidia GPUs (1060, 750Ti, and dual Quadro 4000) are all getting about 1/4-1/3 as much per day on MilkyWay as they did on previous projects I've been running...

Howdy

Nov 12, 2017
@Fardringle
Nope, one of the few if not only projects where AMD is king /using specific GPUs with DP. (in the GPU world that is) If you want to use nVidia, you need to set up to a Titan that has DP or go older to (I believe) the 780(?)

Last edited:

UBT - Mikee

May 24, 2020
Hey @UBT - Mikee !!

I tried to join your forum 2 days ago to say hi, but it wouldn't accept either of my gmail addresses.

We are all very impressed here! :) Tell ChelseaOilman hello for us!

Thanks for stopping in! :cool:

Hi

We all thought you had a massive bunkers to drop at the end! Good race though.

Tim says if you PM at, say, Milkyway, he'll grant access/membership to our forum.

Mike

Fardringle

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2000
Hi

Not impressed then? Not one for me as I don't use Linux, other guys in the team seem to like it though!

Mike
I suspect that "other guys like it" comment might be pointing at me since I've been running the project for a bit. But no, I don't like it. Science seems sketchy at best, support doesn't seem to exist at all. I'm only running it to get another milestone on my Free-DC stats. :p

But I'll keep running it for the sprint to maybe get the team a couple of points...

Edit: The project is also currently out of work. I have several hundred tasks stockpiled, but they won't last very long on my Ryzen 9 (running in a Linux VM). I'll see how many it can finish to make a mini dump when the sprint starts. ;)

Edit again: Looks like people hitting the site to stock up for the sprint have managed to crash the site database. Can't log in or view server status right now.

Last edited:

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
Do they like the science behind it? :smilingimp: :innocent:

A lot of smart people don't.

Alex Kruppa said:
I adivse anyone against spending any non-trivial amount of cpu time on this algorithm. How it works is quite clear and well understood, as is the fact that is has no chance of finding a factor of appreciable size (except some rare cases where (N-1,p-1) is very large, and for those there are much better methods). This algorithm is useless, running it on more cpus won't make it any better.
R. D. Silverman said:
Bearnol's claim to the contrary, I understand his proposal quite well. It is strictly an exponential time algorithm and is actually worse than trial division. It is pointless.

One could make the argument that mining cryptocurrency is more useful. :smilingimp: :innocent:

Kiska

Golden Member
Apr 4, 2012
Well it seems like people aren't adhering to those statements :D

results_wanless-pinpoint=1590554176,1591245376.png

• Haha
Reactions: Fardringle

Fardringle

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2000
Well, the site has been unresponsive since just a few minutes after UTC 20:00, so there won't be much results reporting or stats for a while...

The Sprint stats page still shows zero for everyone, so I guess they haven't been able to connect to the site either.

Reactions: TennesseeTony

Orange Kid

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Wanless Mersenne +2 day one
Well someone got a few results to report. Quite the POS this project is.

1UK BOINC Team25664
2XtremeSystems18620
3L'Alliance Francophone15397
4OcUK - Overclockers UK12243
5Rechenkraft.net10236
6TeAm AnandTech860
7BOINC@Poland658
8The Scottish Boinc Team451
9Czech National Team231
10Dutch Power Cows131